Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes.
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

I replaced the entire braking system when I rebuilt the buggy, 4 new drums, all new shoes, 22mm master cyl, steel and rubber lines, wheel cyls, all of it and the stopping power just never really impressed me. Since I got it all licensed up I've been driving on the street more and as mentioned, the stopping power just doesn't seem that great. I've adjusted them all up as much as I can, I have a great pedal but it really seems to take some effort and it will not lock up any of the wheels. I decided to go to disc so we'll see if this does the trick.
c54fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

Be sure to read up on "brake bedding" if your wanting the most out of your brakes.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

You should be able to lock up the front wheels with a proper set of drums. I'm not questioning your ability to install and tune a new brake system, but more so that even brand new parts could be DOA and not perform as intended...and more specifically, "new" master cylinders.

Don't be surprised if you get the same results with the new disc brake conversion.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

Weigh all the parts and you will probably find the drum brakes lighter then disks.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

Something to keep in mind, it takes longer to stop with your brakes locked than with proper pedal pressure and your wheels still spinning.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

How tall are your tires? The taller the tires the less stopping power you will have.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

weasel_ugs wrote:
Something to keep in mind, it takes longer to stop with your brakes locked than with proper pedal pressure and your wheels still spinning.

Only on dry flat pavement.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630046
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

On almost anything, if you have the right tyres on.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

Aerindel wrote:
weasel_ugs wrote:

Why does physics only apply on flat pavement?

Answer; It doesn’t.

Static friction is ALWAYS higher than kinetic friction. You can not transfer as much force when your tires are skidding as you can when they are rolling. This goes for both deceleration and acceleration.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

Those of us from the frozen north learn that quickly on snow and ice! Leave the lights with the tires boiling and you will be the last one to the coffee shop every time. Jam the brakes on for a red light and you will still be sliding a block later!

Nothing like winter to teach the principles of friction!
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

I didn't consider tire size, I replaced them with what was on there when I bought the roller. 235/75 15s rear and 225/75 15s front. Heck I even drove it for a year with rear brakes only. Adding the front drums was a noticeable improvement.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Aerindel wrote:
weasel_ugs wrote:

Why does physics only apply on flat pavement?

Answer; It doesn’t.

Static friction is ALWAYS higher than kinetic friction. You can not transfer as much force when your tires are skidding as you can when they are rolling. This goes for both deceleration and acceleration.

Sorry, but this is patently false. Locked brakes are far more effective in any kind of loose or irregular surface. ABS can double stopping distance, and increased fatalities when it became common. This hasn't even be up for debate for a long time, I'm surprised to see this myth resurfacing here.

The why of this is very simple. Traction of a tire is more than just friction, (adhesion) its also deformation. This is why we don't just use solid rubber tires. A tire can get FAR better traction by deforming to the shape of a rough surface than it can by simple friction, off road, or on snow or ice (with studs or chains), deformation is the primary mechanism of traction.

On flat, dry pavement, there is nothing to deform to so you are left with just adhesion. Locked tires will still stop you better, its just that the difference is very small compared to keeping them turning and maintaining a steering ability.

In all other situations, a locked tire will 'plow' into the surface and stop much faster than a tire with ABS or with 'feathered' brakes that don't lock up.

The tests are conclusive, and dramatic. As are the sharp increase in fatalities from cars running off road when ABS brakes where first mandated. ABS may have some advantages, but stopping faster was never one of them.

The only benefit of ABS is that you maintain steering ability (within the limits of traction) at the expense of braking. You can't cheat the laws of physics. You have a traction 'budget' for each tire, that you have to work within no matter what. There is no magic way around that.

liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

Well I got them installed and bled out, I can't believe how much better it stops with so little braking effort by myself, probably a quarter of foot pressure compared to what it took before. I'm very pleased with this upgrade.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

Aerindel wrote:

The tests are conclusive, and dramatic. As are the sharp increase in fatalities from cars running off road when ABS brakes where first mandated. ABS may have some advantages, but stopping faster was never one of them.

The only benefit of ABS is that you maintain steering ability (within the limits of traction) at the expense of braking. You can't cheat the laws of physics. You have a traction 'budget' for each tire, that you have to work within no matter what. There is no magic way around that.

Every single rally and Dakar car disagrees with you.

You *might* stop faster on loose snow and sand, but only if your tyres struggle to clear enough of it to start with.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:
Well I got them installed and bled out, I can't believe how much better it stops with so little braking effort by myself, probably a quarter of foot pressure compared to what it took before. I'm very pleased with this upgrade.

Excellent!

Something I missed here on the first read was the 22mm master cylinder. Why? The larger the master cylinder the more effort it takes to stop. This is a case of bigger is not necessarily better. Combined with the taller tires it makes sense that you were disappointed.
Aerindel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

PhillipM wrote:

Every single rally and Dakar car disagrees with you.

You *might* stop faster on loose snow and sand, but only if your tyres struggle to clear enough of it to start with.

It wouldn't be me they are disagreeing with. Its not like this is just my opinion, its demonstrable science, established physics, I'm just the messenger. Much smarter people than me figure this stuff out.

My opinion however is that they probably would not argue with this at all as I don't think the shortest possible stopping distance matters very much in racing compared to maintaining steering control while braking.

slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
liquidrush wrote:

Excellent!

Something I missed here on the first read was the 22mm master cylinder. Why? The larger the master cylinder the more effort it takes to stop. This is a case of bigger is not necessarily better. Combined with the taller tires it makes sense that you were disappointed.

oprn, you could look at it the other way around also. It would apply LESS braking to the brakes, reducing the chance of an inadvertent brake lock-up on a buggy. I like the idea! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

True but it might also mean you have less of a chance to stop before you hit something... if the reduction in braking power is large enough.

How many of you remember the power brakes on the full-sized cars Ford in the mid to late '60s? Man were those things touchy! First time I drove one I nearly had to jack hammer my teeth out of the dash but you get used to it just like you get used to a touchy gas peddle. Not having enough braking power to stop is not a good feeling. Been there, played that game!

If you feel like you have 2 feet on the brake peddle, bending the steering wheel and the brakes are still not locking up - you have a problem...
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: I ordered up 4 wheels worth of disc brakes. Reply with quote

I recall reading somewhere that Ford actually designed a lot of front end dive into the cars to make it feel like the brakes were more powerful. Selling the sizzle, not the steak....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: