Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosiecece
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

Just bought a great Westy in Vancouver and towed it back to the Bay Area. I’m looking for help in regards to registration and emissions. It has 214,000 miles on it and has had one engine replacement that I can tell. The replacement looks fairly stock but it is a 43 year old bus and has surely had some mods made. It is a non-cat bus. Any help to steer me in the right direction is appreciated. These are nice classics and I can’t believe emissions can keep them out of CA.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

Inspect the fuel lines, post a picture of your engine, take it to get a PRE TEST only, and cue The Bears.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

stop.

Read the smog laws on imports before you go to register it. The big question is, "what state was it first registered in?" Do you have a US title for it, or only Canadian?

If California becomes the first US State it is registered in, then it will be treated as a California car of the year it was made. That means it will have to meet all California smog regs before it can be licensed. If it is already a US registered vehicle then the first state it was licensed in becomes the smog state. California has its own rules unlike many other states.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

Rosiecece wrote:
Just bought a great Westy in Vancouver and towed it back to the Bay Area. I’m looking for help in regards to registration and emissions. It has 214,000 miles on it and has had one engine replacement that I can tell. The replacement looks fairly stock but it is a 43 year old bus and has surely had some mods made. It is a non-cat bus. Any help to steer me in the right direction is appreciated. These are nice classics and I can’t believe emissions can keep them out of CA.

Did you buy that orange one that came up a few weeks ago? It looked in decent shape. I see the ad is gone now.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/new-registration/register-an-imported-vehicle/

If you have imported your vehicle directly from another country (a direct import), you need to register the vehicle with DMV.

To register your imported vehicle, you’ll need:

An out-of-state title (or other proof of ownership).
Evidence that the vehicle has cleared customs.
This includes stamped and endorsed relevant Customs and Border Protection forms HS-7, 3299, 3311, 3461, 6059, 7501.
A weight certificate (for imported trucks and pickups only; visit publicscales.net to locate a weigh station near you).
Applicable fees.
The following forms:
Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
Verification of Vehicle (REG 31)
Lien Satisfied/Legal Owner/Title Holder Release (REG 166) (if applicable)
Statement of Facts (REG 256)
Declaration of Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) Combined Gross Vehicle Weight (CGW) (REG 4008)
Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment (REG 262)

You may also need:

Evidence that your foreign import vehicle meets United States (U.S.) Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS).
This is mandatory for vehicles manufactured after 1995.
This includes the federal certification label attached to the vehicle confirming FMVSS certification.
Additional evidence: A copy of a letter from the manufacturer confirming that the vehicle meets FMVSS and U.S. emissions standards.

Usually you can only get this evidence for vehicles manufactured in Canada.

A copy of the Department of Transportation bond release letter from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
A certificate stating that the vehicle has been inspected by a California Air Resources Board-licensed laboratory.
Evidence that the vehicle meets Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California emissions standards.
This includes an EPA and California emissions label attached to the vehicle.
A smog certificate.
This applies to gasoline vehicles manufactured after 1968.
This also applies to diesel-powered vehicles manufactured after 1980.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

Ah, yes.... this brings back memories when I bought mine out-of-state and tried getting it legal in Calif.

As WilliamM posted a while ago:
"Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Crying or Very sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing "

I hope you get from Crying or Very sad to Dancing quickly, but it's going to involve a lot of Brick wall .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

Quote:
These are nice classics and I can’t believe emissions can keep them out of CA.

This can and does happen. Research before every step or it will happen to you
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

When we lived in the Bay Area, we had a beautiful Vanagon Westfalia (1981) in the mid-90s. After an unsuccessful Palm Springs trip, the engine had to be replaced and we fitted a new motor and toddled off to the smog shop to get legal. Try as we could, the State refused to let our baby pass smog. We finished up donating our new lawn ornament to charity several $s after. We were flagged as "gross polluters" and that was that. Broke our hearts.
Rosiecece
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the advice. The A pillar label indicates it meets the 49 states EPA requirements. But as we know California is a bear. I’m going to take it to Lavere’s in Concord to have him look at it and get his advice. Worst comes to worst I will have to get a catalytic converter and make sure all of the other emission items are in place. It’s a project I’m willing to tackle. I’ll make sure to get a pre-test and make sure it doesn’t get tagged as a gross polluter. It may be non-op until it is ready for smog testing. Thanks all.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

Rosiecece wrote:
Thanks for all of the advice. The A pillar label indicates it meets the 49 states EPA requirements. But as we know California is a bear. I’m going to take it to Lavere’s in Concord to have him look at it and get his advice. Worst comes to worst I will have to get a catalytic converter and make sure all of the other emission items are in place. It’s a project I’m willing to tackle. I’ll make sure to get a pre-test and make sure it doesn’t get tagged as a gross polluter. It may be non-op until it is ready for smog testing. Thanks all.
That is what they will go off of. It appears to be a USA vehicle. You can run the M-Code to see where it was first sold, and that will be the state you want to say it is from. Worse case you can get a title back east in I think Vermont then use that to register it in California.
Rosiecece
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the help and advice. After a lot of work and research, the bus was legally smogged in CA and is now on the streets. The major issue was that the engine needed to be in its original stock configuration and pass the smog emissions. That meant I needed to reconnect the EGR system which took some welding, reconditioning the EGR valve and reconnecting it to the accelerator via a turnbuckle I had to make up myself. It just met the emission limits and I got my sticker. Good for two years. Disconnected the EGR as soon as I got home as it robs power from a weak engine to begin with. After driving it up to now, it is in the garage undergoing an engine rebuild as #3 cylinder valve is recessed all the way to the rocker and showing low compression. The fun never ends. You gotta love it. Bottom line is researching emission laws in CA was very confusing. Even the DMV was unsure how to handle this situation. I’m glad it all turned out ok.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Westy imported to CA from Canada Reply with quote

Rosiecece wrote:
Thanks to all for the help and advice. After a lot of work and research, the bus was legally smogged in CA and is now on the streets. The major issue was that the engine needed to be in its original stock configuration and pass the smog emissions. That meant I needed to reconnect the EGR system which took some welding, reconditioning the EGR valve and reconnecting it to the accelerator via a turnbuckle I had to make up myself. It just met the emission limits and I got my sticker. Good for two years. Disconnected the EGR as soon as I got home as it robs power from a weak engine to begin with. After driving it up to now, it is in the garage undergoing an engine rebuild as #3 cylinder valve is recessed all the way to the rocker and showing low compression. The fun never ends. You gotta love it. Bottom line is researching emission laws in CA was very confusing. Even the DMV was unsure how to handle this situation. I’m glad it all turned out ok.

The EGR only causes trouble when it is installed improperly. When properly installed it only works when the engine is in cruise. When you hit Wide Open Throttle or close to it, it closes. It is also off at idle. Thus you cannot feel the power difference when it is hooked up properly. My suggestion is get it working right to make your life easier next time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: