Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

I've been looking for a late 6v flywheel with no luck, but have been offer'd a 200mm 6v flywheel from a 1966 bus. Any issue(s) using my 180mm clutch with it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

You will need to use the crankshaft end seal that matches the flywheel. As long as you have both the flywheel and the pressure plate (I doubt the 180 mm pressure plate will bolt up) you can use the smaller clutch disc. It will not be ideal as you can't take advantage of the full area of the larger flywheel. Clutch discs are not that expensive...
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

I don't really understand the question as far as what combination of things you are mating together......but

I would expect DPR or mofoco could be able to obtain or create whatever flywheel you need.

There may be other ways to do it, but making the flywheel correct for the vehicle might be a fine choice, tho it having the wrong engine should be a clue???? Or does it just have the wrong crankshaft? or you lost the flywheel, or what? I don't know.
Early flywheel will go on a late crank, just slight loss of strength due to the spigot being a loose fit.
Small disk will go under a big pressure plate. But the 180 pressure plate will not go on a 200mm flywheel.

Odd combinations and custom parts can be mildly confusing for you, much less any future owner of the vehicle. Shocked

IMO you could also just consider 6volt related parts obsolete. Probably half the early vw's were converted to 12v back in the 80's and 90's anyways.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

A 180mm pressure plate will not bolt to a 200mm flywheel and I'd definitely not recommend using a 180mm disc with a 200mm pressure plate. You'll need a complete new clutch set of the correct style to match your throwout bearing.

A stepped-style flywheel can be used on an o-ring style crankshaft, just make sure you use a metal gasket between the crank and flywheel. You absolutely must recheck your crank endplay and reshim as needed.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

No way to use a 180mm disc/pressure plate on a 200mm flywheel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

Nothing is impossible
some welding required.
But it has no point.

the only thing good about a 180mm clutch IMo is that it can be lighter, but to go for minimum weight I would not be using any jankey adapters or welding.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

modok wrote:
... 180 pressure plate will not go on a 200mm flywheel ...

Thank you sir, precisely what I needed to know. Tho NOT what I was hoping for!

Edit - Thanks @mukluk & @txoval also (you too Opee).

In case it matters, this is for my buggy's spare engine. 1600dp currently in use is running well and has a fine late 6v flywheel. So it's not imparative for the spare to also have one, just desireable. I wish to stick with 180mm pressure plate 'cuz I'm not getting any stronger, sort of withering away in my old age.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

I think you have that rather backwards.
The larger dia. clutch plate is... the less clamping force is needed.

I have a very weak 200mm 900lb pressure plate that is NOS near new condition, zero use for it. if anybody wants it lemme know I'll sell cheap.
I threatened for years to make a flywheel puller out of it but, actually it wasn't strong enough Laughing i used 3/8 plate instead. so now I don't even have an excuse.

A "new" pressure plates are all 1200lb and rather stiff, but an ACTUAL OE 200mm pressure plate from the late 60's should actually be lower pedal pressure than what you have now.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

I don't understand the problem if you have a 200mm clutch flywheel why not run a 200mm clutch? It's a better clutch. You will need to get the correct 200mm clutch pressure plate and throw out for it though. Transaxles in the 70 and earlier cars used the early style 200mm pressure plate and early throw out. In 71 VW went to the late style. Personally I would get a Kennedy Stage 1 for a early bus and a good solid racing disk.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

Have you got a long arm on the gearbox? Makes a big difference in pedal pressure.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
... if you have a 200mm clutch flywheel ...
I don't. As stated in opening post, I've been offer'd a 200mm 6v flywheel. (Not going that route.)

baz76 wrote:
... long arm on the gearbox? Makes a big difference in pedal pressure.
Thanks, good idea IF you have room for the required longer stroke at pedal. But my buggy has a super short 70" wheelbase.

So for comfort, I moved the pedal cluster forward farther than I could move the firewall forward, leaving just enough pedal space for a well adjusted clutch to function with early arm.

modok wrote:
... The larger dia. clutch plate is... the less clamping force is needed.

I have a very weak 200mm 900lb pressure plate ... I'll sell cheap ... an ACTUAL OE 200mm pressure plate from the late 60's should actually be lower pedal pressure than what you have now.

Very interesting. But hard to believe. Isn't that why they went to the longer arm?

I mean really, can the larger 9-spring pressure plate truely take less force than the smaller 6-spring?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

Diaphragm pressure plates have more pedal pressure
and thus need "longer arm" lever on the trans.

A six spring pressure plate has VERY low pedal pressure no matter what size diameter the clutch plate.
As VW built them an old lady could drive it, they were not designed for only people with strong legs.
stealth67vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a 180mm clutch be used with a 200mm flywheel? Reply with quote

I run a Ron Lummus Super 7 180mm Black Magic disc with a 200mm flywheel and Kennedy 200mm stage 1 pressure plate.

7.76 @ 89.55mph 1/8 mile
12.34 and 108.10 mph 1/4 mile
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: