Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Lines
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced the main (tunnel fuel line ) with something modern which can handle the ethanol in todays fuel . Also the lines from the fuel pump to carb

I would be opening up the tunnel for repairs .

There is some issue with the old stock metal fuel line, so want to replace it with something modern that's safe .

Thank You
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

therusty wrote:
There is some issue with the old stock metal fuel line, so want to replace it with something modern that's safe.

If the steel fuel line inside the tunnel isn't clogged, broken, rusted out, etc., I would use that.

If there's a real need to replace, I'd use stainless steel tubing myself.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Yes the main tube has some issue , there is a fuel leakage in the tunnel, also I would be changing my floors so I do have a chance to open the tunnel, change the line and use anti rust it .
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

The stock carb fuel line running inside the tunnel is metric 5.5mm OD. The stock fuel hose that mates with the lines are 5.5mm ID. Tubing is measured by OD; hoses are measured by ID.

You can replace the center tunnel lines with steel or stainless steel tubing of the same OD. Though, you might struggle to find 5.5mm OD tubing depending where you live. Consider 1/4" stainless steel tubing (1/4" = 6.35mm) or you may consider upgrading to a larger 5/16" (7.94mm) tubing while you are inside the tunnel. The later fuel-injected Beetles had 7mm lines in the tunnel.
You might need to use adapters at the tank and pump ends if they still use 5.5mm fittings.

I am looking at doing the same thing you are for my '67. I'm guessing the center tunnel line is bad in my Beetle because the PO installed a rubber fuel hose from the tank to the engine for fuel. They routed it along the center tunnel inside the car. Surprised
I bought both 1/4" and 5/16" stainless steel lines to replace the stock line. Two lines will allow one to be the return in case I decide to go with FI down the road. I plan to install AN fittings at the end of the steel lines so the flexible hoses can be replaced with braided stainless hoses.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

I replaced the tunnel fuel line with braided stainless hose end to end
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:
The stock carb fuel line running inside the tunnel is metric 5.5mm OD. The stock fuel hose that mates with the lines are 5.5mm ID. Tubing is measured by OD; hoses are measured by ID.

You can replace the center tunnel lines with steel or stainless steel tubing of the same OD. Though, you might struggle to find 5.5mm OD tubing depending where you live. Consider 1/4" stainless steel tubing (1/4" = 6.35mm) or you may consider upgrading to a larger 5/16" (7.94mm) tubing while you are inside the tunnel. The later fuel-injected Beetles had 7mm lines in the tunnel.
You might need to use adapters at the tank and pump ends if they still use 5.5mm fittings.

I am looking at doing the same thing you are for my '67. I'm guessing the center tunnel line is bad in my Beetle because the PO installed a rubber fuel hose from the tank to the engine for fuel. They routed it along the center tunnel inside the car. Surprised
I bought both 1/4" and 5/16" stainless steel lines to replace the stock line. Two lines will allow one to be the return in case I decide to go with FI down the road. I plan to install AN fittings at the end of the steel lines so the flexible hoses can be replaced with braided stainless hoses.

I have replaced my fuel line with stainless steel in my 54’s build thread, starts on page 29 and goes on for a few more pages. Hoping it helps!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=560

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Thank You, the fuel lines is where I feel we shouldn't cut corners.

I want to do the same install AN fittings with stainless braided line.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

That all good, but get a solid stainless steel line in the tunnel, no joints inside the tunnel, extending out both ends. Then attach to those any way that suits your fancy! It will be safe and look good!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

went through your page , thats a lot of hard work you have done.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

I use this for the engine fuel lines https://www.belmetric.com/braided-metric-hose-oem-...eoh68a28l3
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Here’s 25 feet of steel coated line 1/4. Of all places this came from Advance Auto and cost less than 30 bucks. It’s enough to do a few cars😀

Then I can source this thick wall steel line also 1/4. Both of these are easy to hand form. The stainless would be somewhat harder to work with and maybe more expensive but should last forever😀
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This stuff you buy by the foot, being thick wall it’s gonna last.
Look at the way it’s bent. This one goes from firewall to fuel pump. Not that hard to recreate the factory look and this thick wall will hold up better than stock over time.
therusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Thank You, good to learn
tsutclif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

This is an old thread but deals with similar questions I have. 62 Beetle. I had a bout with two clogged fuel filters over a few months time and decided to have the tank replaced. The clear type fuel filter was on the pressure side of the pump. I know that type of filter and the placement is not the best choice, but it did allow me to find the problem quickly get rolling when I got stuck.

So, new tank, new pump new filter and got stuck again after a few weeks. Filter was clogged. As dumb as it may sound, the shop that replaced the tank must not have cleaned out the metal lines because where else could the rust in the filter come ? Or, will the line just keep rusting because of moisture/ethanol issues.

Questions: Is cleaning out the metal fuel line a good solution if the inside of the tubing is the source of the rust? It would seem as though it’s just going to rust again and clog the filter.

There are rust preventative coatings for gas tanks and if the tubing was rusted, then clean thoroughly, would using that type of rust preventative be the way to go.

Not looking forward to replacing the tubing front to rear as you can surely appreciate.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Quote:
It would seem as though it’s just going to rust again and clog the filter.

I've got a Rabbit Diesel. It had a rusty tank when I got it. Not long after getting the car it stop running, replaced the filter. Back to running. That filter lasted 2 fill-ups. The next filter lasted longer that that. I haven't changed a filter in years but always carry a spare filter and a nut driver in the glove compartment just in case.

Moral of the story, filters are cheap, after you've changed half a dozen or so then you can do more expensive stuff. Your fuel system plumbing will not rust unless you have cheap gas that has water in it or no fuel filler cap. My Rabbit's rusty tank came from being empty for 10 years while it sat in a yard. Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tsutclif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

I learned to keep an extra filter in the car from the 1st time. The car is not driven that much, but unfortunately you don't get to chose when it going to stop running (middle of an intersection) and that is a big safety issue.

I think I will probably clean out the line thoroughly, and also check to see if there are any leaks in the hard line by using a vacuum gauge to see if it holds. I have 63 Vette with 10.5:1 compression (stock motor) and I run Sunoco 98 Octane ethanol free racing fuel. Side benefit is no moisture problems, no gasket issues. I can get ethanol free in lower octane levels as well but that seems like overkill.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

Always run ethanol free fuel in your classic cars that don't get driven every day. Your rubber fuel system parts will thank you. It kasta longer than E 10 and won't absorb water as bad
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

tsutclif wrote:
the shop that replaced the tank must not have cleaned out the metal lines because where else could the rust in the filter come ? Or, will the line just keep rusting because of moisture/ethanol issues.

Questions: Is cleaning out the metal fuel line a good solution if the inside of the tubing is the source of the rust? It would seem as though it’s just going to rust again and clog the filter.

If it was me I would clean the line out really good. If that does not help then I would put in a new fuel line.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

My experience was similar. Newly repaired, flushed, and rinsed fuel tank. New carburetors, (electric) fuel pump & pre pump filter, and new rubber fuel lines. Sunday drives once went fine, next week, run like crap on bottom and worked well once on the main jet. Clean (idle) jets and she was back in business. SAME THING next weekend! DAMMIT! Embarassed It occurs to me that my carbs have no protection from the crap in the metal fuel line. Problem solved after placing another filter right after the metal fuel line comes out of the pan. Happy camper now! Very Happy

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWNate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject: Main Fuel Pipe Reply with quote

It's actually a fairly simple thing to get some stiff wire (NOT coat hangers !) and work it into the steel pipe from the back of the car, I like to bend a small 'U' shape in it and work it in and out, in and out, each time a little further in .

When you begin to feel resistance pull it all the way out, most often the far end if the wire will ave crud or rusty gunk on it .

Repeat until the wire come's out clean .

You can pour in some of your favorite rust dissolver (White Vinegar, Phosphoric Acid etc...) and let it sit a few hours/over night to dissolve the really bad crud .

Don't forget to pinch closed the short hose under the tank or you'll get a serious gas bath when the clog is removed .

After it's been scrubbed its wise to blow it out, you don't need a shop compressor, just use a bicycle pump .

One last Beetle : 1959 #113 DeLuxe survivor ~ 36HP & full synchro tranny, 6 volts etc.
FPGT72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Lines Reply with quote

I have been looking at the hard line in my project. I figure when I am in this deep I should just replace it.

I was going to do a SS line as well, but I had a couple questions:

Is it possible to use the old line as a "pull cable" and use it to fish the new line through.

Should I take a section of normal rubber line, slice it down the center and wrap it around the hard line for a little extra protection from "rattling around" in the tunnel.

I just got the shift rod back in a few days ago, is it more easy with that out of the way?

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: