Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing Joan!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Ha!
Love the t-shirt!

Really? The T-shirt? Laughing Laughing

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

What a weekend!
Not only did I get to go "Glamping" at the Cincinatti VW/Porsche VW Reunion Joan's sister Sophia was able to tag along!

I asked my son in law and daughter if they wanted to drive Joan to Cincy.
Knowing the fantastic Cincinnati VW Club has a pre-show campout plus the daughter & SIL have an nice RV I tossed out the idea of camping.
They were all in and invited another couple who were instantly enlisted as road crew and RV drivers.

We arrived around 6pm Saturday. The crew set up camp while I cleaned the bugs and general road grime then covered and tucked the the Ghia's in for the night.

Sunday morning greeted us with a light and steady rain. Fortunately I have a couple of plastic car covers that I placed over the cloth covers.
The rain cleared around 10am. Blue skies and perfect fall temps in the low 70's ruled the rest of the day.
It was a great turnout after the rain cleared. About 275 cars registered for the event!

I got so caught up with family and friends I neglected to take pictures but one of my VW buddy's came through with a couple Cool

Joan received a 'Favorite 30" award!
Laser cut steel plate with the event decal overlay.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sophia ended up receiving the "Best of Show" award in the air-cooled class!
Such and honor for the old girl. She still has it after all these years!

As a bonus I got a very unexpected surprise from a representative from The Dayton Concours who was attending the show.

He asked me I was the owner Joan. We talked a bit about the Ghia's when he informed me he was on the Dayton Concours committee and he needed to talk to me about the Dayton show.

It seems the judges mixed up the scoring sheets and Joan was the class winner! Shocked Shocked

The explanation as to how the mistake was made although unfortunate, seems plausible.....
The "Collector Foreign" class had a 58 MG Magnette ZB, 74 Lotus Europa, 48 Triumph Roadster, 1959 Rover P4 along with the VW's. A 67 - 21 Window, 69 Beetle and Joan.
As I understand it there was a lack of attention to detail when the judges handed their sheets in for the class. They didn't look past "Volkswagen". Thinking they handed Joan's sheet in, the judges instead turned in the Beetle who was announced as the class winner with the 21- Window receiving the 2nd place award.
The mistake followed the Beetle all the way to the award ceremony where all the winners are paraded through the winners circle.
I guess they figured it was too late to correct it.
Anyhow, the concours is committed to making it right and sending me Joan's award, correcting the record on the website and the program for next year.
I'm not sure how they are going to handle the owner of the Beetle Confused Very Happy

It was a fun, crazy and above all, memorable weekend for sure! Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Unfortunate error! At least they are correcting it but someone needs to get things straight the first time. What a great weekend.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Congratulations on both of your Ghia awards!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

The son in law thought the shifting was steadily getting more difficult during the round trip to Cincy.
As I was moving her I noticed how much much more sloppy and vague the shifter was feeling.
I pulled the access cover and was greeted with a totally worn shifter bushing.
The rubber has deteriorated into a gooey mess.
New bushing is on its way!

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Unfortunate error! At least they are correcting it but someone needs to get things straight the first time. What a great weekend.

Thanks!
It was a great weekend.

I haven't posted much lately. (probably a good thing...)
Beth & I have been enjoying our new to us RV. Time is running out before winter and we most likely won't be heading to warmer climates with the coach this year.

About 3 weeks ago the Dayton Concours Chairman sent me the Best in Class award I was to receive at the show.
I believe it's solid bronze on an oak base. It must weigh at least 15 lbs!

I found some white spark plug wire clips and a set of NOS Bosch plug wires at Bug City.
Evidently the white clips are correct for Joan.

Joan got a new shift rod coupler, such a difference!
I would like to find a nice set of 'Hella" embossed headlight rings. I posted a WTB ad. Fingers crossed. I'm not sure there are any NOS or near NOS out there.
Lastly, NGK plugs on the way to replace the Bosch's.
Both girls get an oil change before the winter slumber that's coming too soon Sad

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

I found some white spark plug wire clips and a set of NOS Bosch plug wires at Bug City.
Evidently the white clips are correct for Joan.

Joan got a new shift rod coupler, such a difference!
I would like to find a nice set of 'Hella" embossed headlight rings. I posted a WTB ad. Fingers crossed. I'm not sure there are any NOS or near NOS out there.
Lastly, NGK plugs on the way to replace the Bosch's.
Both girls get an oil change before the winter slumber that's coming too soon Sad

New jewelry for Joan!
I received the headlight rings I was looking for Cool
A very nice but unfamiliar seller answered the ad. Not NOS but in very good condition. Minor surface scratches but certainly respectable enough.

Thankfully the installation was straightforward.
I was concerned the HL ring gasket might slip off. They can be a bear to set between the fender and trim ring. The gaskets stayed in place.
The repro rings are very nice but this is just one more item that lends to the originality.

Joan is running a bit rich.
Tim at Volksbitz did the rebuild on the Solex. I emailed him my concern but nothing stood out as a real issue.
The tune is good although I decided to swap the Bosch Plugs with NGK's which I have always felt perform better.
I found this very informative website that mentions autochoke adjustment.
https://1967beetle.com/the-choke-processes/
There's also a video at the end of the article explaining the nuances of the Solex autochoke adjustment.
With the weather getting cooler Joan's definitely needed adjustment.

Mike Gerson

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Was something wrong with the headlights rings on Joan ?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

69 and earlier rings still carried the Hella emblem, later ones don’t. All the repro rings I’ve seen for US spec headlights don’t have the Hella stamp.
Nice find King.
Crap, I saw the post about the spark plug clips. I picked up a set for you at Hessich, mailed them off and they came back postage insufficient (who knew they actually weighed stuff these day?). So they sit here now. One of these days I’ll send them off again so at least your have back ups.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

I use PirateShip.com. pay online print label, then drop it off at PO. The first thing they do is scan the label then weigh it, and enter in the weight. Never had one get refused, but I always hold my breath Rolling Eyes

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Other than I desired the correct Hella logo nothing was wrong with the ones that came with her.

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

69 and earlier rings still carried the Hella emblem, later ones don’t. All the repro rings I’ve seen for US spec headlights don’t have the Hella stamp.
Nice find King.
Crap, I saw the post about the spark plug clips. I picked up a set for you at Hessich, mailed them off and they came back postage insufficient (who knew they actually weighed stuff these day?). So they sit here now. One of these days I’ll send them off again so at least your have back ups.

VWDodge and I were wondering the cut off on the embossed logo.
I had been texting Lisa Meier earlier and she mentioned that there was a cut off.
Learned something new again!

So, if I understand this correctly....

56-63 is stamped Hella with "Made in Germany" on the bottom. Notched at the top.

64-69 Embossed Hella logo on top. No notch.

70-74. No Hella logo but part # 141-941-175 stamped in blue ink on the backside.

As for the clips I actually need an additional white one so whenever you have I chance to reship I would be thrilled to have.
Do they still do C.O.D.? Laughing
Thank you!

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

We have had an incredible run of beautiful fall weather in central OhIo.
Here in Columbus we are very fortunate to have two very well established Cars and Coffee groups.
One is a weekly event held year round. The latter meets monthly. Season 12 began in May.
Their season finale ended today.
I had to get Joan out for what might be her last event for the year.
Midwest Auto Group (MAG) hosted.
The weather was absolutely perfect. That plus the venue contributed to a massive turn out!

1968 Squareback with 18,600 original miles!
It is for sale

Ferrari LaFerrari

Ferrari Daytona

Mike Gerson

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Nice find King.

VWDodge and I were wondering the cut off on the embossed logo.
I had been texting Lisa Meier earlier and she mentioned that there was a cut off.
Learned something new again!

So, if I understand this correctly....

56-63 is stamped Hella with "Made in Germany" on the bottom. Notched at the top.

64-69 Embossed Hella logo on top. No notch.

70-74. No Hella logo but part # 141-941-175 stamped in blue ink on the backside.

As for the clips I actually need an additional white one so whenever you have I chance to reship I would be thrilled to have.
Do they still do C.O.D.? Laughing
Thank you!

I’ll go to the PO and send them off, I think there are three, next week. I need to isolate a few more days cause I finally got Covid. So don’t buy anymore!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

I’ll go to the PO and send them off, I think there are three, next week. I need to isolate a few more days cause I finally got Covid. So don’t buy anymore!

Hoping you feel better.
Thanks again!!

Mike Gerson

kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

What a difference in weather!
Last week was sunny and in the 70's now we are in the upper 30's.
Winter is coming!
I was able to get the Joan's (and Sophia's) oil changed along with the other winter hibernation prep done.

A recap of 2022
1,112 miles traveled.

Some 2022 Highlights
6-12 Cincinnati Concours at Ault Park "Award of Distinction"
6-26 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course. 'Judges Choice"
8-13 Central Ohio Volksfest. Joan's first appearance at our local VW show!
9-18 Dayton Concours at Carillon Park "Best of Class"
9-25 Cincinnati VW Porsche Reunion. "Favorite 30"

We also attended several local Car & Coffee meets along with a few ice cream runs.
Of course the biggest highlight was hosting Lisa Meier and reuniting Ghiagirl with Joan!

We had a great season!
Looking forward to 2023 Cool Cool

Good Night!

Mike Gerson

theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:

We also attended several local Car & Coffee meets along with a few ice cream runs.
Of course the biggest highlight was hosting Lisa Meier and reuniting Ghiagirl with Joan!

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply. It's been extremely difficult to get back into anything related to Karmann Ghias again. Little by little I'll find my way back.

It was great to finally meet you and Beth. You've done such a fantastic job with Joan. I'm just now getting caught up with this thread on Joan and everything you've done in just one year. You do beautiful work and you have an incredible eye for detail. You should be very proud. I'm so glad you ended up with this car.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Wow, whadda season!

Thanks for the fun recap King!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

Once the holidays are over I’m giving some serious consideration to refurbishing Joan’s front buckets.
The padding is breaking down with the remnants filtering through the springs and onto the floor.
My thought is to remove the material, strategically build up (not replace) the broken down padding. Then encapsulate the pad and recover the assembly with the material which is original and in great shape.
I’m fairly confident the springs and frames are in good shape
Have any of you attempted this? Pitfalls?
As you can the seats are starting to sag, especially the driver side.

Mike Gerson

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Introducing Joan! Reply with quote

The work is never done. Smile

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: