Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor Mats
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Floor Mats Reply with quote

I have been looking for some mats to put on top of the carpet in my Super. I think I would like rubber, something not to thick and heavy. I can't seem to find much to choose from. I saw an old picture of Tims mats in his Sunbug while searching something else and they kinda look like what i'm thinking. Open to all suggestions on mats. Not looking for the full coverage type to replace the carpet, just some throw in the car type.Thanks.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

Funny you should mention those mats.

I removed them to do some cleaning, and put them on the top of my wife’s car. She left the following morning and the mats were still on the top of the car. She didn’t notice, and they blew off sometime later when she was driving.

I retraced her route and found the driver side mat, but the right side was lost forever.

They were Ladybug mats. At one time, you could get them in color, or just black. Both versions had the Ladybug in the center. Most folks don’t like these mats, but I have to say, the ones I had were really well made. The one I have left still looks new, and you can barely make out the Ladybug design, because it’s as black as the rest of the mat.

I opted for the ones below, anyway, so I didn’t worry too much about the loss.

Tim

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

irvanm wrote:
I have been looking for some mats to put on top of the carpet in my Super. I think I would like rubber, something not to thick and heavy. I can't seem to find much to choose from. I saw an old picture of Tims mats in his Sunbug while searching something else and they kinda look like what i'm thinking. Open to all suggestions on mats. Not looking for the full coverage type to replace the carpet, just some throw in the car type.Thanks.

I have the perfect mats for you:

Thin rubber just like you asked for, unfortunately the only way you'll be able to buy them is to invent a time machine and go back to early 1970s which is when I think my dad got them, they've been in the car ever since. He probably got them from some long since vanished store like Western Auto or Otasco. Admittedly not really the best fit but they've been in there so long they have conformed to the shape of the floorboards. Very Happy

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Funny you should mention those mats.
I removed them to do some cleaning, and put them on the top of my wife’s car. She left the following morning and the mats were still on the top of the car. She didn’t notice, and they blew off sometime later when she was driving.

I retraced her route and found the driver side mat, but the right side was lost forever.

Mrs. Cusser drove 15 miles, across highway for over half, and her Rx glasses (in a case) did NOT fall off the rear bumper of her Yukon. She had changed to sunglasses after loading groceries at the store, left the non-sunglasses on the bumper, and they were still there.

I've heard quite a few stories of gals putting their purses on top of a vehicle and driving off; think someone left a kid on top in "Raising Arizona".

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

I actually have a full front mat in the clear i used to have in my 56 Bel Air I got rid of several years back. I might have to give up and just buy some cocoa mats.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

You could also check the floor mat aisle at the hardware store and if you find a material you like, you can cut to size as needed

It's what I did for my floor mats.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
You could also check the floor mat aisle at the hardware store and if you find a material you like, you can cut to size as needed
It's what I did for my floor mats.

That's what I did for my bug a few years ago -- they look and have worked out pretty good, in my opinion. Ref. this link and pics below for more details:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8723583&highlight=#8723583

Note also that Chris Vallone of "Classic VW Bugs" has recently started making and selling sets of these ($40, shipped), if you don't want to bother with fabricating them yourself: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2436812

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...

Last edited by baldessariclan on Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

Nice
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

Those are nice, I found a single drivers mat in the basement left over from who knows what Bug years ago and it's ok but I would really like to find rubber.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

How about something like this

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-111-017-505-pa/

1600 SP engine
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

Lots of good ideas, kind of liked the black mats but would really like "ribbed" style. Went to the bottomless pit know as out basement and dug out an old pair of cocoa type mats I had in my Sunbug vert a few years ago (yes, i still kick myself for ever selling that car). I think they will be ok while I search for an old set of Ladybug mats. I didn't realize until Tim told me that the mats I liked were Ladybugs. This is a picture of them in Tims car that I "borrowed".
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
How about something like this

https://www2.cip1.com/vwc-111-017-505-pa/

I have these and I really like them.
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

Not great but what I ended up with for now.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

Irvanm, that’s an old photo of my mats. Lots of stuff has been restored since that pic was taken.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

I found that picture when i was looking for radio delete plates, i have been learning from you for years.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

Hey irvanm, how far away from Gardner Kansas are you?

https://www.varagesale.com/i/vteucrbt-vintage-vw-bug-beetle-rubber-floor-mats

1600 SP engine
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

about 20 miles, thanks.
lboos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

I've had these in for 24 years now, don't know if they even make them anymore. there well made.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

The ones from CIP as shown above are very nice. I used them in my daily driven 1990 Mexican Beetle for years in all weather, including snow, and they held up and were in the car when I sold it a few years ago.

Wolfsburg West makes some that are original style depending on the year of your Super.

Weathertech also makes some very nice rubber mats, and they are listed for Beetles but will need some trimming to fit-but at least there are some options.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor Mats Reply with quote

The Cipi1 Ladybug mats are not the same shape as in years past. Here’s a photo of their offering. Not the same shape at all.

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: