Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring GM Column to old wiring.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:33 am    Post subject: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

Hope I can get some help here wiring my new GM ididit type column to my old wiring. The old column was from a 73 mustang tilt. The new column has tilt as well. I used the ididit wiring diagram and everything seem to match up color wise anyways. but I have 3 separate wires from the old column that have me confused. The colors are orange/blue...solid blue... and black with orange stripe. All of the wires from the old column are connected to the new column, except those three. I haven't tested the connection yet but thought some one here can shed a bit of light as to where do I go from here. I will test the wiring and post my findings, but I'll wait your responses before I do.
Appreciate any help on this..

Thanks..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

20 views, not one reply? Come on guys, some has to know how to wire these things up! None of the schematics I got from ididit or flaming river match the wires from the ford column . Frustrated.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

If this helps to give you an idea of what it looks like. The wires on left are from the late model mustang that was there when I got the buggy, and the left side is the gm wiring. According to the schematic I got from ididit. All hooked up and nothing worked.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The other two were left over. Maybe I missed something

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can clearly see the wire markings,,,
jbsx127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0262/4867/5386/f...1590552626

Look on and around pages 35 and 36. GM and Ford column wiring diagrams. Some wire colors don't match what you said but you should ohm those wires anyway.
Hope this can help you.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

Am I just missing something? Have you tried power up the car and seeing what is not working? Have you chased them? Tested them?
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

Thank you jbsx127, so much for the link, this should help me pretty much. I will chase the wires with a tester, but as I mention before I'm not electrically savey... ,/

But thank you again for the information.

Last edited by legotech7 on Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

jspbtown, thank you for your help. The bug powered up ok, and when I turned the switch on for the lights, they all lit up fine. Just no turn signals, no horn, and I think I blew the flasher some how in the process. I will chase the wires with a ohm meter, I presume this well work best to check the wires? Thanks again for all your help. I will follow up as I go along. Might take a while.....lol....
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

You have no choice OP, but to chase the wires somehow. I told my guys for years that
Quote:
electricity is nothing more than connect the dots, and it doesn't care what color crayon you use.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

slayer61e , guess I'll have to. Is it better to use an ohm meter?. Or test light? I'm assuming I have to power up column first , correct?... Thank again for all the help....
jbsx127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

Best is power off, batt disconnected. Ohm with meter the unknown wires to where they go. Or find out where they go which tells you what they are for.

You want batt disconnected because you don't want to ohm a wire that might have power on it. If it ohms to a 12 volt source, you can than set your meter to volts and reconnect power to make sure it has 12 volts or switched 12volts (like when you have 12 volts when you turn the key to on). Than connect power in to the appropriate pin on the GM column connector.

Like if the orange/blue wire goes to (ohms) one of the turn signals, you would than attach that wire to the GM column connector pin for the appropriate turn signal'

Or you could run all new wiring, but trying to figure it out is better.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

Thanks jbsx127, this helps a lot. I should mention that I have a separate ignition switch on the buggy since the new column didn't come with it. Does that change the way to test wires ?.....
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

The best way is to yank the seats so you have a nice place to lay. Put a nice fluffy blanket down, get a goo light source and spend some time on your back following wires.

Cut any zip ties, remove any wrapping and just literally follow the wire to where it goes.

It sounds like your signals are messed up. So...in essence the circuit for blinkers will be:

- Keyed power into flasher.
- Wire out of flasher to steering column
- From steering column there will be a right lead (right turn signals) and a left lead (left signals). how those leads go to the front and rear signals is anyone's guess.

Once you get one system working move onto the next.

For the IDIDIT you will likely only have blinkers, horn and flasher circuits.
jbsx127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

When you try to figure out what wires go where, disconnect the battery so you don't accidently short anything out and melt wiring.
Also, get a connector to mate the GM column connector
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/American-Autowire-5...matchtype={match_type}&msclkid=4c00751bdc1213aac6ea1436ff619d07&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SMI%20-%20Shopping%20(CSE)%20(Bing)&utm_term=4577404348792035&utm_content=All%20Products%20(Feb28_2020)

You might need to learn how to properly crimp those contacts and get the right crimper to do so.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

I thought the IDIDIT column came with the other part of the GM connector. No?
jbsx127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

I got an off brand tilt column and mine only came with the column side, so for 10 bucks I just got the kit from speedway. I don't know about ididit.

Legotech
If you do some searches and watch some youtube videos, it will help you out allot with installing pins in connectors, crimping connectors, wiring and such. Don't watch just 1 video. Watch a few and see what makes sense.
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

My column came with connectors. I did get another kit from speedway. I have crimping tool and already out the connectors on the old harness as pictured. Nice and secure. Now for the task of putting all together. It about 95 degrees here today, and my garage is about 105. So I'll probably be working on it tonight when its a bit cooler. I really hate to unwrap those wire looms, so I'm hoping to get this with the multimeter. But if I have to , I will.... Again thanks all. Still welcome any more advice. This is a learning curve for me...
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

For the IDIDIT you will likely only have blinkers, horn and flasher circuits. This is correct...The column isn't keyed.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

So much is often hidden in those looms. A bad splice, a pulled butt connector, a change in wire color.....they all make chasing gremlins a total nightmare.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

legotech7 wrote:
For the IDIDIT you will likely only have blinkers, horn and flasher circuits. This is correct...The column isn't keyed.

Possibly the rear brake lights, as well through the N/C of the turn signals? Question
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
legotech7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiring GM Column to old wiring. Reply with quote

Yea, I have my work cut out for me. Hope it won't take too long..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: