Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

The deck lid now clears the bumper.

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Engine is just about ready to be stabbed in. I bet it’s in tomorrow and running on Friday. The VS GT tips haven’t even shipped yet, so I’ll be using stock ones untill I get them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1700 lbs clutch, OG balanced fan

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Battery is in, new positive and negative cables are in. Starter is in and hooked up to the battery. Engine is in!!! Since its Christmas, it’ll sit till next week. I went to the DMV and got all the information and paperwork I need to get a vin inspection and apply for a title. Things are still moving along.

It’s not the best pic, but it’s a pic

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Great thread! Cant wait to see it running with the new engine!

64 - Next project
66 - Maintaining
---
73 Super (sold)
63, 66, 73 Super (history)
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

It’s Alive!!!!!

What a great day! I ended up getting the day off of work, got new tires on Wifeys Rogue and went to the VW shop. When I got there he was finishing up the wiring in the engine bay. I got busy installing new Hella H4 headlights and switching out all the other bulbs. That’s really about all I did, besides bullshit with him a lot. Once he completed the wiring, we hooked up the battery and turned the key. To our surprise the oil and generator lights both lit up. Then I put gas in it and the gauge also worked. Woot woot. We allowed some gas to run through the metal line, which was good cause come rust flakes came out. Then we hooked up the fuel line, primed the carbs and went for it. The roared to life on the first turn of the key! We are using a used cam, so cam break in wasn’t required. After starting it, it took a few revs to get the bowls full and it went right to idle. Which is awesome, considering the carbs weren’t synced yet and the carbs have been sitting in a box since 2013. We took it off Jack stands and I took it for a drive. This was the first time this vehicle has driven in 25 years. We were concerned about the transaxle and were very happy to find that it worked perfectly. It got all the gears, shifted smooth, felt tight and didn’t pop out of gear. The brake lights even worked. My VS GT tail pipes haven’t showed up yet, so we started it with no pipes. It’s a little loud, but I think the tail pipes will quite it down just enough to sound mean. I didn't touch the rear torsion bars and was happy to see the way it sat after the drive. The front end felt smooth, it drove straight and didn’t pull when I stepped on the brakes. The wheel is a little off center, I’m sure I’ll get an alignment for it after I get plates for it. The clutch was a little high and need to be adjusted. Needless to say it was a great day!

I’m all smiles!

Engine looks amazing!

I’m loving the patina and those H4 headlights.

Working idiot lights and fuel gauge.

After the drive, stance looks good!

Some videos on the start up and first drive.

First start up!

Link

Idle after first start

Link

First drive, the speedo works!!!

Link

Going through the gears on the first drive. This car is gonna move,

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Very cool! Congrats! Applause Applause
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

We have turn signals!!! That sucked, but after several disassemblies the turn signal switch works. All lights are working and things are good. Finally took the wiper assembly out of the box and it’s trashed. Think I’m gonna use the stock assembly with the 12v motor. The VS GT tail pipes showed to today, stoked on that! Hoping to get plates and a title in the next few weeks, woot woot!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Sounds great!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

It’s done! We’ll, it’s just about done at the shop. I’m gonna go on Saturday morning to install the new windshield and then tow it home. Then I’ll install the interior and get it inspected by the Troopers for a title.

A nut was welded in on the b-pilled for retractable seat belts, which are installed. Rear lap belts and installed. The VS GT tail pipes really quited down the exhaust. I drove it again today, it felt and sounded excellent! Can’t wait to drive it more!

Some pics of the seatbelts, the car and a video of it running.

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Stopped by that shop today, I always love popping in there. He said he drove the car for a bit today, got the carbs all dialed in and it was running and idling well. Although I replaced the throttle bodies and manifolds back in 2013 these carbs are at least 30 years old. He was also stoked that the door light switches still worked as well as the dome light.

In the morning I’m going to get the bill of sale paperwork notarized and I made my appointment for the vin inspection with the State Troopers on the 20th. Now I just need to get insurance before I go.

When I was at the shop he moved on to the heat exchangers for my bus. During our Cali trip the bus started to get an exhaust leak. When I got home and took it apart there were several small holes on the j-tube where the donuts attach. These are OG exchangers and have had many a birthday. Took a month to get flanges from VS and he’s welding those on for me. Looks like I’m gonna have both of my VWs going at the same time, woot!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Great day!!! This morning my son and I headed to the VW shop to pick up the car. There was a few items to attend to when we got there. We cut out and installed a new windshield, installed new wiper arms, blades and a new horn. The. We hooked up a tow bar and we towed it home. The drive home was about 20 miles on the highway. I kept it under 50 and didn’t have any issues. Once I got it home, I pulled off the tow bar and parked it in the driveway, then worked on my bus for a bit. He had the flanges welded on my exchangers, so when I got home I reinstalled then and the exhaust. Hopefully tomorrow after skiing I’ll finish that up, it got to cold to finish today.

No windshield

All hooked up

At home with the bus

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Took the car for a drive in the neighborhood tonight. Holy shit it’s a beast! Can’t wait to get it out on the open road.

Here it is at idle

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Nice progress!

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Not much happening over the last week, just work. But, this week I’m on vacation. Dancing

Today my son and I took our ‘71 Westy up to the ski resort this morning and skied for a few hours. The bus killed it and when we got back I worked on the bug for a little bit. I have a bunch of stuff I want/need to get done before I take it for the vin inspection on Thursday.

Things I want to get done this week:
Finish the trunk
Install new trunk seal
Install new door seals
Sound deaden the interior
Install the new flooring
Install headlight seals
Paint the headlight buckets
Install blinker seals
Install tail light seals
Install the seats
Install the new door cards
Undercoat
Install ski rack
Clean the windows
Coat with Patina Sauce
Get vin inspection
Take it skiing on Friday

Now that I type it all out, sounds like I got to get busy!

I did get the trunk finished this afternoon and I removed the old trunk seal. So I can cross that off the list. Looks pretty go to me, but this is my first bug.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zorba2.0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Great looking build! Sounds perfect too
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Got a few hours in on the Bug today. That’s all the time I had after getting my third jab, going to the pool with my son and my weekly trip to the market. Ended up skiing just about the whole day yesterday, so I didn’t do anything on the bug.

I asked my son if he wanted to help, he said yes and he wanted to do the door cards. So, that’s what we did. I cleaned the door handles, installed a vapor barrier, installed all new door panel clip seals and clips. I was able to get the arm rest and all the handles back on. I wish I ordered a new black arm rest, but I didn’t think of it and the original one will do just fine. I think it looks pretty good. These are TMI panels I got from Jbugs, the black was the cheapest.

I also primed and undercoated the pans.

Some pics

And one of my son and I with our ‘71 Westy from the ski resort yesterday

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Holy shit did that booster shot eff me up! I didn’t have any reaction the the first two shots, it I certainly did to this one. My Energy was super low today and doing anything was is a chore. I did manage to get the rear cards installed, got the sound deadening installed, as well as the floor padding, rubber mat and all the seats. That’s about all I had in me today, I’m gonna spend the rest of the day in my recliner.

Tomorrow I’m going to the DMV to purchase a 24 hr plate, so I can take it on Thursday morning to the State Trooper Barracks for the vin inspection. Then I’ll stop by UPS and pick up the Patina sauce I ordered. After that I’m hoping to get the rest of my list done before my eye appointment at 2:30. Not sure how far I’ll get, I’m thinking I’ll take it for a car wash after my eye appointment and put on the Patina Sauce. I might wait till Thursday to do the door seals, as I’m sure they’ll take the longest.

Some pics:

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Are those OG floor mats or repop's? If the later how is the fit for you?

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

They are repops from Jbugs. They seem to fit just fine, I did have to cut out the holes for the seat belts, ebrake assembly and the shifter. I put the padding underneath it, also from Jbugs.

I got temp tags today!!!!!! Dancing

The lady at the DMV said the tag was good until tomorrow, so I’m legal to drive it today, woot woot! I’m gonna go install some more new stuff now, then take it for a car wash and put the Patina Sauce on it. Holla!!!

Tomorrow I go to the Trooper Barracks to get the vin inspection and then back to the DMV to purchase a 60 day temp tag.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

what did you use for sound deadener? Looks great
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 18

Jump to: