Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

problems installing push button start
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikeincarp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Hi,
I apologize for the lengthy post, but please bear with me as you read it. Looking for some info/help on installing a momentary switch push button start for my 78 bus. I believe the ignition switch is toast, and have read a lot of criticism about the after market chinese switches. Also I would really like to avoid messing with the steering column the rats nest of wires and the other switches for fear of messing something up.

I know if you cross the solenoid post with the positive battery stud with the key on,(in neutral, parking bracke on) you can jump start it. A slightly better workaround which I use now and doesn’t require getting under the car is to run a wire from the solenoid post into the engine compartment and with the key turned on, touch the bare wire to the positive post on the battery which will start the car. I twist a wire nut onto the bare part of the wire after it starts.

I have read a little about push button switches, and it seems that if you put a momentary switch between the battery positive connection and the solenoid post, it accomplishes the same thing - once you have the key on and push the button.

Before running any long wires up to the dash, I tested this out with a short wire setup (10 or 12AWG) and the button hanging free out the back of the engine compartment.. I put an in line fuse between the wire from the positive battery post to the push button switch and from the other terminal of the switch a wire to to a piggyback male spade on the the ignition trigger wire post on the solenoid,

I turned on the key (in neutral, parking brake set) and walked to the back of the bus and pushed the button. Voila! Started right up. BUT when I went up front and turned the key off, I got this run on effect until I removed the key and disconnected the wire from the battery.

What am I doing wrong? Should I have pressed the push button again before turning off the key? I just went out to the garage again, disconnected the test setup and left the wire from the test solenoid post to the engine compartment. When I touched it to the positive battery post, it turned over more sluggishly and did not start. When I started all this I had 12.6 V at the battery and checking it again, had 12.2V.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

I'll bet the switch you are using isn't a momentary switch, sounds like it stays connected until the next push and the starter stayed running the whole time.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Just install an original switch. Even if you have to change it again next year it will be a whole lot better than drilling holes in your dash and running wires.

I was looking through my parts today and found two still in the plastic. The price on them was less than $10. Swapping in a switch is easy once you’ve done it the first time. Cheap too
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Bus Depot claims the aftermarket switch they sell is superior to most others.

When OEM switches become available again buy several, especially if the price is still in the $9-10 range. Hard to justify buying an aftermarket POS for $40 when you can get the real McCoy for $9-10.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

I can't tell you how it was done, but my VW mechanic did it with wires under the dash in about 45 seconds. I use a momentary metal push button on the dash. It works great. I'm sure someone can chime in about which wires to intercept.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
I can't tell you how it was done, but my VW mechanic did it with wires under the dash in about 45 seconds. I use a momentary metal push button on the dash. It works great. I'm sure someone can chime in about which wires to intercept.

Sorry, but if your mechanic was good he’d have fixed it without the hack
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Globespotter wrote:

Sorry, but if your mechanic was good he’d have fixed it without the hack

I asked him to install the hack. I was driving home from NY state and the ignition switch pooched out. It was driving rain and his place was on the way home. I had been bump starting it for days. I already had the push button on the dash for windshield washer. I asked him to wire it as a push button start, which he did outside in the rain very quickly. Context is everything and hacks are not always bad, unless you need your bus to be 100% stock.

I actually like the push button, and never swapped out the switch.

Hmm. My 2020 Honda has a push button start....
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Ah, that’s an emergency situation and you do what you need to do.

I’ve driven VW buses for 30 plus years and never installed a push button hack. My 2015 CR-V has the push auto start like your 2020. Totally different technology. Not even close to comparing to your bus.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

there are two common reasons the ignition switches go bad

(1) the starter solenoid is sticky and it pulls too much electricity which causes the switch to melt

(2) too many switched accessories have been added which pull too much electricity.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Bus Depot claims the aftermarket switch they sell is superior to most others.

I can attest to that.
I replaced mine with a BD switch, and it's been working fine for over two years.

Although I confess to buying two switches at the same time, in case the Bus Depot claim was bogus. Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

When OEM switches become available again buy several, especially if the price is still in the $9-10 range. Hard to justify buying an aftermarket POS for $40 when you can get the real McCoy for $9-10.

The inexpensive OEM switches I am familiar with are black on the bottom and have the VW logo machined away on the mould. The grind mark can can be seen in one of the photos in the link below. This switch was once readily available from all the large wholesale suppliers, but unfortunately hasn't been available for several years. They show up sometimes - if you see a new one on here or somewhere it's a good one to buy.

https://germansupply.com/ignition-starter-switch-bus-75-79-beetle-75-79-vanagon-80-92.html

There is a genuine switch available but it's a lot more than $10. The work to re/re this part is significant so the part cost will be worth it for some people. Part number is 111 905 865L.
mikeincarp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Thank you all for the helpful input

Aero mech,
I read Ratwells procedure for replacing the ignition switch, and this is one of the parts that freaks me out:

"Now the tricky part. There is an access hole in the lower part of the cover. In this picture, I've already removed the cover for clarity and to show the hole:

(pic here)"

"Inside this hole is a factory tamper-proof bolt that clamps the switch housing to the column tube. Since it does not have a head to get a socket on, you have to drill into it with a ¼ inch bit about ¼ inch deep. You can then hammer a screwdriver into it and turn to remove."

He then suggest replacing with an allen head cap screw
Is this fairly easy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

mikeincarp wrote:
Thank you all for the helpful input

Aero mech,
I read Ratwells procedure for replacing the ignition switch, and this is one of the parts that freaks me out:

"Now the tricky part. There is an access hole in the lower part of the cover. In this picture, I've already removed the cover for clarity and to show the hole:

(pic here)"

"Inside this hole is a factory tamper-proof bolt that clamps the switch housing to the column tube. Since it does not have a head to get a socket on, you have to drill into it with a ¼ inch bit about ¼ inch deep. You can then hammer a screwdriver into it and turn to remove."

He then suggest replacing with an allen head cap screw
Is this fairly easy

picture missing and what year ignition switch? Put your year bus in your sig line to help others assist you.
Oil Phil-M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

One safety feature your ignition switch has that a momentum switch doesn't is that once you attempt to start the engine you have to reset the ignition to the off position killing the engine before you get to try it again. No grinding a starter into an already running engine. At least that's how it works in my '72.

That said I have thought about putting a momentum switch in the engine bay. When I've been been back there trouble shooting or adjusting things I often jump the non-stock Ford relay that is mounted on the gas tank access panel with a piece of wire and with the coil hot wired to the battery. Saves going back and forward in/out of the cab and especially useful when your bus can't hold an idle without constant manipulation of the throttle until carbs and/or timing gets dialed in. Just have to be extra sure you're not in gear!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Oil Phil-M wrote:
One safety feature your ignition switch has that a momentum switch doesn't is that once you attempt to start the engine you have to reset the ignition to the off position killing the engine before you get to try it again. No grinding a starter into an already running engine. At least that's how it works in my '72.

That said I have thought about putting a momentum switch in the engine bay. When I've been been back there trouble shooting or adjusting things I often jump the non-stock Ford relay that is mounted on the gas tank access panel with a piece of wire and with the coil hot wired to the battery. Saves going back and forward in/out of the cab and especially useful when your bus can't hold an idle without constant manipulation of the throttle until carbs and/or timing gets dialed in. Just have to be extra sure you're not in gear!
lots of different brands of these.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikeincarp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Got it sorted. Thanks everybody
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
there are two common reasons the ignition switches go bad

(1) the starter solenoid is sticky and it pulls too much electricity which causes the switch to melt

(2) too many switched accessories have been added which pull too much electricity.

The power and ignition wires also get melted and damaged over the years from the above mentioned reasons and shorts from age, wiring hacks, etc. I currently have a push bottom start. I have had a new ignition switch in my parts bin for years, but will be installing it soon now that I have replaced the wiring and starter.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

The power and ignition wires also get melted and damaged over the years from the above mentioned reasons and shorts from age, wiring hacks, etc. I currently have a push bottom start. I have had a new ignition switch in my parts bin for years, but will be installing it soon now that I have replaced the wiring and starter.

A neighbor came over and started talking to me once while I was installing the distributor on my '74 and I missed seeing that the #15 ignition wire had gotten under the clamp. When I turned the key both the ignition switch and the harness were damaged before I realized what was wrong. Since I was due to leave on a cross country trip in a few hours I ran a new wire to the back and installed a toggle switch for the ignition and a good old fashion push button switch for the starter. I checked at the first VW specialty shop I came to for a replacement switch and it would have taken them a week to get one and it would have cost me about $300, as the switch for that vintage Transporter was not being reproduced at that time. Ended up keeping with the push button-toggle combo for the rest of the time I drove that vehicle, probably another50-60K miles until it was parked because I had acquired my '77 which had a better body.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

One time my coil came loose and rotated, shorting the ignition wire. That damaged the then-working original switch. (Thankfully, no other major damage noted.)

I went through several crappy aftermarket switches and finally installed the BD switch. That has worked great to start the bus since, though I had to "preload" the spring portion that works the door-open buzzer function (that I use to power my radio). I just snipped a piece of plastic from a zip tie and pushed it into the slot to preload it.

But until I had that fixed, I used a push button start. I bought a horn button and clamped it to the steering column. Horn button operated a "hot start" relay to turn the starter. That did work just fine for a long time. As I recall, I think I just spliced the wires for the horn button into the harness going up to the switch.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: problems installing push button start Reply with quote

Well . My 76 Westy came with a push button switch.. Now 12+ years later it still worrks great.. Many cars came stock with these switches. They work Great so I don't get the problem.. Life is too short.. vws have problems with the long wires from front to back so the sololnd doesn't get enough power to make contact with the starter motor to kick in. Hence the relay hooked to either a button switch or the reg switch . All vw's switches have no repeat fitchure since the fifties.Good luck Bill Vt & PR.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: