Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1979 Bay - New Member Intro
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
tburton100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just a quick intro as I'm new to the forum. I was lucky enough to recently get myself a 1979 registered Bay, a long term dream for my wife and I which we plan to tour the UK in initially once it's ready. We are based in Kent, in the South East UK.

I believe it was once a Kombi then converted by Devon Conversions into a Camper. I can't be certain as there is very little history with it other than the last 3 years. Miles say 58k, could well be 158k I suspect or more.

It's not in bad condition, some obvious patches of filler to deal with and idles poorly and does not stop too well, but got me home ok on a warm day. The camping setup is only half there, so looking forward to sorting that out. I added the canopy for it's maiden outing as it was due to be damp.

There is no m-plate that I can find but the paint sticker is there which matches it's current paint colours and VIN. I'd love to find out more history.

I'm sure I'll be looking for information in the forums frequently, already it's been a great help and given me many great pointers.

Great to be part of the community.

Tony.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

welcome. M-plate will be on the top of the left side air vent tube I think.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

Welcome!

What engine / gearbox combination do you have? Pics of the engine pls.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

Welcome from Notts!

Good looking bus, hope you have some great adventures Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

Very nice looking camper. I’d be curious what it’s worth in the UK because I believe they are very rare in unrusted condition over there
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tburton100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome.

To answer the questions, it's 1600, 4 speed manual. Engine pics below:

I've been all over the cabin air tubes, front and back looking for the m-plate, no sign of it yet. Ordered a certificate from VW in the end.

I paid £10k for it, which is quite a good price in the UK for this condition. No doubt there is rust with filler over it, but will sort that out in time.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

Welcome, nice bus. It's awesome that in the UK you can have a 79 with an upright type engine. I have a 76 over here in the USA and we only have the fuel injected choice (type 4) for an engine - fewer parts available. IMHO, you have the best of both worlds.
Congrats.
tburton100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

Happy Friday!

Turns out the bus was built on 27th June 1978, so must have been sold and registered a few months later in the 1979 year.

The engine is being replaced with a refurb 1641 as I believe that old one might a 1300 with 1600 carb on it, it's certainly got no power and compression was very poor, described as knackered by the garage..

We are loving it so far. Pic below.

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

Nice bus .

If you want to go on a voyage of discovery : A campout with people working on their buses in Leicestershire UK. ..

https://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/techenders-2022.93941/

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

mikedjames wrote:
Nice bus .

If you want to go on a voyage of discovery : A campout with people working on their buses in Leicestershire UK. ..

https://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/techenders-2022.93941/

Good shout Mike!

I'll second what Mike posted, its a great weekend spent with a great, friendly bunch in a lovely location too. We always enjoy the weekend Smile
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
tburton100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1979 Bay - New Member Intro Reply with quote

Thanks for the great tip. I certain need to learn more about the mechanical side of it so that could be very useful.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: