Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

I have some extra cables and fuses on my battery terminals, and found that the tight fit of the NAPA Group41 was taxing my connections.

So I cut off the offending plastic extremities.
I 'sanded' the extremities off with a fglapper wheel on the angle grinder.
But these mods can be done easily with a hacksaw or a multitool.
Maybe even with a drywall knife.

Note the lift strap tied around the battery.
I've been transferring this same strap to successive batteries for 16 years, but this is the first time I've cut off all the battery parts that hassle me.

It's so much easier to drop in and lift out.

Not that i have to take it out often....but more often than I prefer. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It also fit better by chamfering this lower engagement shelf on the rear.

Take care to stay outside of the basic rectangular case profile. Don't cut "in" or the wet stuff might come out. Shocked

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

This is why I prefer the T-5. Nice and easy to drop in. Only a little smaller, but makes a huge difference.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

NAPA Group 41 Weighs 40.0 lbs and LWH is 11.6 x 6.9 x 6.9

T5 weighs 32.1 lbs and LWH is 9.5 x 6.9 x 6.9 Inches

OK the T5 is 2 inches shorter and 8 lbs less.
I would guess that the T5 weighing 20% less has 20% less capacity.
Which may not be a problem. It may cost about 20% less too.

But anyway the NAPA group 41 pops in and out of the battery box like greased lightning if you are able to shorten the battery by ~3/4" as shown.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

I like the 2" shorter T-5 too. I'll check back in 3-5 years if it seems less durable than the Group 41. If I had a Group 41 battery I might do what you've done, it's a darn tight fit.

As for cables terminating at the battery posts, I've been believing that I'll eventually add a fuse box to make it easier to draw power directly from the battery. Right now I have a horn, fog lights and the battery combiner connected to the pos battery post of the starting battery. I that replacing those three wires with one 6-8 ga cable leading to a small fuse box will simplify future additions.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I would guess that the T5 weighing 20% less has 20% less capacity.

For a starting battery? Wrong.

kamzcab86 wrote:

The T5 is the same height as the 41, but not as wide. The H5 is the same size the T5, but is slightly taller. Both the H5 and T5 have slightly lower flanges at the bottom than the 41. All three have 650 CCA's.

A T5 was installed in my Vanagon and Cabriolet in 2018... both still going strong.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

I doubt theres a noticeable difference in durability.
How a battery is treated has a lot of effect on its durability.
If all works out the smaller battery should be fine.

But I can assure you that 20% less lead equates to 20% less Amp-Hours.
Independent of the similar Cold Cranking Amps rating.
More lead will put out 650 CCA for longer but the smaller battery likely works out well in many conditions. Certainly in mild conditions.
OEM has to spec a battery for the worst conditions.
Relatively few vans are used under those worst case conditions.
My van lights up on less than 1second, I don’t need capacity unless I somehow drained the battery.
Or parked north of the arctic circle… Wink

But anyway this thread subject is Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit
And the crux of the matter is.... a modified NAPA Group 41 will drop in and pull out easily.
This becomes more desirable if you have added connections, cables, fuses etc.
And if you have had to R&R your battery and simply want it to be easier, and you are the type who "modifies"....

Those who don't find this an easy mod (every 5 years?) and are OK with a 20% smaller battery now know the T5 works too.

Last edited by Sodo on Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Which is why I specified "starting battery". If a new, but different size battery produces the same cranking amps as what was specified 40 years ago, what's the problem with using the easier-to-install version? Battery technology has changed over the last 40 years... heck, my 2016 GTI uses the smaller H5 lead-acid battery, which produces a range of CCA's from 650 to 680.

If we were talking about an aux battery, for which amp hours are important, yeah, different story. (And, yes, I understand that Europeans use Ah ratings instead of CCA's for starting batteries, but we're not in Europe.)

Sodo wrote:
Those who don't find this an easy mod (every 5 years) and are OK with a 20% smaller battery now know the T5 works too.

Actually, it was a suggestion several years ago by Ahwahnee, hence why a number of us have switched to a T5 starting battery, particularly for the cramped, PITA Westy box.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

IIRC the best match for a Group 41 is a T6 (Group 91) battery, it is close to identical in height and width, and just a tad shorter in length.

There is a T65 as well, but depending on brand it is going to be a really tight fit.

Last edited by Wildthings on Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

Battery dimensions:
- T5 is 51mm less long than the Group 41 with the same height and width
- T65 = Group 41 in every dimension
- H6 is 15 mm taller than a Group 41 with the same length and width

Links to relevant threads
- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

And the crux of the matter is.... a modified NAPA Group 41 will drop in and pull out easily.

thanks for posting this modification. I've done lots of work on my vans, but never occurred to me to remove the extra plastic for an easier fit. Just got used to the battery removal/install struggle. Good post, great modification.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I doubt theres a noticeable difference in durability.
How a battery is treated has a lot of effect on its durability.
If all works out the smaller battery should be fine.

More lead will put out 650 CCA for longer but the smaller battery likely works out well in many conditions. Certainly in mild conditions.
OEM has to spec a battery for the worst conditions.
Relatively few vans are used under those worst case conditions.
My van lights up on less than 1second, I don’t need capacity unless I somehow drained the battery.
Or parked north of the arctic circle… Wink

This becomes more desirable if you have added connections, cables, fuses etc.
And if you have had to R&R your battery and simply want it to be easier, and you are the type who "modifies"....

Those who don't find this an easy mod (every 5 years?) and are OK with a 20% smaller battery now know the T5 works too.

Except the T5 is not 20% less capacity. I can find specs showing a group 41 as 34.51 lbs. My T5 is the same height as my group 41, despite specs stating it is shorter. I wish it wasn’t as tall.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
GreggK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

Good idea on grinding the battery down. I always hated trying to remove my old one.
Here is a picture of the T6 installed. Like Wildthings said, its just a little shorter in length than the 41. Leaves room for extra connections. I added a bolt extender to mine.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

Warranty on modified battery?

I'm guessing zero, nada, none.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Warranty on modified battery?
I'm guessing zero, nada, none.

You’re old school. The warranty is 24 months now. It will probably last about 5 years.

Warranty on batteries now is “We can’t allow it in the store. Put it on that cart over there and lets check the paperwork”.
The person evaluating your warranty is unable to test it in any way, mentally or physically. You try to explain how you’ve determined that its faulty and you get a blank stare. They won’t have the slightest idea if you cut tabs off. They don’t even want to touch it.

The last two batteries I warranted were all done on paper.

And my battery fits, easily. 👍🏽👍🏽

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
[My T5 is the same height as my group 41, despite specs stating it is shorter. I wish it wasn’t as tall.

Battery size specs appear to be interesting. The BCI/DIN chart above shows the Group 41 and T5 each being 175mm tall.

Abscate wrote:

Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

And after the customer leaves with a new battery, they just warrantied, the store sends it back. A few days later the manager get a notice that the battery was modified and the claim denied. That manager comes out to the person who accepted the battery and the person gets in trouble. In the old days, they had to pay for the loss.

As Paul Harvey once said, now you know the rest of the story.

It's sad that people try to scam the system. At some point, someone gets screwed and like musical chairs, someone is left out. As long as it's not you, you walk out of the store with a smile. It's a good chance that someone will be walking out of the office with a frown.

I get that you modify things and yes, the battery will probably last over the warranty period, but accept the fact that you modified the battery and own the pitfalls that come with that. Don't pass the turd in someone else's pocket.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
And after the customer leaves with a new battery, they just warrantied, the store sends it back. A few days later the manager get a notice that the battery was modified and the claim denied. That manager comes out to the person who accepted the battery and the person gets in trouble.

—————-

……accept the fact that you modified the battery and own the pitfalls that come with that. Don't pass the turd in someone else's pocket.

Nobody even looks at the battery, they don’t test it, nothing.

Morally,,,,,,if it doesn’t last 24 months; the turd is in in my pocket and they need to take care of me.
The Battery has to hold a charge.

Tabs are absolutely immaterial to the battery’s performance..
The tabs being their trump card that absolves them from performence responsibility?——-totally disagree.
They’re not gonna sell this battery to another customer who might need the tabs.
It’s not much different than peeling off the price sticker.

Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

Butcher;

I have to agree with Sodo...when that warranteed Batt goes back, I doubt they spend one second inspecting the case for damage or testing it in any way! ...I do expect when it gets to the Batt builder, it goes from the pallet with all the others (some truely dead, and some not so dead, because they came from a car parts store where they wouldn't know a load-test from something you do to your Depends), and it goes into their system where the top gets lobbed off and the lead gets recycled...I wouldn't feel so terrible about modifying the case a little to allow fitting...

Cheers
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

We cannot accept this warranty because evidence suggests you’ve charged it too many times.
The lab results show that it went flat dead twice and it also shows evidence of a desulfation process.

By the scratches on the case it appears you did this twice, likely during initial install. Removal of the tabs indicates that you actually enjoyed an un-earned ease of install, a positive benefit that we have assessed at $10 for each install and removal for a total of $40. It’s not fair to others struggling, that you can have an easy, uneventful battery install. You could plan your installs better.

Therefore we have deducted $40 from your warranty settlement.
Since your battery only had $34 remaining value, you owe $6.00.

🤣🤣🤣

Further evidence suggests you smiled each time you realized what a hassle those tabs were and how easy it was to eliminate them.
That will be $2 each, totalling $10 owed.

And you are smiling now, so $12 total.

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Modify NAPA group 41 battery for better fit Reply with quote

You do not have to agree with me. 25 years at a dealership, I've seen plenty of parts that were kicked back because of situations like this. Between the technician getting backflagged [pay taken out of their paycheck] and the parts department eating the part, the client was never called and charged. In severe cases, the tech paid for everything.

How many parts have you seen kicked back? Assume all you want, I used to work behind the curtain and it happens.

There is a difference from a part that you can see how it's ground up vs internal damage. Poor comparison. The factory did not expect you to cut open a part to find the root cause.

You need to understand, big companies do not warranty anything they do not have to. They have quality control warehouses to determine the root cause of failures. If they can send the part back to the dealership with just cause, they will. Now that the part is back to the dealership and the money already taken out of the corporate account, where do you think the store gets their money?

In the end, many people do not care that someone else pays for the problems they cause. They are happy they were on the better end of the deal and they could careless if someone else is holding the turd. I'm just saying, someone usually pays in the end. And that cost is added on the item/service you are trying to buy in the future.

Again, it does not really matter if you never warranty it. I certainly would do the same thing, I would handle a failure slightly different. It's my decision to modify the part and I usually accept everything that goes with that decision.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: