Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing Joan!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
John Moxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:

I was getting 'Schooled" on what might be incorrect for a 1967 Karmann Ghia Laughing

Sounds like a good reason to avoid VW specific shows.

Nooo, they're fun, especially if you've got something unusual on your car like a supercharger. Back in the late '90s there were probably only 2 on the UK show circuit. I never corrected anyone, it was fun to listen the high-flying theories. Very Happy

I’ve already had a run in with my local. Posted a request on their Facebook page for anyone interested in a small Ghia Gathering in my end of the state and made the mistake of saying that it seemed that most shows were on the other end.

Hoo boy did the sparks fly! Seems I hit a nerve concerning show placement. It also seemed they thought I was trying to set up another official show on my own. Jeez, was just trying to check out Ghias around me.

So you might see why I am a little reticent to meet up in person.
I’m even a little concerned just posting this tale!

I’ve done a few impromptu Ghia and Bus gatherings in my day by posting on the Samba forums. Told people when and where and who showed up showed up. Car clubs are sometimes lame, too many politics, too many weirdos wanting to be a big fish in a microscopic pond.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

The Terryville CT Bug-A-Fair which is only a one day event sounds like a nice gathering. it's coming up on June 19th. (Father's Day). Last year they had 312 show cars, 80 vendors, and over 1200 spectators. They get quite a nice sampling of Ghia's according to their online information. I'm planning to go.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
The Terryville CT Bug-A-Fair which is only a one day event sounds like a nice gathering. it's coming up on June 19th. (Father's Day). Last year they had 312 show cars, 80 vendors, and over 1200 spectators. They get quite a nice sampling of Ghia's according to their online information. I'm planning to go.

Well if YOU’RE going, let’s meet up!
Fun to have a functioning Ghia eh?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I was hoping you were going to be there so we can meet up. Hopefully there'll be some othesr we know ?
I won't have Regatta with me though. It's a long drive for a car that I have not had a chance to break in. It will have to stay close to home until I've had the chance to make sure everything is reliable. I've put almost 50 miles on it so far though and other then the generator light situation, she's looking pretty reliable.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I was hoping you were going to be there so we can meet up. Hopefully there'll be some othesr we know ?
I won't have Regatta with me though. It's a long drive for a car that I have not had a chance to break in. It will have to stay close to home until I've had the chance to make sure everything is reliable. I've put almost 50 miles on it so far though and other then the generator light situation, she's looking pretty reliable.

I think we are hijacking this thread… let’s move to email.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

I enjoy showing my cars even if there are occasional "know-it-alls" who nit-pick everything! Sometimes I learn new things that are important to me or other "purists." In the right context, it's constructive. I take it stride!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I enjoy showing my cars even if there are occasional "know-it-alls" who nit-pick everything! Sometimes I learn new things that are important to me or other "purists." In the right context, it's constructive. I take it stride!

I tell them they're talking to the only person in the world who knows what right for my car. They don't stay long. Laughing
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Joan is HOT!!
Actually Joan has been running hot.
Last week when I got home from out club meeting I grabbed the dipstick. Too hot to handle. I have a meat thermometer with a 14" probe. I inserted it into the tube. Pegged at 220 ! Shocked

I checked to make sure the thermostat was operating properly. Flaps and thermostat were operating as intended.
The next thing I thought of was my tune-up.

After reviewing the info in the Bentley and additional info in the Performance/engine forums I'm fairly confident I really messed it up Embarassed

First of all I'm pretty sure I confused the two pulley marks believing the left mark was TDC and the right was 7.5
Thanks to the Samba brain trust I discovered the left mark is 7.5 degrees before TDC. The right is 10 before.

When I static timed it I'm pretty sure I set it at TDC instead of 7.5 degrees before TDC. Add to that don't think I disconnected the vacuum and plugged the port on the carb. I believe the result was timing that was waayy to advanced. That would lead to a hot condition.

So, I static timed to 7.5 degrees before TDC, started her up and ran to operating temp.

This time I remembered to disconnect the vacuum line and plug the port on the carburetor.

Final results:
7.5 degrees before TDC @ 850 rpm. vacuum disconnected
10 degrees before TDC @ 850 rpm Vacuum re-connected
Approx. 28 degrees total advance at 2500/3000 rpm.
Dwell Angle 50 degrees.

Took her for a spirited drive. Dare I day she runs even better and so far not as hot.

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Been there!
They run better timed correctly, don’t they?
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

We are just a couple of weeks away from the Ault Park Concours in Cincinnati.
I believe I’ve done everything I’m going to do to ready her.
She will be in the “Contemporary Sports” class. Strange but I guess that’s where the selection committee thinks she best fits.
As I was going over the interior I noticed the bolts for the seat belt receiver “hoop” looked wrong. They were.
Maybe they got misplaced somewhere during the restoration.
Anyhow I found the correct and unique to 67 shoulder bolts and matches wave washers from Bug City.
These special bolts and washers allow the hoop to pivot on the tunnel.

The bolt on the left is correct.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mike Gerson

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

You are really paying attention to detail and putting her back to original. Nice!

I find it interesting how the seat belt hardware changed from year to year and even came brought back to older styles on some years. Is it possible that some years had more than one style of seat belt hardware? As in optional seat belts..?

Your 67 has the chrome loop on the tunnel.

My 68 has the black receiver with white unlocking levers on the tunnel, and non retractable belts. Yet the 68 owners manual shows retractable belts with the chrome loop on the tunnel.

The 69 owners manual shows exactly what is on my 68????? But I don't know if that is what we would find on an original 69?

Don't have info on the 1970 but my 71 however has gone back to the chrome loop on the tunnel like your 67. Very confusing.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Thought it might be fun to visit Bug City one day.
Then I found out he no longer keeps a store.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
You are really paying attention to detail and putting her back to original. Nice!

I find it interesting how the seat belt hardware changed from year to year and even came brought back to older styles on some years. Is it possible that some years had more than one style of seat belt hardware? As in optional seat belts..?

My 68 has the black receiver with white unlocking levers on the tunnel, and non retractable belts. Yet the 68 owners manual shows retractable belts with the chrome loop on the tunnel.

The 69 owners manual shows exactly what is on my 68????? But I don't know if that is what we would find on an original 69?

Don't have info on the 1970 but my 71 however has gone back to the chrome loop on the tunnel like your 67. Very confusing.

I know, it's confusing.
I think sometimes the folks responsible for editing the owners manuals had difficulty keeping up with the changes.
Is the shape of your 71 hoop the same as a 67?

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Thought it might be fun to visit Bug City one day.
Then I found out he no longer keeps a store.

I didn't realize they don't have a shop.
Anyhow they seem to have a great selection of hard to find parts albeit geared to Beetles.

Mike Gerson

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I know, it's confusing.
I think sometimes the folks responsible for editing the owners manuals had difficulty keeping up with the changes.

I actually have 3 hoop catches. I have 2 just like yours and that is what came in 71's. It's strange that they would change to a newer design and then go back to the older one.

I think you mentioned a few weeks back that 67 was the first year that had all carpeting without rubber matts. I don't recall exactly if that's what you stated, but my 68 is missing all the mats and has aftermarket black mats in the front and no mats at all in the back. I thought it would have had rubber mats at first until I read your post.

Interestingly, a few days ago, I drove Regatta over to a friends who wanted to see the car. Like I mentioned, I knew there was no mats but we happen to be on the passenger side and I lifted up the aftermarket mat and there underneath was an original rubber mat! I was pretty happy to see this. Now, I'm curious what would have come on the floors in 68? Rubber mats, or carpet mats that match the rest of the carpeting? And were rubber mats continued as options?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I know, it's confusing.

I actually have 3 hoop catches. I have 2 just like yours and that is what came in 71's. It's strange that they would change to a newer design and then go back to the older one.

I think you mentioned a few weeks back that 67 was the first year that had all carpeting without rubber matts. I don't recall exactly if that's what you stated, but my 68 is missing all the mats and has aftermarket black mats in the front and no mats at all in the back. I thought it would have had rubber mats at first until I read your post.

Interestingly, a few days ago, I drove Regatta over to a friends who wanted to see the car. Like I mentioned, I knew there was no mats but we happen to be on the passenger side and I lifted up the aftermarket mat and there underneath was an original rubber mat! I was pretty happy to see this. Now, I'm curious what would have come on the floors in 68? Rubber mats, or carpet mats that match the rest of the carpeting? And were rubber mats continued as options?

I’m pretty sure 68’s had rubber mats installed.
67’s also had rubber mats from the factory although both of mine are carpeted. That might have been how you picked up on the switch from rubber to carpets.
I owned a driver quality stock 1970 coupe back in the early 90’s.
It had rubber floors too.
I’m thinking factory carpet might have started in 1972?
I’m sure someone can answer. Inquiring minds (me) want to know Very Happy

Mike Gerson

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Well then I am on the hunt for 3 mats instead of 4. Pray

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
kingkarmann wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

I know, it's confusing.

I’m pretty sure 68’s had rubber mats installed.
67’s also had rubber mats from the factory although both of mine are carpeted. That might have been how you picked up on the switch from rubber to carpets.
I owned a driver quality stock 1970 coupe back in the early 90’s.
It had rubber floors too.
I’m thinking factory carpet might have started in 1972?
I’m sure someone can answer. Inquiring minds (me) want to know Very Happy

72-74 had carpet, but you could also order rubber mats.
71 down for sure had mats.
Airhead makes really nice black ones for a very reasonable price. I have a set in my 70 convertible.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

I've looked at Airheads and will likely order a set and remove the original on the passenger side to preserve it. I'm waiting to see if I get a reply from the PO first. Maybe the missing mats are sitting in her warehouse?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Sunday is Joan’s big day!
A good buddy fellow VW enthusiast are leaving at 6am for the roughly 100 mile drive to the Cincinnati Concours at Ault Park.
I’m very excited and just a bit nervous.

https://ohioconcours.com/

I’ve prepared her to the best of my abilities.
Here’s a 9 minute video preview of Joan if anyone cares to watch.
I apologize in advance for my lack of videography skills and narration abilities😀

Link

Mike Gerson

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: