Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

My wife and I were very fortunate to find this time capsule of a Syncro with 54,000 original miles. A classic car wholesaler in Southern California bought this from the second owner (purchased in 1991 with 17,000 miles) as part of multi-car classic car garage purchase. Basically been sitting in a garage since 1998 with only 1000 miles on it since. As you can imagine, inside and out in mint condition but anything sitting that long is going to have some mechanical maintance to go through..., this is where we begin.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

*What has been done so far...

-Oil and filter change
-flushed and refilled brake and clutch fluid systems
-Flush and refill power steering hydraulics with ATF
-Flush, drain, and refill coolant
-Re-sealed AFM cover and removed unusual grounding wire on housing
-Emptied & cleaned Syncro "cyclone" pre-filter
-Replaced fuel lines using COHLINE 2240 proper Oetiker crimp clamps
-Replaced plug wires, spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor
-Replaced muffler brackets with stainless
-Replaced rear shocks (Bilstein)
-Replaced power steering pump
-Replaced shifter fork tabs & re-greased
-upgraded to GoWesty 16" black Alloys with 215 BFG's

* Items purchased but not yet installed

-GoWesty big break kit
-Stainless Steel coolant pipes
-Locking console
-RMW front and rear bumpers with spare tire carrier and box
-Fridge delete kit
-Rotopax/Shovel/Axe
-Shifter overhaul bundle
-Plan to change gear oils very soon as well

*Items I'm considering

-Roof Rack
-Fox suspension upgrade (possibly only front and leave stock springs/bilsteins in rear)
-Solar panel in cargo area and 200AH aux system
-Alpine apple car play system (although we love the stock tape player!)
-Rear backup and camp lights, front light bar and/or spots on front grille guard
-Awning (ARB vs Fiamma?)

*Current issues from first week as daily driver

-Right away we had issues with it not going into first gear. Luckily, A quick adjustment of the shifter linkage seemed to work great. I'll wait to upgrade the shifter with the overhaul kit once needed.
-The first trip to the coast where it saw a slight incline (I mean slight) we noticed a total loss in power. Basically had to shift down into second gear to get any acceleration. The fuel lines were replaced in SoCal before we purchased and had it hauled up to NorCal where we live. They DID NOT drain the fuel tank and I'm not sure how much fuel was in the tank but whatever it was, it was sitting in there for over 20 years. They also did not change the fuel filter which I just ordered and will replace soon. Also went ahead and ordered new fuel injectors. Hopefully it's one of these two items. Could possibly be clogged CAT but that seems less likely at 54,000 miles?

So what's next? Anything else you all recommend to upgrade/replace?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

Nice find! What's the little flap behind the slider?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

I'd have a real hard time changing anything on a time capsule like that.
Other than the fluids etc. Perhaps out of greed.
An original like that will be worth triple-digits in a few short years.
Changing as much as you intend, I'd prefer to do a project like that to a pre-molested Westy. Wink

I started to write a PSA about your granny gear but deleted and put it in your transaxle thread.

Also curious what's that little dot in the location where the decoupler knob goes.

I'd test if that fridge works before removing it because someone's gonna covet it. Then you can then tell the lucky recipient if it works (or not). If it works as a 3-way, they are kinda wonderful, especially the '90 with electronic ignition. Often they work for a day or two then fail. So to prove it works ya gotta leave it running on propane for a week or 3. They are rumored to run 3 weeks on a tank of propane.

A 3-way fridge cuts back on your battery needs significantly, you could prob get by well.... with 50Ah of Lithium if you didn't have to feed a hungry electric fridge. There are no real prizes awarded for the biggest electrical system on the smallest 4WD RV.

But OK you have different plan for this van.
Just know that kittens are dying with every change.....

If you decide you need solar, I recommend this because it clips into your cargo rack with no mods. But you have to locate a 19.6" wide solar panel, which were available for a few years but have become hard to find lately. I designed the mount so of course I like it. My good friend (Ela) was building and selling them for $270. Ela is stoked by new projects but gets bored once the novelty wears off, he's not well suited for rote production. Even at $270 he 'got tired' of making them. Maybe someone else will build them.

If those tires are 215/65R15 the spare will fit in the original location with some mods to the original clamshell. I like that the pan protects the tire sidewall. But others like the spare to be visible for that 4x4 look.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:55 am; edited 3 times in total
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

huh, is that what the carpet's supposed to look like? Interesting.

Regarding the old fuel, yeah, get that out of there and change the filter.

Regarding the new injectors you ordered, which ones?

With these antiques, it's generally albeit not always a good idea to order your parts from a specialty vendor like gowesty, vancafe, buslab, busdept, vanagain. Injectors are a good example, the ones that auto parts store provide are junk, better off re-furbishing the originals.

Marco Mansi sells premium injectors people really seem to like. I had good results sending my old injectors for re-furbishing.

Beautiful van.
Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

Nice Westy! Congrats...

Sodo wrote:
I'd have a real hard time changing anything on a time capsule like that. An original like that will be worth triple-digits in a few short years. Changing as much as you intend, I'd prefer to do a project like that to a pre-molested Westy.

I agree with this sentiment. It is only original once, so limit the molestation. You will thank yourself a decade from now if you keep it mostly original.

I would beef up the coolant system, replace fuel lines, SS brake lines, upgrade shocks and springs, H4 headlights, aux. battery system and call it a day. But to each their own!
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Nice find! What's the little flap behind the slider?

So it had a shower cabinet installed when we purchased it. Housed a toilet as well. Very cool design with stainless hot water heater plumbed into propane, shower head pull out, and curtain. That flap on the exterior of the van is to fill the added water tank mounted underneath passenger floor. It was the first thing we took out and haven't decided what we are going to do with the extra clean water tank and grey water tank. I kept the cabinet box/shower system and would be free to a good home if someone wants it!

SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I'd have a real hard time changing anything on a time capsule like that.
Other than the fluids etc. Perhaps out of greed.
An original like that will be worth triple-digits in a few short years.
Changing as much as you intend, I'd prefer to do a project like that to a pre-molested Westy. Wink

I started to write a PSA about your granny gear but deleted and put it in your transaxle thread.

Also curious what's that little dot in the location where the decoupler knob
goes.

So the red dot is the original theft alarm system. I haven't looked into it but have the two original key chain remotes...

I'd test if that fridge works before removing it because someone's gonna covet it. Then you can then tell the lucky recipient if it works (or not). If it works as a 3-way, they are kinda wonderful, especially the '90 with electronic ignition. Often they work for a day or two then fail. So to prove it works ya gotta leave it running on propane for a week or 3. They are rumored to run 3 weeks on a tank of propane.

A 3-way fridge cuts back on your battery needs significantly, you could prob get by well.... with 50Ah of Lithium if you didn't have to feed a hungry electric fridge. There are no real prizes awarded for the biggest electrical system on the smallest 4WD RV.

The fridge is rumored to work but I'm waiting to change out the propane tank before testing. But, even better is that the prior owner had a spare fridge that he bought in 1991 and it's new in the original box. Came with the van! We will most likely sell it because they are a bit small for us and we are use to our Dometic CFX55.

But OK you have different plan for this van.
Just know that kittens are dying with every change.....

If you decide you need solar, I recommend this because it clips into your cargo rack with no mods. But you have to locate a 19.6" wide solar panel, which were available for a few years but have become hard to find lately. I designed the mount so of course I like it. My good friend (Ela) was building and selling them for $270. Ela is stoked by new projects but gets bored once the novelty wears off, he's not well suited for rote production. Even at $270 he 'got tired' of making them. Maybe someone else will build them.

Love that! Exactly what we are thinking of.

If those tires are 215/65R15 the spare will fit in the original location with some mods to the original clamshell. I like that the pan protects the tire sidewall. But others like the spare to be visible for that 4x4 look.
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:

With these antiques, it's generally albeit not always a good idea to order your parts from a specialty vendor like gowesty, vancafe, buslab, busdept, vanagain. Injectors are a good example, the ones that auto parts store provide are junk, better off re-furbishing the originals.

Marco Mansi sells premium injectors people really seem to like. I had good results sending my old injectors for re-furbishing.

Beautiful van.

Thank you! So I ordered the Gowesty injectors. Hopefully they will be fine and I know a lot of people are running them.
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

Vanuber wrote:
Nice Westy! Congrats...

Sodo wrote:
I'd have a real hard time changing anything on a time capsule like that. An original like that will be worth triple-digits in a few short years. Changing as much as you intend, I'd prefer to do a project like that to a pre-molested Westy.

I agree with this sentiment. It is only original once, so limit the molestation. You will thank yourself a decade from now if you keep it mostly original.

I would beef up the coolant system, replace fuel lines, SS brake lines, upgrade shocks and springs, H4 headlights, aux. battery system and call it a day. But to each their own!

Thank you! I totally get it. Our 1966 split window is more or less 100% bone stock (except for the Gene Berg motor) and will stay that way. This Syncro is going to be more of an expedition vehicle to cross country in so some of the mods just make it a bit more convenient and fun. We do also have a 1986 Syncro that I'm restoring that is also totally original with 162,000 miles and we will be keeping that rig stock more or less. But, intend on selling that one someday.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

SoloTheSyncro wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

Beautiful van.

Thank you! So I ordered the Gowesty injectors. Hopefully they will be fine and I know a lot of people are running them.

Honestly?
I'd return the injectors and send your gently used injectors off to MrInjector in Courdeleone (sp) Idaho to be cleaned.
If you decide to keep theirs, I'll pay for shipping of your old ones to me.
You will discover that most original bits are way better than almost any new ones available today! Repair and reuse. (Plastic fuel and cooling bits exempted)
New is NOT better in most instances!

Just because GoWesty sells something doesn't always make it better. It often makes it more expensive.

Replace fuel lines!

That extra lid behind the sliding doot?
Part of the shower set up?

I'm surprised SODO didn't mention it but change your transmission/transaxle/front differential oils now and frequently thereafter. Way More frequently than you would think you should.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

I find it odd that new van owners rush to remove the working 3 way fridge and install more weight with more batteries and systems to charge them. My orig fridge fires up every time and can make ice.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
SoloTheSyncro wrote:
mikemtnbike wrote:

Beautiful van.

in Courdeleone (sp) Idaho

Coeur d'Alene.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Westy Syncro Resurrection, overland build, and what's next? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
djkeev wrote:

in Courdeleone (sp) Idaho

Coeur d'Alene.

I spell the city where Mr. Injector is located "Dalton Gardens". It's near Coeur d'Alene. Smile
Nice that Mr. Injector gives each order a before and after flow test report.

The new GoWesty injectors are not just replicas of the 1980s injectors. They are much more modern design from https://deatschwerks.com/

Similar to the MansiSpeed injectors.

I'd trust all three, Mr. Injector rebuilt as well as modern injectors from GW and MansiSpeed.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: