Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'71 turns over, but DOES NOT START
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IGuessImaBusGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

I have lurked on this forum for hours upon hours trying to find a similar problem/solution. My apologies if this has been asked/answered and I could not find it. Here's my issue. '71 (built 02/71). I had it running 4th of July. Now... nothing. When it ran my config was a NEW 34 pict 3 installed February with a new 009 installed last year.

Broke down on the 110 freeway. Has not started since. It got towed home and that's when my ignorance compounded my problems. I began to let my mind wander. I read many posts trying to diagnose the issue. I started tweaking settings thinking loose ground, disconnected wire, timing issue etc.

However, I believe the break down was a result of running out of gas. Brick wall. So I added some. I have returned to the configuration when it was last running. I get the engine to turn. But there is no action beyond the engine turning from the starter motor.

The problem that I can tell, is that there is power going to the ignition coil. But it does not exit the coil. I tested the coil(s) with an ohmmeter and everything looks good. But when I tested this by placing a timing gun with tach on the plug wires AND the lead coming from the ignition coil to the dizzy. I do not get any reading.

I have checked and rechecked TDC and I THINK it's correct. Battery is fully charged. Grounds have been checked, cleaned and rechecked.

I have tried to get it to start with both a Bosch and Pertronix igniation coil and an off the shelf 009 as well as one with a pertronix 1847A. Every combination yeilds no difference.

I have rebuilt the carburetor and I'm pretty sure it's dialed in correctly. All adjustments are for the default (2.5 - 3 turns on the idle speed adjusting screw and idle mixture screw.) Choke open slightly at rest and cold.

It hit me today that I must literally look insane to my neighbors. Going over ever inch of this bus trying to find the solution for weeks and never fixing the damn thing. So before I'm visited by the shrink my neighborhood has hired on my behalf I thought I would reach out for help. If I could just get it to idle I'd by elated because that'll show my nosy ass neighbors who is and who isn't crazy.

Thank you for your help here, and the countless other times I have visited this forum.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

Spark-fuel-air.
OK, I know you think it is spark (and it might be), but..just in case..have you tried starter fluid or a small cupful of gas down the carb? Have you pulled a plug and checked to see if it is wet with fuel?
You sound like you really want this bus to run well. I understand that you put in a "new" 34pict. You might contact Volkzbitz about a German rebuilt carb. Also Warbird Bill for a rebuilt German Vac advance distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

Points or electronic ignition? You indicated you went back and forth, the clocking is different between types of ignition so pick one and let's trouble shoot that one. If you had an electronic ignition, and go to a points based ignition, be sure that the rotor is pointing to the #1 wire when the engine is at or near TDC on the firing stroke.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

With the distributor cap removed can you turn the rotor by hand more than a few degrees? The rotor should turn when the engine is being cranked.

With the inlet hose removed for the top of the carburetor, using a flashlight can you see fuel being sprayed into the barrel as you operate the throttle lever?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

CA. That’s a big place. Care to share where you live?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IGuessImaBusGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

Thank you all for your quick replies!!!

I am in south LA county. South Bay/San Pedro/Rancho Palos Verdes.

I will go with the suggestion of focusing on one configuration and working from there. I will focus on the Pertronix coil with the Pertronix 1847A electronic ignition installed in the dizzy.

I cannot turn the rotor on the dizzy when installed. The rotor turns when engine is being cranked. BUT I FORGOT TO ADD THAT I CANNOT TURN THE ENGINE BY HAND. I could in the past, but now I need to have a wrench on the generator AND on the crankshaft pulley to manually find TDC.

Yes, fuel is being sprayed by the carb. That looks good.

I have tried starter fuel. It really seems there is no combustion.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

pull all 4 plugs and see how easy the engine spins. Check the oil to be sure you have some and that it is not filled with gasoline.
IGuessImaBusGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
pull all 4 plugs and see how easy the engine spins. Check the oil to be sure you have some and that it is not filled with gasoline.

Actually, I did this last weekend. There was a lot of gasoline in the oil. I drained, flushed with oil and then refilled. I also oiled the valve springs. I could not turn it by any method prior to doing this. Afterwards I was able to rotate the engine using a wrench on both the crankshaft and generator pulleys.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

IGuessImaBusGuy wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Actually, I did this last weekend. There was a lot of gasoline in the oil. I drained, flushed with oil and then refilled. I also oiled the valve springs. I could not turn it by any method prior to doing this. Afterwards I was able to rotate the engine using a wrench on both the crankshaft and generator pulleys.
doesn't sound right. I'd be deeply concerned something is goofy. Fog the cylinders with some oil and see if that lowers the friction.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

How loose is your belt?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

If it were my van/bus, I'd find out when Aeromech has a couple days free and take it to him.
He saved my butt a couple summers ago. He does good work.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

If the engine isn't cranking easily you may not have sufficient voltage at the coil for it to create a spark. As suggested you need to get some oil into the cylinders to help them out a bit.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
If it were my van/bus, I'd find out when Aeromech has a couple days free and take it to him.
He saved my butt a couple summers ago. He does good work.

To the OP, do you have AAA premium? A 100 mile tow might get you from South Bay LA to Bay Park San Diego where Gary/Aeromech lives.
IGuessImaBusGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

@sgkent and @wildthings; 2 weeks ago the "not quite right" alarm started going off in my head. I did oil the valves. Do you want me to remove the valves and oil the pistons? Could this possibly be a broken piston/arm? I have assumed "No" because I can still crank the engine by hand and if it were the above mentioned problems it would not crank at all.
I believe it is on the #4 plug where the resistance is worst. Does that make any difference?

@Aeromech: The belt is snug but there is a bit of play when pushing with my finger on the side. Before pulling the engine I fiddled with the generator shims. I noted which and how many shims were used in the original config and have returned to that setup. (FYI there were/are 2 shims between the generator pulley plates.)

@wildthings: my original assumption (once I got my head screwed on straight) was combustion not being strong enough to start the engine. However, I am detecting no power from the coil or dizzy. 2 weeks ago I did register RPMs on plug wire #2. Since reinstalling the engine I register power going to the coil. but nothing coming out. I have replaced the coil with no differences.

@OB_Bus. I do have the premium AAA with the 100 mile tow. (best money I've ever spent). But I'm a 45 year old single dad to 2 kids, working 2 jobs, living with my parents and declaring bankruptcy. (Divorce F-ing SUCKS). Ironically, I've been a licensed CA attorney for 15 years. But I'm too honest to be a wealthy one (especially after the ex was done cleaning my bones). haha

If anyone wants pictures, a short video of the bus turning over, whatever I'm sure I have already taken them and they're ready to post.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

I’d love to see videos or pics of your engine

[email protected]
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

"oil the valves?" what exactly is that?
IGuessImaBusGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Sorry, forgot to add the word "springs" I oiled the valve springs and rocker arms.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

IGuessImaBusGuy wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Sorry, forgot to add the word "springs" I oiled the valve springs and rocker arms.

Pull the spark plugs and use an oil gun to squirt a half teaspoon of motor oil into each cylinder.
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

that happened to me, and it was the pertronix coil that failed. It was open.

measure across the 2 posts of the coil (low voltage) and see if it measures about 3 ohms...
IGuessImaBusGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: '71 turns over, but DOES NOT START Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
IGuessImaBusGuy wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Pull the spark plugs and use an oil gun to squirt a half teaspoon of motor oil into each cylinder.

The oil made a HUGE difference. Aeromech also suggested that I pull the rocker arms and push rods. There is still a lot of resistance in #4 after adding the oil. I'm hoping to get to the bottom of that during this next step.

HOWEVER, a redhead has summoned me to Miami for the weekend. When a redhead calls, I'm compelled to answer (especially this one). I will give an update next week.

Again, thanks to all of you for your time and your assistance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: