Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Betty" 1966 Sedan
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

I'll start off by saying that this car has been a lifelong goal of sorts. Long story short; a 1966 Turkis sedan deluxe was "the one that got away" for me back in my teenage years. Owning a beetle, preferably a 1966, has been a itch and an unfulfilled desire I've had ever since.
I went into the military straight out of high school, and so it has never made sense to pack up a classic car every few years and risk damage or destruction. Fast forward 20 years; I'm married, with two teenage children and I retire soon - it made sense to start looking seriously at getting a bug again. To work on something together with the kids, take out for ice cream, and date nights with my wife. We found "Betty" in Arizona, and she checked all the boxes I needed in order to pull the trigger: Pre-'67. No rust. Decent interior. Running healthy motor. Uncut dash. All trim intact. Clean pan. And a driver. Needless to say, she's part of the family already - my daughter gave her a hug on the trailer every gas stop all the way home. How we got the car:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This thread will serve as my documentation of what we do with the car as time goes on - the ultimate plan is a full body-off-pan restoration with new interior and a repaint. But for now, we sort through the minor issues and enjoy her the way she is...she DOES need an altitude adjustment once mechanicals are at 100%.
67conv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Beautiful '66! Congratulations on finding your lifelong VW goal..Why would you want to paint it? It looks great in the pictures as is, unless you still really wanted that Turkis one that "got away".. How's the engine?

Previously owned: 72 "Baja Champion SE" Spec. Edition Super Beetle bought NEW; 79 Convertible bought NEW; 67 type 1 savanna beige; 67 2.0 911S; 73 2.4 911T; 63 356 T6 B Cabriolet; 64 356 SC sunroof coupe; 72 Type-3 Squareback; 68 + 69 Type-3 Fastbacks; 87 Vanagon GL Wasserboxer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stauffenberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Very nice! Looks to be in great shape and overall condition! I myself and confused about the repaint as well as I cant see anything in the pictures that would call for it but in person can be different. The interior minus the carpet, headliner, shifter and the ignition looks close to stock. The seat covers aren't correct for 66 but are well done and look great. Not trying to nitpick your wonderful new purchase but if you plan to do a full stock restoration those are the things I noticed.
Now go out and enjoy it!
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for the kind words - and critiques! It's hard to tell in the photos, but while the paint is passable (certainly will clean up decent with some cutting compound and a buffer) it's not great. It was re-painted by a previous owner and has plenty of orange peel, drips etc. It is the correct L41 black, and that is the original color of the car. Prior to that, someone painted it a 70s era super blue and let's just say I'm glad Betty is back to black.

As for the motor - it's not the stock 1300, which again is sort of what we wanted. Original enough, but not so untouched that I feel awful for doing anything to the car. Someone else has ripped off these bandaids before now, but without using a sawzall or cutting on the car (thank goodness). It now has a 1500 single port that's H0 coded from a '67 car if my research is accurate. Body and pan are numbers matching.

My son and I already swapped that hideous shifter out for a wolfsburg part and correct ivory H-pattern knob. I'll post pics...so much better. The car needs some electrical attention but I just had to get rid of that 80s eyesore even before arguably more important things Wink

In terms of the restoration - it's not something for the near future, but will come when the time is right. The car will eventually end up Java green ('66 factory color so it works) with oatmeal two-tone interior (not correct for a 66, but I'm ok taking slight liberties as long as it looks like the 60s when you open the doors). The only real modification from stock will be ride height, possibly a mild motor. I could never do anything that takes away from the period feel of the car, or cut on it. There's boundaries and stewardship involved in my eyes.
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Nice looking '66 for sure! Looks pretty solid, too. Yeah, take your time & do it to your liking. Unless you're a "purist", it won't matter that things aren't "correct". Reliable & appeasing to the eye always works. Looking forward to seeing what your do with your project. Congrats!
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Very nice. Not sure that I would change anything !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Beautiful car, 66 is one of my favorite years. Very Happy
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Car appears to nice, why not just enjoy it...restoration seems like a waste..

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
GreeneHoosier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Solid car. Drive it and enjoy it before you tear into it!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Congrats on getting your dream bug, she looks fantastic! I'll join the chorus calling on you to rock it largely as is. You and the family will enjoy it a lot more as a usable vehicle than a heap of parts in the garage.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Where in TX? VW Harvest is coming up
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
empi3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

And yes some of us saw what you did Applause

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2D8Eo15wE

Steven

1970 Beetle
1956 Ragtop Beetle
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Perfect paint isn't needed imo. If anything it makes the worry meter go off way to much. I would pimp it the way it is. Great catch.
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

We're in El Paso. So we're a ways away, but not out of reach!

empi3 wrote:

Steven

My wife came up with it as sort of a joke, and - it stuck. I asked the previous owner if it had already acquired a name, and it had not, so Betty it is forever now.

As far as any restoration plans go - it will be a good long time before we take the car off the road for any of that!
BSheldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Small update:

The car now has a correct style shifter and knob. The old one was a mess - reverse lock-out plate was improperly installed, entirely over-greased, and extra parts used to get a desired height. Not to bash on anyone, but I am glad we decided to swap it.

The main three issues we're working on now (small, but I want to correct them before we start driving around).

1. Right side high beam not getting power (new bulb, issue persists)
2. Horn inoperative (Tested the horn out of the car - works fine)
3. Emergency flashers not working (Nothing hooked to switch)

A Retro Autosound head unit was installed but never hooked up entirely. In doing so, it looks like odds and ends were disconnected, including the hazard switch, cigarette lighter, and the high/low beam switch wire on the indicator stalk (has a floor switch, which I know is not correct for a 66). I have the wiring diagram in hand, and a multimeter, so more to follow on this.
Geier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Congratulations on life giving you what you deserve and desire. With proper acknowledgment to all who have commented here my view is basic. Number 1 is this is a beautiful machine. More importantly it evokes in you and your loved ones feelings of satisfaction and contentment. When you place your butt in the car what follows is what it is all about. A smile perhaps. Good memories for sure. A reconnection with a wife. Who doesn't like date night? Mingling with friends and neighbors sharing the inevitable VW story that all seem to have. In short, friend you have just made your life emeasurably better. I'm happy for you. Drive it, love it and let the ownership of the car take you where it does. Paint/no paint, fix it up/ leave it be, all are options that only you will decide on. That is,the beauty in this.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Separate fuses and circuits for each side headlight and for low and high on each side, so four fuses.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

BSheldon wrote:
Erik G wrote:

We're in El Paso. So we're a ways away, but not out of reach!

empi3 wrote:

Steven

My wife came up with it as sort of a joke, and - it stuck. I asked the previous owner if it had already acquired a name, and it had not, so Betty it is forever now.

As far as any restoration plans go - it will be a good long time before we take the car off the road for any of that!

yeah thats a ways, most people don't realize that El Paso is closer to San Diego than here in Houston Laughing

car looks great, enjoy. my first was a 66
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

Congratulations on finding such a nice one! I know you’re going to love it.
I recently bought one, too, after a long search for just the right 66.
It’s very interesting that our dashes are so different. I know mine is early, like 10/65.

BSheldon wrote:

Enjoy the ride and the process of whatever you decide to do to her.
1966 Beetle
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Betty" 1966 Sedan Reply with quote

That’s a beautiful car, I too like 1966 bug 😀
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: