Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vent window pivot stripped.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

erdonline wrote:
When I look in oemepc.com, one of the online parts catalogs, it lists the following for part 15 in the previous posts:

oval hexagon socket head bolt M5X7-E
hex socket oval head collared M5X6MK

Ed

1A (Bearing Angle, pn 251837615) is basically what I need.
I was able to source one locally, today, and have the proper rivets on the way!

**sratch that, $19 shipping on a $4 part, guess I'll keep looking
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

I would just buy a whole used window assembly and take the parts you need.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

LBC28730 wrote:
erdonline wrote:
When I look in oemepc.com, one of the online parts catalogs, it lists the following for part 15 in the previous posts:

Ed

**scratch that, $19 shipping on a $4 part, guess I'll keep looking

Sometimes you just need to amble up to the bar and ante up to get what you need.
Especially on NLA parts that are hard to find and once gone, are gone for good.

The pain will subside once you take a few sips of a working vent window.
Soon, you'll be happy you made that choice.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I would just buy a whole used window assembly and take the parts you need.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

That's actually what I did. Overall the frame was crusty but I was able to remove the rivit (which is actually 2 piece and I can reuse)

Be back up and running here shortly without having to remove my good frame!
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
LBC28730 wrote:
erdonline wrote:

Ed

**scratch that, $19 shipping on a $4 part, guess I'll keep looking

Sometimes you just need to amble up to the bar and ante up to get what you need.
Especially on NLA parts that are hard to find and once gone, are gone for good.

The pain will subside once you take a few sips of a working vent window.
Soon, you'll be happy you made that choice.

Dave

Fortunately I was able to get a crusty frame with a good 1A bearing from a friend and discovered the rivet is actually 2 piece so I will be up and good again here shortly!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

I went out and looked at this part...
Baring available good used part I would carve it from a piece of stainless.steel angle..
It's radiused on the inside corner like angle steel.
Take it out, measure it or trace it whittle it out of a section of 3/16" wall angle. You can carve the radius edges with a file and small grinder. Drill and tap as needed.

I use a Milwaukee porta band with a small table screwed to it in place if the 'foot' your material usually rides on. Handel clamped in a vice and a cut down door shim to jam the trigger on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
I went out and looked at this part...
Baring available good used part I would carve it from a piece of stainless.steel angle..
It's radiused on the inside corner like angle steel.
Take it out, measure it or trace it whittle it out of a section of 3/16" wall angle. You can carve the radius edges with a file and small grinder. Drill and tap as needed.

I use a Milwaukee porta band with a small table screwed to it in place if the 'foot' your material usually rides on. Handel clamped in a vice and a cut down door shim to jam the trigger on.

Got a good clean 1A, I can actually 3d print the part that goes inside.

Now it's just a matter of the rivet.
I was thinking it was 2 piece but, they just all break off the same way, haha.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

The riveting is the scarry part. I mean it's riveting with a piece of glass in the mix there. Two rivets actually there's the pivot rivet on the outside and the rivet for the glass....
I don't know if I could do those successfully. I think I'd still be looking at making the part with stainless steel and using button head allen screws. Maybe weld the pivot screw for security sake.
Seems a little weird VW made these parts so difficult to replace. Never really looked into how it all goes together. Maybe this is why people started making kits to eliminate the wing window on air cooled bugs ?

Good luck ! I'd like to see how you end up squeezing the rivets.
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
The riveting is the scarry part. I mean it's riveting with a piece of glass in the mix there. Two rivets actually there's the pivot rivet on the outside and the rivet for the glass....
I don't know if I could do those successfully. I think I'd still be looking at making the part with stainless steel and using button head allen screws. Maybe weld the pivot screw for security sake.
Seems a little weird VW made these parts so difficult to replace. Never really looked into how it all goes together. Maybe this is why people started making kits to eliminate the wing window on air cooled bugs ?

I think I have it pretty much sorted out.
The original style rivets are ridiculously expensive to get shipped so I am considering other options.

I think that it may be necessary to remove my window frame to get the right angle on the rivet but I think I can use something other than the OG version.

I'll update when I figure it out!
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

Oh wow, here is the solution!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481959
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

Finding that old Beetle Post was excellent!

It seems someone has always seemed to have found a solution to a given task way before you ever gave it the smallest thought!

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

LBC28730 wrote:
Crankey wrote:

The original style rivets are ridiculously expensive to get shipped so I am considering other options.

I think that it may be necessary to remove my window frame to get the right angle on the rivet but I think I can use something other than the OG version.

Have you checked McMaster Carr for rivets and security screws ?
Rivet nuts and Allen nuts ?
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/251837405a-left-opening-quarter-light-frame-aluminum.html

Exists if that helps.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
LBC28730 wrote:
Crankey wrote:

I just checked and my wing window has button flange head torx drive screws, not rivets top and bottom.
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
Crankey wrote:
LBC28730 wrote:
Crankey wrote:

I just checked and my wing window has button flange head torx drive screws, not rivets top and bottom.

Interesting .
I would think that they have been replaced, then?
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/251837405a-left-opening-quarter-light-frame-aluminum.html

Exists if that helps.

Yeah I did consider replacing the whole thing, worst case scenario.

I think I am on to a solution.
My hollow rivets come today so, we'll see!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't know but it sure looks original to me. Both sides identical.
Sure would make a lot more sence to screw the glass in place concidering glass breaks and it's a huge pain in the ass your going through.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

Added this thread to the Vanagon Essentials - The FAQ Guide stickies ....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236057#6236057

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
LBC28730
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Vent window pivot stripped. Reply with quote

Crankey wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't know but it sure looks original to me. Both sides identical.
Sure would make a lot more sence to screw the glass in place concidering glass breaks and it's a huge pain in the ass your going through.

Yeah it's actually the rivit in that first photo, vertical.

I did find the type/name of the rivit and got a box of them from Amazon for like $5.

I'll post results and more specific details, should I succeed!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: