Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12v power for fog lights
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where did you pull power for FOG lights?
Low beam headlight circuit
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Hi beam headlight circuit
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Source independent from headlights
92%
 92%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 25

snuf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I followed this diagram> http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/foglight_wiring.gif
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

From the factory front and rear fog lights are powered thru J5, relay socket #7 on the fuse/relay panel. The relay is activated via circuit 58. The fog light switch carries the full load.
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
From the factory front and rear fog lights are powered thru J5, relay socket #7 on the fuse/relay panel. The relay is activated via circuit 58. The fog light switch carries the full load.

The whole point of having a relay is to handle the amps instead of the load being pulled thru the switch itself. Properly wired the switch should simply “trigger” the contacts in the relay to close so the current flows thru the beefier relay circuitry to the lights.

If this is not accurate, I am sure a Samba electrical engineer will be along shortly!😉

“Scarlett” — 1990 Vanagon Carat Wolfsburg Edition
Tornado Red

Last edited by Red Ryder on Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

Red Ryder my statement is correct.

Last edited by dgbeatty on Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

If the entire current to the fog lights flows thru the dash switch, what is the point of having a relay in the circuit?

Tornado Red
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
Do you have any DOT code on that?

In european regulation you need to wire it to light only with parking lights switched on.
On these vans the OE wiring have the relay signal feed from the licence plate cricuit.
In the late fusebox relay pos #7 is for the fog light relay. A #15 4 pin relay (311963141B) at pos #7 gives unfused X contact positive feed on B20 pin at the back of the fuse panel when the parking lights are on.

The european regulations has it correct (as usual). In severe fog, even having the low beams on will scatter your view via bounce back. The ability to use the true "fog" lamps (not driving or aux lights) on alone with just the parking lights and NO headlamps on is ideal when circumstances are at their worst.

BK
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
ZsZ wrote:
Do you have any DOT code on that?

In european regulation you need to wire it to light only with parking lights switched on.
On these vans the OE wiring have the relay signal feed from the licence plate cricuit.
In the late fusebox relay pos #7 is for the fog light relay. A #15 4 pin relay (311963141B) at pos #7 gives unfused X contact positive feed on B20 pin at the back of the fuse panel when the parking lights are on.

The european regulations has it correct (as usual). In severe fog, even having the low beams on will scatter your view via bounce back. The ability to use the true "fog" lamps (not driving or aux lights) on alone with just the parking lights and NO headlamps on is ideal when circumstances are at their worst.

BK
That's why I went with my set-up off the Parking lights. Although we don't see FOG around here 'that' much, my experience driving in other parts of the world where it's more common led me to want no headlights as an option if I needed the Fog Lights on.
Now I need to find some FOG to try my Hellas out in..... Wink Wink Wink
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

Red Ryder. In answer to your last question "what is the purpose of the relay", it is to prevent the fog lights being turned on in the absence of side and taillights also being switched on. The same thought process and regulations also prevent the rear fog light, singular, being switched on unless the front fog lights are also switched on. These are non negotiable regulations that also apply to aftermarket additions/modifications.
The Europeans take their lighting standards and operations much more seriously than we do in the US. The strictest of all are the Austrailians and the Swiss. In England you will fail the annual MOT if a dash indicator does not function properly.
On a slightly different tangent is my most favorite, the anti noise tire regulations.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
Red Ryder. In answer to your last question "what is the purpose of the relay", it is to prevent the fog lights being turned on in the absence of side and taillights also being switched on. The same thought process and regulations also prevent the rear fog light, singular, being switched on unless the front fog lights are also switched on. These are non negotiable regulations that also apply to aftermarket additions/modifications.
The Europeans take their lighting standards and operations much more seriously than we do in the US. The strictest of all are the Austrailians and the Swiss. In England you will fail the annual MOT if a dash indicator does not function properly.
On a slightly different tangent is my most favorite, the anti noise tire regulations.
What's the Anti-Noise Tire Reg, I'm only familiar with the Exhaust Noise regs for the most part... Confused Confused Confused
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

fxr wrote:

On the right track, but fog has no fuse. And the fog relay coil doesn't go to ground. I would pull the fog 12v + from the same feed the headlights use, IF they go through a relay. In other words, a 30 circuit which doesn't add a load to an existing switch. I forgot to label it, but the fog relay coil connects through the switch to the black/white 2.5 wire going TO the stalk switch.

Duncan
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:

easily done with a relay as well, it seems silly to move all of that through the swtich.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
Red Ryder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

What I have learned from this thread is that there are several ways to wire fog lights. Is that about it?😁

Tornado Red
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

jlrftype7 In regard to the tire noise regulations. Have you noticed how very loud our freeways are? Much of the noise comes from the tires, yes road surfaces make huge differences also. By regulating the allowable tire noise levels a significant quieting is achieved especially among heavier cars and trucks. You won't see mud treads in the summer for example.
Couple that will noise limits on engine noise level, think encapsulation and exhaust noise limits, (a good example is BMW motorcycle quietness) the overall noise levels and there related stresser are reduced.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

valvecovergasket re relays. Yes I agree that a relay to carry the load of the fog lights is desireable. But Vanagons were designed in the 70s and thinking was different then. South Africa made significant enhancements to the CE1 electrical system. For example a relay was added for the high beams, surge suppression in the for form of a TVS was added to the a/c clutch, a handful of diodes were added to the central locking, the 1st and 2nd speed radiator fan load was removed from the fuse panel, more the 4 dozen changes overall. Heck they even added a check engine light. And the wiring diagram doubled in length.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 12v power for fog lights Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
jYou won't see mud treads in the summer for example..

You think there is no mud in the summer?

Maybe in Cali.

AT tires and snow tires are two entirely different beasts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: