Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mildly curious coolant leak at fan switch in rad
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:34 pm    Post subject: mildly curious coolant leak at fan switch in rad Reply with quote

in 2019 with entire rehab of the cooling system i replaced the rad with a new Behr and new rad fan switch. this past month noticed a leak at the rad switch, was able to tighten it probably 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn without stress. continued to leak.

yesterday i pulled the fan switch to see if the rad was cracked or what. the rad has a nice brass insert molded into the plastic side tank for the fan switch threads, no crack. but the supplied gasket around the fan switch was split and mushy, like you'd expect from paper soaked in water. came with the switch but it was red on both sides with gray in the middle. i had put a thin coat of RTV sealant on it when installed. it seemed like good quality at the time.

my fiber gasket parts drawer yielded an appropriate sized dark gray fiber gasket but again composed of 3 layers. this time i coated it with GasGaCinch, let it dry, and installed. no leak of course. i think GasGaCinch is the better choice over RTV as i wanted to seal the fiber material from the coolant.

i don't really want to put a copper or aluminum gasket in there as i want the sensor torque to be low against the rad threads and the rad to sensor sealing surface is plastic. fiber or probably nylon would be best, something with low durometer but coolant impervious.

anyway. something to keep an eye on with new rad fan switches.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: mildly curious coolant leak at fan switch in rad Reply with quote

Dan, possibly an o-ring would do it?
I'd try to find one that had to stretch over the threads a bit and apply some lube to both faces so it doesn't grab - just squishes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: mildly curious coolant leak at fan switch in rad Reply with quote

o-rings need to be captive in a groove/recess in order to not squish out!

the treated washer will work for a few more years if not longer as it is a different composition. i'll keep my eyes open for a nylon one of the right diameter or just more hard fiber ones.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: mildly curious coolant leak at fan switch in rad Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
o-rings need to be captive in a groove/recess in order to not squish out!

the treated washer will work for a few more years if not longer as it is a different composition. i'll keep my eyes open for a nylon one of the right diameter or just more hard fiber ones.

True.
McMaster Carr may have nylon washers and ship very quickly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: