Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 69 Westy with a 3 rib 002 gearbox and a 1600 twin port. My gearbox needs a rebuild and Im planning on having the ring and pinion changed for better gearing on the motorway. I assume it will be the same, or similar gearing to a 6 rib?

Anyway, I was planning on rebuilding the 1600 at the same time to help with the longer gearing. Im hoping a very mild 1776 will be enough? Id like to keep everything stock - the cam, and heads etc all stock, just a balanced crank assembly. Id also like to keep a single vacuum advance distributor, 34 pict 3 and stock exhaust.

Will this be enough to cope with the gearing? Or would I need a small cam, twin 36 DRLA or IDFs, and a better exhaust?

Cheers

See more of our work here:
www.instagram.com/retrorestoration
www.facebook.com/retrorestos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

I upgraded to a later gear ratio in my 1971 and it was a huge mistake.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

I can see that just like me you have preconceived ideas about what you think will work best in your bus.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Why was it a mistake? Cheers

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I can see that just like me you have preconceived ideas about what you think will work best in your bus.

?

Thanks

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:
SGKent wrote:

because it needed lower gearing in 4th. Every small hill slowed the bus much more. It also caused the engine to run at a lower RPM which meant less air and more overheating.

Gary told you the same thing that the preconceived solution isn't the path to take in a bay. They are utility trucks, not modern SUV's. My Acura SUV can easily hit and sustain 130 MPH. My 2L VW bus feels like a kite near 80 mph and prefers to jog along at 60 mph or so. You'll have to convert that to KM.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Don’t change the R&P of the transaxle, just like the others have stated you will regret it. I have a ‘71 Westy with a 2275cc and the stock 3 rib 002 transaxle, which was rebuilt. It’s a great combo. Plenty of torque to push a heavy loaded bus and it is able to maintain speeds a lot better.

Building a 1776 seems silly to me. If you are gonna pay a machinist to open your case, why not have it opened to accept 94 pistons and build a 1914. It’s not like the price is going to be higher. A 1914 with a PICT34 (with an enlarged Venturi) and a Engle 90 cam is a real stump puller.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

I think his preconceived notion involves Porsche speeds as opposed to stump puller torque.

Seems to me you need to keep your stock tranny. Then build a slightly larger, well balanced, high RPM engine. Being able to run all day long at 4500 rpm would get you the highway speed you want. You’ll need all the rotating engine parts balanced as well as a welded and balanced generator fan that can handle the rpm.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Try going to larger diameter tires to begin with. 27x8.5r14's will effectively give you 5% longer gearing than the stock 185r14 tires, and make is easy and cheap to go back to stock if you want.

For what it's worth, on a 4-5% grade my empty bus with an aged 1800, late 002 gearing, 27x8.5R14 tires, and a progressive carb will out pull my empty Thing with a 1600, 185r14 tires, Bug gearing and stock carburetion.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

I agree with the 27x8.5 tires, but you gotta have the engine to push them.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I think his preconceived notion involves Porsche speeds as opposed to stump puller torque.

Seems to me you need to keep your stock tranny. Then build a slightly larger, well balanced, high RPM engine. Being able to run all day long at 4500 rpm would get you the highway speed you want. You’ll need all the rotating engine parts balanced as well as a welded and balanced generator fan that can handle the rpm.

Not sure where you get the impression Im looking for Porsche speeds from my original post?

I was hoping for something in between what it is now, and how my old late bay with the 2 litre type 4 with 6 rib drove. I understand Im not going to get the same power / torque as a 2 litre type 4 from a 1776 with a stock cam etc, but if I could get a little closer to it that would be nice. If not, no big deal, Ill just keep the gearbox the same and keep to 55/60 instead of 65/70mph like my old bay would sit at...

Ideally was looking for real world experience of doing the same as what I had planned rather than just opinions.

mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Try going to larger diameter tires to begin with. 27x8.5r14's will effectively give you 5% longer gearing than the stock 185r14 tires, and make is easy and cheap to go back to stock if you want.

For what it's worth, on a 4-5% grade my empty bus with an aged 1800, late 002 gearing, 27x8.5R14 tires, and a progressive carb will out pull my empty Thing with a 1600, 185r14 tires, Bug gearing and stock carburetion.

Thanks... Im not sure if I want to keep the bus stock height using the stock 14" wheels and 185r14 tyres or if I want to lower it and upgrade the brakes with a Wilwood kit with vented rotors which needs 15"wheels, so could potentially increase the rear tyre size if I fitted a bigger engine as RichParker says.

mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Don’t change the R&P of the transaxle, just like the others have stated you will regret it. I have a ‘71 Westy with a 2275cc and the stock 3 rib 002 transaxle, which was rebuilt. It’s a great combo. Plenty of torque to push a heavy loaded bus and it is able to maintain speeds a lot better.

Building a 1776 seems silly to me. If you are gonna pay a machinist to open your case, why not have it opened to accept 94 pistons and build a 1914. It’s not like the price is going to be higher. A 1914 with a PICT34 (with an enlarged Venturi) and a Engle 90 cam is a real stump puller.

Thanks Rich.

I have built and ran quite a few big engines before and I was planning on keeping this one more ... mild. I had a 2276 in my last Beetle with IDAs, magneto, etc and didnt enjoy it. I want something that drives more like stock, but with a little more power which is why Im considering the 1776. Have also considered a 1914 but thought the thicker cylinder walls on the 1776 barrels would be more sensible.

I loved my old 1776... which I eventually rebuilt as 1955 which I also liked... but I dont want to get involved in cut to length pushrods, aftermarket crank / rods / clutch etc.

Cheers

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

mabbo wrote:

Ideally was looking for real world experience of doing the same as what I had planned rather than just opinions.

I gave you real world experience. I’ve been running 2L T1 engines matched the stock 002 transaxles in early bays for 10 years.

There are 2 links in my signature line. One of my current ‘71 Westy build with a 2275cc and the other is of my adventures in that bus. Please feel free to check them out and read for yourself.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mabbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
mabbo wrote:
SGKent wrote:

because it needed lower gearing in 4th. Every small hill slowed the bus much more. It also caused the engine to run at a lower RPM which meant less air and more overheating.

Gary told you the same thing that the preconceived solution isn't the path to take in a bay. They are utility trucks, not modern SUV's. My Acura SUV can easily hit and sustain 130 MPH. My 2L VW bus feels like a kite near 80 mph and prefers to jog along at 60 mph or so. You'll have to convert that to KM.

Thanks. Did you do anything to the engine when you changed the gear ratios?

I understand its an old bus and cant be compared to a modern SUV but I loved how my old late bay with the 6 rib and 2 litre drove. Ideally Id like to get a little closer to that. My 69 seems to like to sit at 55/60mph... but it feels happier at 55mph to me. I feel like Im revving it too much at 60/65 to want to stay at that speed too long... Where as my old late bay with the 2 litre and 6 rib would sit at 65/70 comfortably all day.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

I am an old man now and my math isn't nearly as good as when I was younger. But I believe that a 2L has a 94mm bore. That means the surface area is 6940 sq mm. A 1600 has a 85.5mm bore. That is 5,741 sq mm. The 2l has almost 20% more surface area on the piston. That is essentially 20% more push when the cylinder fires. The stroke affects how long that push is and the angles involved, but in general the shorter the stroke the more frequent the engine can fire, and the faster it can spin. To get max push you want the larger bore, assuming that the case, crank, clutch, rods can handle the forces. A longer stroke engine of the same bore will have more torque, but the top end speed won't really be all that faster. I proved that back when I built racing engines by building smaller displacement engines (same bore but shorter stroke) that went faster down the straightaway than longer stroke engines. The shorter stroke engines reved faster and higher. A longer stroke will generally be more efficient as it will harness more of the heat that pushes it. A 1776 is a bore of 90.5 mm so it will be about half the power gain of a 2L over a 1600. A 2L T4 is 1970 cc. A 1600 is 1584 cc.

Last edited by SGKent on Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

it's all in the combo

i'd play with tire size to shed a couple hundred RPM's but a 1776 is a warmed up 1600 imho.

i have a 1904 in my 71 with stock gearing. it will do 75 at about 3800-4k all day.

if you liked the late bay, copy the power and gearing of that. these engines scream because they need to keep the fan speed up for cooling.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

"Ideally was looking for real world experience of doing the same as what I had planned rather than just opinions."

"I understand its an old bus and cant be compared to a modern SUV but I loved how my old late bay with the 6 rib and 2 litre drove. Ideally Id like to get a little closer to that."

Okay, real world experience. In order to get what you want the following is what I did for a customer with deep pockets. His was a 1968 bus with stock engine and tranny. Here are pics of what it became. Apologies to all you guys that have seen this before.

2007cc engine with dual Dellortos
Engle 100 cam
Sidewinder exhaust

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

091 Six rib

Power drum brakes

Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
dub_crazee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Cool pic of your servo bro.

Ultimately if you’ve got 100 hp + you’ll have enough power for a longer 4th and lower rpm cruising. Talk to you transmission builder; tyre sizes, power and use of vehicle will all make a difference to what he recommends.

You know the score Mabbo
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1776 engine and gearbox / transmission upgrade for my 69 Westy Reply with quote

Please show me your 100hp rear wheel HP bus build, I’d love to see it.

In the real world I dynoed my 2175cc on a Mustang Dyno in Tucson, Az. 75 HP with 107 FPT.

Unless you show your bus on a rear wheel dyno with “real” numbers, all your calculations mean nothing!

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: