Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil or Transmission Leak?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBadBeetleBorg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Oil or Transmission Leak? Reply with quote

Hello,

Maybe this is a dumb question but I've been assuming that I have a leaky rear seal and I'm preparing to fix it when the nice weather is behind me. However I am wondering if the transmission is the issue. How do I know that the leak is engine oil or transmission oil?

I recently jacked up the front end to take a look at some steering components and when I dropped it back down I noticed a large amount of fluid came out from what I assume was where the engine/transmission come together. That leads me to believe that I "poured" the liquid from the transmission portion. Is there a seal on the transmission side that needs to be replaced? Would it have been residual oil in the housing?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for your help!
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil or Transmission Leak? Reply with quote

Put it on your finger and smell it. Transaxle gear oil has a strong odor.

Yes, there is a main shaft seal (transaxle) that needs to be replaced at times
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oil or Transmission Leak? Reply with quote

^^^This^^^

Tranny oil is thick and smelly. Engine oil is thin and almost odourless.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oil or Transmission Leak? Reply with quote

Which fluid is low?
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil or Transmission Leak? Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Which fluid is low?

Dude....you can't make things that simple and easy! Laughing ..whatsamattah with you?

Wink

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Oil or Transmission Leak? Reply with quote

I've read through your threads about your engine issues and I'm very curious to know how you made out with repairing or replacing your engine? Do you have any updates?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: