Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone display their car show trophies?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

For those of you that enter their beetles in local car shows, how do you display your trophies / plaques? Care to share photos?

I have collected quite a few over the past 3 years and now that I finally finished my garage, at least enough to start putting it back together, I have no where to put the trophies. Thought about shelves, and also 5 tier storage racks. Not sure how I'd like to store them.

Wanting some ideas from others
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

Except for one, mine are all plaques. So I just hang them on my bedroom wall.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

ya, I have a mix of both, but definitely more of the trophies. If they were plaques, I'd definitely hang them also. Take up less room
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

I have them on the sewer drain pipe in my basement.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've since tossed out most of them since I stopped having my car judged 18 years ago.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

crankbait09 wrote:
For those of you that enter their beetles in local car shows, how do you display your trophies / plaques? Care to share photos?

What trophies/ plaques?
None of the car shows around here give a shit about an old bug unless it's a VW specific show.
Oh and neither do chicks, but that's everywhere.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

Every generation has its participation trinkets
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

I take issue with sb001, my Volkswagen Thing is a chick magnet at any show I go to, especially a VW only show. Cliff W. in western PA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
crankbait09 wrote:

What trophies/ plaques?
None of the car shows around here give a shit about an old bug unless it's a VW specific show.

Not true about the chicks....the ones over 60 do Laughing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Maybe is you. Think

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

I've since tossed out most of them since I stopped having my car judged 18 years ago.

wise man!

hate to say this but having just moved I saved my trophy shelves for last....and for any of you who have moved before by the last day you are just sick of stuff.
I tossed them all!

I plan to enter shows and support the people who host them but they all need to have a "do not judge option". I felt bad tossing all that stuff in the garbage mostly for the people who put the shows on and the landfill.
I went to a local show a couple weeks ago, paid to get in but didn't register the car. Not sure it would have won anything but I just don't want those plaques or gaudy plastic things, I prob sound like a dbag, but damn most are tacky AF.

-Lucas
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
sb001 wrote:

What trophies/ plaques?

Not true about the chicks....the ones over 60 do Laughing

Razz This is true

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

EasternNotch wrote:
Glenn wrote:

wise man!

hate to say this but having just moved I saved my trophy shelves for last....and for any of you who have moved before by the last day you are just sick of stuff.
I tossed them all!

I plan to enter shows and support the people who host them but they all need to have a "do not judge option". I felt bad tossing all that stuff in the garbage mostly for the people who put the shows on and the landfill.
I went to a local show a couple weeks ago, paid to get in but didn't register the car. Not sure it would have won anything but I just don't want those plaques or gaudy plastic things, I prob sound like a dbag, but damn most are tacky AF.

-Lucas

I've actually seen people at every show I go to pay to enter, but never actually have the judging form on their windshield. They go for the spectators / event, but have no desire to be judged.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

I pay/enter to get preferred parking, could care less about a trophy to gather dust with the others ones I have
I suffer from CRS and don't have a clue where they are Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
I pay/enter to get preferred parking, could care less about a trophy to gather dust with the others ones I have
I suffer from CRS and don't have a clue where they are Laughing

^^^^
THIS

It costs just a bit more to enter and not have to worry about your car sitting in the parking lot next to the minivans and SUVs.

By writing "DON'T JUDGE" you save the judges time and allow others to win.

It's a general rule in the high end concurs shows to "retire" your car after 3 years. Otherwise you're just a trophy whore.

We had a local that displayed his trophies at the shows. He even displayed trophies for a car he no longer owned.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

i too dont know where they are. some about 40 years old. long before i got into bugs.and the ones for the bug...not a clue,we did throw out a pile of trophys about 2 years ago..more like 6 years ago. but there are still some...somewhere. a buddy of mine has around 100 or so from drag racing.he wraps each one in serranwrap before putting on the shelf's that go around his shop. now they just look like ghost up there....about 60 years worth, well probably 40 years worth dating back over 60 years ago. atleast he dont have to dust them.
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

Until I got my Ghia I never had a car nice enough to win anything. Funny thing is the only trophy I have, my crappy primered bus won. I went to a show and most people left early. By the time they started handing out trophies I ended up with "Farthest Driven"

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
i too dont know where they are. some about 40 years old. long before i got into bugs.and the ones for the bug...not a clue,we did throw out a pile of trophys about 2 years ago..more like 6 years ago. but there are still some...somewhere. a buddy of mine has around 100 or so from drag racing.he wraps each one in serranwrap before putting on the shelf's that go around his shop. now they just look like ghost up there....about 60 years worth, well probably 40 years worth dating back over 60 years ago. atleast he dont have to dust them.

Watching pickers one time noticed the boys looking at old racing trophies. Of course they were looking for better known races going back 60 plus years, even early NASCAR. Of course there’s a market for that.

This one I picked up for my wife because it’s well made, old and makes a distinctive paper weight or maybe a doorstop.

Then the unique and handmade one off trophies, these are not going in the trash.

There are less than 100 of these made by local guy that a VW repair shop for about 40 years.

There are a limited number of these made by MST

Another example of homemade 😀

More skills from local Foul Air people

The cheap store bought plastic trophies will get trashed, I’m only keeping the oddballs. 😀
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

I only have one from Bug-a-Paluza this year.
It’s the only show I’ve been in.

Right now it lives in the glove compartment but wherever it gets parked I display it in the back window.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I only have one from Bug-a-Paluza this year.
It’s the only show I’ve been in.

Right now it lives in the glove compartment but wherever it gets parked I display it in the back window.

Just don’t forget where it’s at, that’ll leave one hell of a dent if you close the hood on it, or the back of your noggin if it’s on the parcel shelf if something happens.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone display their car show trophies? Reply with quote

possiably the best use of a oe vw rod Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: