Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV??
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

I bought one of the Napa $99 Awnings. Seems to be of decent quality.

Wondering what the least invasive method of mounting it might be? Is there possibly a way to mount it without drilling holes?. I do have a couple of Thule crossbars however when I’ve run those in the past they are very noisy so I’m thinking I’d prefer to stay away from that.
Brian in Austin

Last edited by bcolins on Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

You don't have many options for installation beyond drilling for rivnuts or attaching it to the roof rack crossbars.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You don't have many options for installation beyond drilling for rivnuts or attaching it to the roof rack crossbars.

I agree. Are you thinking of keeping it on all the time? If so, since the MV doesn't have rain gutters, I guess drilling and mounting brackets is probably the option. I personally would live with a little wind noise and mount it to my crossbars and remove when not being used. I have round Yakima bars and don't have any noise issues, at least not noticeable.
SocalSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

I bought the NAPA awning as well, I was ready to lay down money for one of the expensive ones but most were out of stock and at $99..... I have Yakima cross bars but realized that doesn't work on the Weekender if I want to pop the top. So I ordered the GW brackets and hope to install next weekend. I haven't checked if the bracket is a direct fit to the backing of the awning yet. I borrowed a real rivnet tool from member @Elise111. I'll post progress pics of installation.
Steve
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

Popped it with 25% off AAA DISCOUNT, for the win!
patagrande
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

I have ordred this awning may buy a pair of the less invasive Shady Boy awning mounts.[url] The holes get drilled on the roof but under the pop top:

https://1705.net/shady-boy-awning-installation/

How much does the NAPA awning weigh? Those GW mounts seem like overkill.
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

I have the arb awning. Mounted to my crossbars with go weary brackets. Worked great. Gets the awning higher too. The arb has some decent weight to it. Haven’t seen a Napa one in person yet. Can say I’ve been extremely pleased with the 400$ arb one. Holding up great except for when a freak tornado hit it a month ago when I was at an allentown pinball show tailgating. Snapped a side support rod. New arm was only like 15$ from go westy. So that was nice.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

I recently installed one of the NAPA awnings on my ‘03 EVW. I had planned on a Fiamma awning but couldn’t justify the 10x difference in price so figured I’d at least try the $100 option first.

What I didn’t want to do is install one set of mounts for the NAPA awning and then have to switch to a different set of mounts for the Fiamma (or ARB), if I ended up changing my mind. As a result, I used the gowesty brackets that are compatible with both ARB and Fiamma.

To mount the NAPA awning, I had to modify the brackets a bit by adding another pair of holes to line up with the bolt spacing on the NAPA awning (slightly narrower and larger diameter than the mounting holes already on the bracket designed for the Fiamma/ARB).

To account for the offset in the top flange of the gowesty bracket (designed for the Fiamma), I used a stack of washers as a bushing in the lower mounting hole to line the bottom up with the top flange. I do intend to make/buy a proper bushing.

A couple of added tips:
1) mount the bracket as high as you can. Otherwise, the cover of the awning may interfere with closing the slider.
2) get in the habit of keeping the zippers on the cover all the way forward or aft on the cover. Otherwise, they’ll interfere with the slider (and probably get damaged/do some damage).

No pics at the moment but I can take some if interested.

So far, I’m happy with it for the price. While I haven’t used the Fiamma or ARB, a few minor issues I note with the NAPA are:
- the awning tends to sag a bit which will hold water during rain events. Something to keep an eye on w.r.t. weight and water infiltration.
- a bit of a hassle setting up single handed. I’ve set it up twice now and figured out a better process on the second deployment. I’m hoping by the 3x or 4x, this issue will be resolved by process improvement.
- lightweight construction: I wouldn’t trust this in anything more than a moderate breeze.

Considering those issues, I don’t think the Fiamma or ARB would be 10x or 5x better to justify the 10x or 5x price delta.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

I added some photos to the gallery.

Here they are for your viewing pleasure.
Showing mounting track on awning.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Showing gowesty mounting brackets with added holes.

Showing clearance to sliding door.

Side view of clearance to sliding door with slider open (keep those zippers out of the way!)

Slightly wider view of the slider with door closed.

Wide angle to see overall arrangement on EVW.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

I think Brian has a tintop

I would fashion some faired blocks and epoxy them to the top, I think.

Maybe even just a dovetail strip of UV protected polycarb from which you mount a dovetail wood strip with bolts for the awning

Fair the leading edge to prevent wind noise
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

gesoffen wrote:

Considering those issues, I don’t think the Fiamma or ARB would be 10x or 5x better to justify the 10x or 5x price delta.

Can anybody with an ARB awning comment on whether the velcro straps tear off or the zipper becomes all but useless in a few years of use?

I don't think electrickery works that way
Whridlsoncestood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
gesoffen wrote:

Can anybody with an ARB awning comment on whether the velcro straps tear off or the zipper becomes all but useless in a few years of use?

7-8 months of use and still fine.
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a Napa Awning: how to mount to MV?? Reply with quote

A quick update on the Napa awning:
- It survived 3 deployments (not including initial test deployments) but not its 4th. Fitting broke at the end of the telescoping horizontal poles. There was come collateral damage in the track end of that pole as well as the track itself when the pole collapsed. Weather was a light breeze but the awning was staked down.
- Investigating the fitting, it is a pin set in the pole via some epoxy or similar material. The contact area of the pin/epoxy inside the pole is pretty slim (perhaps 1/4" or so). I didn't investigate the other side to see if this was typical.
- I returned this one to my local NAPA (they honored the 1yr warranty) and have ordered another. There is a bit of a backlog so not expecting the replacement to arrive until early 2022. I'll give this second one a chance at redemption but I don't have high hopes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: