Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro: Cut protection bar access for gearbox oil drain plug
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:21 am    Post subject: Syncro: Cut protection bar access for gearbox oil drain plug Reply with quote

This thread is kinda "late" in the Syncro life cycle.
.....towards 30 years and a few rebuilds too late.
Lack of gearboxes will soon doom lots of nicely built-out vans to sit behind the barn.
That day is coming and it's not a happy day.

2WD vans have Subaru gearbox options (time will tell if they can push the brick....).
But there's no hope for a Syncro gearbox replacement with a compound low gear and a differential locker.

=========

If you have a Syncro, it's wise to cut around the gearbox oil drain plug to reduce this 'barrier to proper maintenance'.

I suspect a lot of Syncro owners, knowing they have a "special antique" would have harumphed the (VW self-serving) manual stating that the gear oil 'does not need to be checked or changed';
only to slide under the van, noting the difficulty, decided it would be a big hassle to change the gear oil.
Perhaps to do it 'later'.
And then 'later' became after it started to 'make noise'.
Which is far, far too late.
The trans is worn out. And sadly, due to 'non-maintenance'.
Probably NOT intentional non-maintenence, but cultural non-maintenance.
Nobody else was maintaining their Vanagon transaxles.
I suspect many attentive vehicle maintainers fell into this trap.

It's ironic how the "protection bars" have actually DOOMED Syncro transaxles by creating a significant impediment to maintenance, moreso than 2WD.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the best pic I can come up with.
If any Syncro owners would crawl under the van and take a pic of what
the 'gearbox drain area' will see from under the van,
I'm sure that other Syncro owners would appreciate it.

30 years may be late in the game, but better late than never!!👍🏽👍🏽

==================

IMHO, a Syncro in the 1st 100k miles the oil should have been changed the first 500 / 1000 miles to flush out the break-in trash, then thereafter every 30k miles.

An "old trans" that's still quiet should be maintained every 15,000 miles.
A rebuilt trans (which has new bearings and old gears) should be changed every 15,000 miles.
Any trans with a big engine hanging on it should be changed every 10,000 or every other engine oil change. If your drainplug magnet is coming out clean at 10,000, you can reasonably extend your interval.
But ya gotta LOOK at the magnet to know this.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Cut protection bar access for gearbox oil drain plug Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Lack of gearboxes will soon doom lots of nicely built-out vans to sit behind the barn.
That day is coming and it's not a happy day.
2WD vans have Subaru gearbox options (time will tell if they can push the brick....).
But there's no hope for a Syncro gearbox replacement with a compound low gear and a differential locker.

I don't completely agree with this, although I do agree that the need for a new replacement gearbox is critical.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665489&highlight=

There are quite a few Syncros out there that have had significant money spent on them, and there are people already working to keep them rolling like Gears and Weddle Industries.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Cut protection bar access for gearbox oil drain plug Reply with quote

I definitely used a hole saw to radius an access hole to the drain plug then cut through with a sawzall. Oddly enough the only Syncrodemayo I attended resulted in that cross member getting smashed up against the diff cover creating a weird rattle. I cut it off when I got home and it's lived in the same spot between my garage doors since. C'est la vie

J
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Cut protection bar access for gearbox oil drain plug Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
there are people already working to keep them rolling like Gears and Weddle Industries.

Yes we are blessed by this, currently.
Weddle does it mostly because their racing gearboxes are VW design based and use some VW parts. But some are made for racing toughness, and expected to be changed (like at 50k miles) rather than the 100-150k that we like to expect from VW gears. Better than nothing…..

This luck can’t last forever.

When the number of Syncros drops to below the sustainable numbers there will be no more parts. Or a long stretch of NLA until the number of preorders reaches a threshold to order a batch. That causes a dry spell in between where all the rebuilds have to be assembled with “the best used parts findable”.

There’s currently a Syncro needle bearing that’s gone NLA. So keep your oil clean in case you have to re-use your old bearing. And certainly don’t drive it if the trans is making noise.
If it’s noisy you KNOW the oil is fulla metal, destroying other parts.
Such as that NLA bearing at the nose of the mainshaft - you may have to re-use it.

Samba member “gears” (GT Gears) does it because he’s a Syncro fanatic, we all gotta be thankful for that. But again, how long can Porsche quality gears at VW prices possibly last? It makes some sense to buy your GT spares now, in case your increased maintenance extends your trans life to the days when more critical parts (or skilled rebuilders) have gone NLA.

And at some level it makes sense to rebuild now, even if it’s quiet, but the skill and knowledge of the builder is paramount. Otherwise (if its quiet) it could be best to leave well enough alone rather than risk a crap build, and just use attentive maintenance a light foot and no lugging.

Anyway it makes sense to maintain your Syncro gearboxes!
Cut that protection bar so its “easy” to change your gearbox oil - thats the cheapest insurance there is. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

Let’s see a pic of the “OEM covered” drain plug, and some pics of access cuts.
And how you cut it.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Cut protection bar access for gearbox oil drain plug Reply with quote

Sodo,
I hear you and I get what you're saying but I'm picking up another message in this PSA...I don't like it!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro: Cut protection bar access for gearbox oil drain plug Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
I definitely used a hole saw to radius an access hole to the drain plug then cut through with a sawzall. Oddly enough the only Syncrodemayo I attended resulted in that cross member getting smashed up against the diff cover creating a weird rattle. I cut it off when I got home and it's lived in the same spot between my garage doors since. C'est la vie

J

Its pretty easy to straighten it.
A least you can maintain your trans (and keep an eye out to avoid rocks).👍🏽
RMW Syncro conversions have no skid bars at all, which could work out better for the trans (but adds risk for the engine).

dkoesyncro wrote:
Sodo,
I hear you and I get what you're saying but I'm picking up another message in this PSA...I don't like it!

I hear ya. Time marches on.
I'm going under the van today, in the gravel. I've been thinking a lot about a vehicle lifts as of late.
I can still go under the van like a monkey, but incrementally, will be somewhat older when I come out.
Wish me luck.

In 10 years the landscape will have changed.
How much longer can one Samba feller maintain a campaign to thwart the non-maintenance culture that VW started?

Maintenance now is better late than never, especially for such a special antique as a Syncro.

Syncro protection bars doomed the transaxles instead of preserving them.
Don't think twice about cutting a little drainplug access.
Drainplug access at least implies that "transaxle maintenance is important to this owner'.
I cringe when I see one without drainplug access.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: