Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kindness does still exist!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

This morning I was running some errands and Pulled into Burger King for a quick bite of Breakfast.

When I pulled up to the drive in window I was told that the car ahead of me paid for me.

My first thought was that it was because I was in my cool old VW.......
those karma thoughts were soon dashed when she said it has been happening for a number of cars this morning. Each paying for the order behind.

So ........ I passed up the free food and paid for the car behind me.

It would be fun to know how long this went on until someone just takes the free food.

A spirit of random Kindness to Unknown others does still live on in the USA!!

It's a good day already!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert

Last edited by djkeev on Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

That's an Oprah thing. My wife used to pay the toll on the New England Thruway for the car behind, but EZ Pass ended that.

As some might know i'm an avid cyclist. There's a bike path that run 23 miles along the beach. Last week I was at the town beach, that has a spray park, with my grandkids. My son left in his car and my wife and I were leaving. The bike path crosses the exit road and the car 2 cars ahead didn't stop for the stop sign causing a cyclist to swerve and crash. I pulled over to make sure he was OK. Luckily he had a helmet on and only had some scrapes to his knee and hand. I asked if he was OK to ride the 14 miles back to the trail head, but could see he as having an issue just walking it off. So I loaded his bike into the car and gave him a ride back to his car. I know the bike path well and always said someone is gonna get killed at that crossing.

Just glad it wasn't that day.

In today's busy and self absorbed world, simple gestures like holding the door for someone or even saying hello can really brighten up a day.

Dave, the person ahead of you touched your life and and you passed it on. Hopefully the person behind you will continue to the good will.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

That is awesome to hear.

About twice a month I will pay for a random strangers meal. My wife & I eat out a lot ... cuz I crawl thru HOT attics for an AC company & usually I'm too wiped out to stand & cook.

Two years ago we were @ Luby's & I picked up the tray of a 32-ish year old in nurses scrubs. She broke down crying, saying the last 4 months were really hard due to her "man" leaving her with 2 young kids. She had finally got back on her feet enuff to treat herself to a meal out.
All I ask is if they have an opportunity to do a random act of kindness for someone then do it, no matter how small.

I feel fortunate that I'm not gonna miss $18 to $25.

Or maybe I'm trying to make up for some bad Karma in my past.

It's things like this that make our world a better place.

Glad to see this thread ...

Keep it going ...

Stay safe ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

I try to do the same whenever I can.

About the time I decide that I am done with the Samba (as an example, reference the racist, bigoted, misogynistic posts by certain individuals on the "Olympics Rant" thread) something like this pops up and I find it easier to ignore the ignorant and enjoy the positive.

When my wife and I are gone our offspring will inherit well. Until that time we get great joy in giving generously to organizations and persons that we admire. Those checks are fun to write.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Not sure who said this ...

The smallest good deed outweighs the best of intentions.

Kinda makes ya feel all warm & fuzzy inside.

That's a good thing !

Stay safe ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

is this a time warp or somethen?? I remember this thread about 3 months ago.... Shocked
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

I try to do the right thing - hold doors open for both men and women, thank waitstaff (amazing how many people don't), everyday things that should happen when interacting with the general populace. Then there is the other side of the coin. I remember distinctly years ago I was in line at the local hardware store (now gone) with a woman in front of me, maybe in her 50's. She was buying 2 small screws.. maybe a total of $.15 cents. She was trying to put it on a charge card. I told the cashier that I knew well to put it on my tab as the charges for the credit card would be more than the price of the items. The customer wasn't happy about that - glared at me, grabbed the screws and stormed out of the store. Oh well.. try to do the right thing and wind up infringing on someone's Visa bill....
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

I try to be nice to most folks, that in general are pleasant to be around.
When I encounter someone in distress. I try to help with either a hand or some money if they are short.
Recently paid for a coworkers lunch. He didn't have any cash on him. Funny thing is. I didn't get invited to the burrito fest. I just covered him meal and went about my way.

When I help out some complete stranger and they offer to compensate me for my time. I simply ask them to "Pay it forward."
The shocked look on the person helped face is, Priceless!

5 years ago. An inactive member here. Asked for some help. He had just moved to the area and needed an oil change and valve adjustment for his 66 beetle.
I had nothing going on that weekend. And offered to lend him my tools and oil drain tub.
When I arrived at Don's house (A complete stranger) He was busy remodeling the interior of the house.
I told Don that I would take care of his car service. So he could continue working on the house.
I was offered a free lunch. I just simply asked him to "Pay it forward."
Since then. We have become good friends. Cool

Holding the door open for anyone is just a kindness that most of us older folks were taught when we were young.
Sadly, some of today's youth, have not learned the same lessons.

Commit random acts of kindness! You never know how it will affect someone else's life.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Every week, I buy & deliver a couple of pizzas to the local police precinct. I took them every night when the city was on mandatory curfew due to the “peaceful protesting assholes”.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Great to hear all of this, keep it coming.

Maybe it will inspire others.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Everyday on the Samba I see acts of kindness. The Samba and (Itinerant Air Cooled) is my only social media thing I have ever had on the internet.

Because of you all I’ve learned so much, met so many great people with VWs, and saved a ton of money on parts and services. With that in mind I usually sign up for the premium Samba membership and get a star next to my name. I don’t need the premium membership. Just my way of supporting Everett and saying thanks. I know he gets some income from ads and advertisements. Doesn’t matter. Because of his website I’ve benefited so much. It’s my way of paying it forward to Jen and Everett. I spend more time learning and laughing here then with Netflix. It’s also feels good to help others on the Samba with things I can assist with.

Today I got my Star back. Your story’s today reminded me to do that. I didn’t have it for awhile because I donated the Samba premium money I would have given Everett to another Samba member who was on a road trip to help a family in need. That doesn’t make me a hero. “vwwestyman” Dave Cook is the hero. That guy is top shelf.

Coincidentally, this morning. Xatie, my wife asked if Dollar Tree sells Christmas stockings in December. I asked why? She wanted to buy a bunch of them and fill them up with stuff to pass out at a homeless camp near by this year. I said well “Not everyone is Christian.” She said “ They don’t need to take them but I think they might appreciate the thought.” Here’s the thing. She is not Christian. She knows a majority of the homeless folks are and just wants to bring a little joy to them.

That girl is golden.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

"Good thoughts, good words, good deeds"

Bomi Bulsara
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
"Good thoughts, good words, good deeds"

Bomi Bulsara

RIP Freddie.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

I wish this was *not* a sticky. It would get more replies as a general topic.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Every week, I buy & deliver a couple of pizzas to the local police precinct. I took them every night when the city was on mandatory curfew due to the “peaceful protesting assholes”.

I guess kindness only goes so far

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

Coincidentally, this morning. Xatie, my wife asked if Dollar Tree sells Christmas stockings in December. I asked why? She wanted to buy a bunch of them and fill them up with stuff to pass out at a homeless camp near by this year. I said well “Not everyone is Christian.” She said “ They don’t need to take them but I think they might appreciate the thought.” Here’s the thing. She is not Christian. She knows a majority of the homeless folks are and just wants to bring a little joy to them.
That girl is golden.

don't worry, xmas stockings have no direct link to the baby cheeses...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_stocking

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Thanks Finster. Katies mom had tickets to Elvis. But Katie popped out. No Elvis for mom. As a joke, Katies mom would give her a lump of coal in her shoes every Christmas. A whacky and lovely tradition.

Link

Lots of kind people on the Samba except for that Skills dude Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

A couple years ago I was at a gas station and the lady at the pump next to me was taking her card out of her wallet to pay and a $10 dollar bill fell out add blew under my car. I was able to grab it before the wind carried it away any further. She must not have noticed it fall out because when I went to give it back to her she just looked scared like I was up to no good. I don't think she even said anything. I felt good and bad at the same time.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I guess kindness only goes so far

^^^^^ Laughing Laughing Laughing
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Kindness does still exist! Reply with quote

Quote:
don't worry, xmas stockings have no direct link to the baby cheeses

Funny, funny scene.

Paying forward at the Dunkin is a tradition at our local stop, I also keep a $100 tab at our local diner for people who look like they can use a hand
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: