Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

no regulator
You can either adjust the fuel pressure to work with the carb, OR adjust the the carburetor to work with the fuel pressure.
As long as the fuel pressure is nice and constant, and it should be, then you'll probably be better off without a regulator.

On a weber IDF the float level is easy to adjust and the needle/seat size can be changed if needed, and different types are available. You might notice we don't have total agreement about what normal should be.
Some run the float level as high as 10mm, others drop it as low as 13 Lots of reasons why they sometimes need different setting, but the pressure is one of them.

If it produces 5psi, that's probably FINE, and will work, or you may up setting the float level a little different if needed. Just take it into account and tweak things the right direction and no problem.

Instead of running exactly 3psi because some big head decrees it so, then going up to a 2.0 needle and seat to FEED all that hp you will be making....well your working too hard.
smaller hole higher pressure VS big hole lower pressure....same result.

But if you had a set of kadrons then you better adjust the fuel system to whatever makes em work, ok sure, because.... well, if you've dealt with those you'll probably get it. the needle and seat is available in one size, one type, one quality(not great) and the float level is mysterious.
The weber IDF, no such issues. The float design is pretty darn good.
As I said some people have problems, I believe it, but there are a lot of reasons why and a lot of ways to fix it, so you can choose which one you like to do if you encounter any problem.
If you like regulators, I guess that's fine too, but of course there is always some loss through a regulator, so you end up needing a larger fuel pump to do that all else equal. More parts to break IMO
Some people like gauges, some don't.
That's another thing I like about these pumps is...you don't really need to check the pressure more than once...because, it's working perfect, or it's not working at all. At least 9 times out of ten.
I thought it was impossible for then to partly fail, but somebody said one did, somehow, so it could happen, tho very unlikely. Far more likely the gauge failed really.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Modok! I felt the same about keeping it simpler with fewer parts/failure points and variables.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/carter,P60430,fuel+pump,6256

Here are both the carter fuel pumps. One has a 3/8" inlet and the other 5/16". Both indicate the flow of 15 GPH.
bw65vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/carter,P60430,fuel+pump,6256

Here are both the carter fuel pumps. One has a 3/8" inlet and the other 5/16". Both indicate the flow of 15 GPH.

I notice they do have a slightly different "Minimum Pressure". The P60430 is 2.0 and the P90091 is 1.0. They are rated at the same flow rate so I wonder if this has to do with the outlet being slightly smaller than the inlet on the P60430 causing the slightly higher pressure?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Since the published output pressures of these pumps seem to vary from vendor to vendor, (and the output pressure may very well vary from pump to pump), the way forward is to install the pump (either pump) and measure the output pressure for yourself with a quality gauge on a "T" fitting at the carburetor inlet.

That way, you can decide if a regulator is required based on the pump you have on your car, powered by your electrical system, pumping through your fuel lines, etc.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
I took a Carter apart, or rather I was given one in pieces. There is a spring loaded ball valve forming a pressure regulator. It opens at 3.5psi or whatever and dumps the flow from the pump back to the input.

Would that ball valve be accessible enough to change on one of these pumps we didn't want to ruin? The idea that we could adjust the pressure to meet our needs would be nice.

[EDIT for vague wording]

Last edited by EVfun on Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

The P60430

https://carterengineered.com/electric-fuel-pump-p60430

The P90091

https://carterengineered.com/electric-fuel-pump-p90091

Unfortunately Carter fails to provide max or minimum pressure (PSI) and flow (GPS) on the P90091....

So probably any specs published else where is pure BS...

Sent off e-mail to Carter for more information on P90091 about pressures and flow rates.... Waiting for (hopefully ) their response...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Directly from Carter Carburetors Technical Services hot line...In response to my inquiry on missing data on P90091 fuel pump....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(screen shot of e-mail response)

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Hi yall. Im gonna order the carter P90091 for my beetle, and was wondering if someone could please measure the OD of the pump body for me? I want to 3d print a custom base/mount for it and would like to have it ready for when i arrives.(plus im sick and need something to do Laughing )

also, is there any reason why i cant replace the fuel filter that comes with the pump? I have a nicer one i would like to use.

Thanks
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Here's the measurements from my P90091.
pump diameter 1.6170
filter diameter 1.7065

Regards,
Jason
18 GTI
Some beat up British bikes
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

55rag wrote:
Here's the measurements from my P90091.
pump diameter 1.6170
filter diameter 1.7065

Regards,
Jason

awesome thank you very much and God Bless!
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigredcup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

I am also in the market. I went with the P60430. It is ordered but not installed.
..,But what about the block off plate? should you block off? Should you leave it on just in case the electric pump dies so you have a spair?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Either works although idk if you will burn up the mech pump by running it dry that long.

I ended up getting the p60430. Its way too much pressure for solex carbs. My car runs real rich cuz its just pushing fuel out the carb. You need a regulator.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
bigredcup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

All the fuel lines on my bus are 1/4"
neither of these are 1/4" If I reduce from 3/8 to 1/4 won't that boost pressure? that's not what I want.
I got a 60430 and now I think I should have got the 90091.
It doesn't look like either have 1/4 in or outlets. I might need to change out all the lines...?
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

I'll work on sharing the files tonight along with a hardware list, but here's the final product. Looks great y es muy robusto.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Just in case anybody needs this, I totally independently of this thread had the exact same questions a long time ago about an EFI lift pump application, but the two pumps I was considering were the exact same! Click on the pictures to be able to read them. I realize Mr. Dale M. already posted basically this same thing, this just adds what he thought was the horsepower support level and calls them "both internally regulated"

The typo in the response: he meant to say these might NOT be good choices
(turns out they were good choices because I have slow cars in a world where 1000HP is just a junkyard LS and one eBay turbo away.)

1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

Now you see the Regulator and now you don't !!!!!!

Was using all types of electric fuel pumps and never a problem. Than. I read all the stories how electric pumps start to fail from over or under pumping,
so I buy a pressure regulator.

Big mistake. For a year or two all was fine then my car started to run like crap.

The Regulator failed. Removed the Regulator and the car was back to normal.

What does that tell me-- for two years I ran the regulator and it was totally unnecessary>

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

I purchased a Carter pump with filter for my DC a while back. Did a bit of searching afterwards to buy a spare inlet filter and could not find any specs for it , manufacturer part # or micron size. Has anyone found this info?, I think I read somewhere that 100 micron is acceptable for an inlet filter.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

100 micron on the inlet filter. You don't want the pump working extra hard, delivering fuel to the engine.
10 micron on the outlet side. I placed mine next to the trans.

I ran a Malpassi regulator in the engine compartment.
The cheaper the regulator, the sooner it is likely to fail. See Joe's comments above.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Carter fuel pump/regulator combined good or bad? Reply with quote

I find it frustrating that none of the metal can off the shelf filters state what micron size they use, looked at Cater website, nothing there either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: