Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clunk in Front End - Fixed
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Clunk in Front End - Fixed Reply with quote

Finally had a free weekend and decided to lube the front axle and chase down a clunking noise in the front end. It is becoming more frequent and you can hear and feel it through the front floor. I cannot reproduce the sound with the wheels on or off the ground and have tried to wiggle and shake every part I can think of. Even had the kid jump up and down in the bus. Shocks are new and tight, new tie rods, drag link, steering stabilizer. Haven’t touched the ball joints but when I bought the bus 5 years ago they looked newer (at least the boots did). They are Meyle and the boots are still in great shape.

The noise seems to occur when the front end articulates. Happens backing out of the garage and at higher speeds. Does not seem to happen at any regular frequency with bumps, speed, braking, or hitting/backing off the throttle. It is kind of random but does seem to be happening more often. It’s driving me nuts. Any suggestions on where to look next would be greatly appreciated including whether the ball joints might be the culprit.

Last edited by LazyLightning75 on Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

Ball joints since you say the shocks are good
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

I'm currently dealing with the same thing. It's gradually gotten worse over the last year. It's irritating, because other than the noise the bus drives perfectly. You can't feel anything in the steering, only a little bit though the floor.

I'm 99% sure it's one of the front ball joints, even though they have under 10K miles on them. I am going to be replacing them with higher quality ones and hoping that fixes the issue.

Things I have checked that maybe would help you:

Beam attachment bolt tightness
Beam arm spring bolt tightness
Tie rods
Bump stops
Wheel bearings
All brake hardware retaining bolts
Insured there was plenty of fresh grease in the beam bearings.

For me it's only on one side, definitely the front left. And usually only if the suspension decompresses fast. Like going over a speed bump quickly, or backing out of a driveway with a lip.

Because of the way the torsion bar suspension is designed, it seems to be very difficult to check ball joint play without removing the knuckle. Since the joints are in constant tension.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

Thanks Aeromech and Cap. Situation sounds very similar to Cap’s. I swear my problem is on the driver’s side but my son can also feel the clunk in the passenger side too. Might just be the noise is transferring or i have more than one bad ball joint. Sounds like it’s time to check them since I don’t know when they were replaced last. Your list is good and I haven’t checked the wheel bearings but I’m guessing it’s time to service them too. Just about every other item I’ve covered.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

If you can take off the rubber boot and then press in some molybdenum disulphide grease into the gap between the ball and socket, then jack up the ball joint and rub in more grease, and repeat you may be able to get the creaks to go away.

I did this instead of replacing some creaking ball joints a few years back.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

My 1971 got creaks and groans from small rust flakes in the beam, from being in water too deep once. Had to pull it apart, take out the grease, clean off the leaves and regrease.
alschnier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

I have a '71 w/ the same clunk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

LazyLightning75 wrote:
Thanks Aeromech and Cap. Situation sounds very similar to Cap’s. I swear my problem is on the driver’s side but my son can also feel the clunk in the passenger side too. Might just be the noise is transferring or i have more than one bad ball joint. Sounds like it’s time to check them since I don’t know when they were replaced last. Your list is good and I haven’t checked the wheel bearings but I’m guessing it’s time to service them too. Just about every other item I’ve covered.

At least half of the stuff I listed doesn't even make clunking sounds typically when failing. But I was just listing items I had checked.

If your wheel bearings don't have play in them, and sound fine while you're driving. I'd just add some grease and leave them alone.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

I don't know how the sway bar might produce a clunk, but have we checked there?
72 Baja
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

The driver’s side sway bar clamp was never installed correctly. It’s about half to two thirds clamped on the metal slide piece, but judging by the rust on it, it has been like that since installation. I’m guessing whoever installed it just said, screw it, close enough. Bushing still looks okay and even with the half ass clamp job, it feels pretty solid.

I have new ball joints ordered (already pressed into the included arms) and new clamps for the sway bar. I’ll inspect and grease the wheel bearings while everything is apart, and change the flexible brake lines. It’ll be an adventure in auto repair reading about the lifespan of new ball joints boots and sway bar clamps that don’t exactly fit.

Any suggestions on other maintenance to include or tips to get the job done are appreciated. I have the Bentley and have read a ton of archived posts to hopefully tackle the job without too many cuss words.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

If one of the sway bar end bolts is loose, it may produce a clunk. A sloppy bushing can't help.
Good luck!
72 Baja
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

Installed new ball joints and now she’s as quiet as a mouse. It was also a good opportunity to grease the wheel bearings, install new seals, replace the soft brakes lines, and install new clamps on the sway bar. What a difference and pleasure to drive. Thanks for all the Samba input!
Elibomrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End Reply with quote

Have you thought about a broken leaf in the torsion bar…
That’s what the problem was on mine.

More likely to happen in a lowered bus, not quite sure of the logic…
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clunk in Front End - Fixed Reply with quote

I figured out how to change the title of this thread too. Fixed. New ball joints did the trick and got rid of the clunking noise.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: