Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

was thinking about how to simply & non-destructively lock a big cap for use with CB black box. came up with the following - a simple 1mm (edit: 2mm) thick steel plate which fits over the two posts that normally locate the spring. holes are a precise fit (5.1 mm and 4.9 mm). they prevent any movement, & the spring is then placed in its usual position to add tension. the whole thing is very stiff. breaker plate is located exactly halfway between its normal min/max positions.

if anyone can see any issues with this let me know:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by daos on Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Cool "That's using your head" as my grandpa would of said Laughing
I see no issues
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Great idea! Alot better than someone elses idea of using a long screw from the side jammed up against the breaker plate, which then rubs on the shaft. I dont know if your position in the middle is best, but its easy to fix
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Great idea! Alot better than someone elses idea of using a long screw from the side jammed up against the breaker plate, which then rubs on the shaft. I dont know if your position in the middle is best, but its easy to fix

Actually using the screw does lock the plate but it does not touch the shaft. The shaft spins inside the body and the breaker plate is outside. Obviously you never had a 40hp Big Cap apart. When giving an opinion, you should knowing what you're talking about.

OP... I like your idea Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually using the screw does lock the plate but it does not touch the shaft. The shaft spins inside the body and the breaker plate is outside. Obviously you never had a 40hp Big Cap apart.

I have taken them apart. Your fix is like driving with the brakes on, but go ahead
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Great idea! A lot better than someone elses idea of using a long screw from the side jammed up against the breaker plate, which then rubs on the shaft. I dont know if your position in the middle is best, but its easy to fix

i understand what you're getting at and looking at a completely assembled unit it does look like the plate rides around the shaft, in which case jamming it from the side would be a terrible idea - but the breaker plate actually rotates around the outside of the (very beefy & stiff) shaft housing in the distributor body, and the shaft runs through the centre of the housing. so in fact, there is no contact between the breaker and the shaft.

will have to see about the position - as you say, easy fix. thinking about how to make the plate adjustable.. but that might be overthinking it.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I have taken them apart.

No you haven't or you wouldn't say that. The shaft spins inside and the breaker plate moves on the outside.

I do agree that the OP's solution is more elegant.

chrisflstf wrote:
Your fix is like driving with the brakes on, but go ahead

Please explain this.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Quote:
i understand what you're getting at and looking at a completely assembled unit it does look like the plate rides around the shaft, in which case jamming it from the side would be a terrible idea - but the breaker plate actually rotates around the outside of the (very beefy & stiff) shaft housing in the distributor body, and the shaft runs through the centre of the housing. so in fact, there is no contact between the breaker and the shaft.

Your right, my bad!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
Quote:

Your right, my bad!

Moving on....

Again I like the OP's solution and will have to copy it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

The only issue I see is a possible phasing problem. But you can check that when you get it in the engine and start adjusting.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
The only issue I see is a possible phasing problem. But you can check that when you get it in the engine and start adjusting.

Agreed, i would lock it as if it was at 0* advance.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

y, can check phasing in situ, and 0° does sound like a better start point. will make a new version and see if i can maybe add some adjustability.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

If you have the means to make them easily, Id sell them. Glenn would buy some and I would also. Zero advance seems the best as I assume locked out 009 or 010's are done at zero. There is the wide tip rotor in some cases also to deal with phasing
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Not sure there's much of a market since I had a locked 40 ad.for 2 years and its still available.

Maybe make 10 and offer them at $10 shipped.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

hadn't thought about selling.. let's see where i end up with the (posssibly maybe) adjustable version. will check back with an update over the weekend.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Balance?

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

bank balance?
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

so here's the new version in 1.2mm steel, locked at 0° advance. will see how that plays out once installed and go from there. skipped the adjustability for now, it's too easy to just make a new plate.

this really should have been posted in the thread i started for my 2007cc and distributor alternatives. i'll add this last post and any updates to that thread.

tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Looks really clean. don't forget to continue to ground the points plate and you still need to lubricate the felt through the oiling hole near the cam.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Locked Bosch ZV/PAU 4R5 Reply with quote

Looks good but you will need to make sure the holes are exactly sized to the pins. If there is even a little movement it could potentially bounce around the timing.

I'd put a screw in the side as well or find a smaller spring that would put some compression on the two posts. You don't want them moving at all.

You could also glue the points plate to the bushing (the outside only). You don't want that points plate rotating on it at all.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: