Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

What worked for me on the front beam's stuck lower shock bushings was to heat them cherry red with a butane torch, clamp the vise grip over the bushing, then lever it off. The heat will expand the bushing to help break the rust bond. You can also give a shot of rust spray but that will instantly evaporate.

Will you paint your wheels 2-tone like they were originally in '65? Black centers with ivory outers? Easy to do with a mask made of several thin plastic "For Sale" signs taped together, then inserted firmly into the deep groove between the inner and outer portions of the rim. I experimented with that method last summer on a '68 Beetle 2-tone rim; worked well. You can even keep the mask in place for both colors, and start with the black paint for the centers. When you have 2 thin to medium coats applied, let the paint mist rise up out of the mask/flash off, then place a piece of cardboard over the mask to cover the fresh black paint. Next, spray on the ivory. The cardboard on top will prevent the ivory paint mist from settling down onto the black. Let everything dry for 1/2 hr then lift the mask straight up/outward so that the bottom edges don't touch the ivory paint. Let everything dry for a few days, or at least overnight before you take the wheels for the tire change.

At least a few of your engine tin screws will inevitably be rusted stuck. Two things have worked for me to loosen them: Find a sturdy screwdriver that has the metal shank going all the way through the handle. Place the screwdriver head into the screw head slot, and give the metal shank at the handle a good smack with a hammer. This motion sends a shock down through the threads. Or if you have an impact driver, use that. Now apply heat to the screw head with the torch tip. The heat will travel down the screw and cause expansion to help break the rust bond. Try loosening the screw while still very hot with that screwdriver. If it does not budge, grip the head with the vise grips holding it sideways. The screw will "usually" break loose. Then you can spray a shot of rust fluid under the head, and use the screwdriver to fully loosen it. Make sure your toes are out of the way when the screw comes fully out... it'll still be very hot.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Rome, I’m not planning on doing a 2 tone paint job on the rims. Although I do like your technique and maybe the idea will grow on me. I’m thinking the patina is busy enough and I’m gonna go with a solid color for now. It’s only paint and I can always change it at any time. Besides, I’m good at doing jobs twice. Wink It is nice to know what color they are supposed to be, so thanks for that info!

As far as the tin screws go, there is not engine so that’s not a problem. All the dual port tin I got for the build is all apart already. You’re technique with the screw driver is interesting. I usually grab the head of the screw with a vice grips and unscrew it that way if it’s being a PITA.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Fair enough with the wheel color.

If you want a resource for seeing what was factory original on a '65, here's an excellent source. This remarkable, 8000 mile Beetle was documented by Classic VW Bugs which is a restoration shop right here in the same county where I live in southern New York. I saw this Beetle in person back in 2013 which was a real treat. I realize your motivation on your '65 is to get it presentable and functional so that you can drive it. Parts from many years before and after '65 will work. But at least seeing a detail on what was correct will help you decide if something close can work for you for now. http://www.classicvwbugs.com/65rubyoriginal/
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
I realize your motivation on your '65 is to get it presentable and functional so that you can drive it.

Totally, this isn’t going to be a show car. It’s gonna be a car you’ll see in the parking lot of the ski resort.

I’m not going to give this car the treatment I gave my bus. I totally went through my bus, sourcing correct color parts as well as cleaning and painting everything. I see this car being a nice runner, but by no means a show car.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Rich I might have a few 65' parts available if you need them.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Rich I might have a few 65' parts available if you need them.

Thanks! I’m headed back to the VW graveyard tomorrow afternoon to get a few items. If I run across something I need I’ll let you know.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Good afternoon with the bug. Tomorrow Samba member, Mtnbus and I are headed back to the VW graveyard then over to the engine builders shop. We both have a list of parts we are looking for at the graveyard. He got a long block to pick up from the engine builder and I’m gonna drop off my engine tin, heat exchangers and exhaust. Since that’s tomorrow’s plan, I worked on all that stuff today. I got 3 coats of paint on the wheels. I wire wheeled, primed and painted the tin, exchangers and the exhaust. Painting goes fast when it’s 93* and 0% humidity out. In between coats I worked on taking the drums off. I soaked the star washers in PB Blaster last night and that did help. I was able to get all the stars to move and successfully got the drums off.

Looks like my tires are getting a tour of the southwest via FedEx. They are already 2 days late, I guess they’ll show up eventually.

Some pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These heat exchangers are cherry

This exhaust is super nice too

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Great day at the local graveyard! Mtnbus drove us in his ‘59 singlecab and if that wasn’t enough we got the major hook up. We both got a lot of the parts we were looking for and left very happy. Then we went to the engine shop. Where Mtnbus picked up a completed long block and I picked up a bunch of parts I ordered. I also dropped off and the tin I’ve been cleaning up.

Sounds like my 2109 will be around 8.75:1 compression, holla!!!

Looks like I better get the car ready to back to the shop before he has my engine done.

My tires have finished their tour of the southwest, the final two were delivered today.

The Slowwood ‘59 single cab is tight!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Got a few more hours in with the bug today. I decided to start at the rear and work my was forward. I removed the rear soft lines and disassembled the rear drum brakes. Then I wire wheeled everything, primed and painted the whole area. The drivers side was disgusting, oil caked dirt everywhere. So I decided to take off the backing plate so I could properly clean it, that’s when I discovered the broken ball separator. So, it looks like new rear bearings as well now. Hoping to pick them up tomorrow, if not I’ll just switch to the front and finish the rear when I get them.

Passenger side. I cleaned, primed and painted. I was hoping to get the drum back together, but that will have to wait until I get the new rear bearings.

Rear drums

Broken rear bearing

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Dirty day with the bus. First I cut out the old and installed new swing axle boots. Then I started on the front brakes. I got both sides totally disassembled, races removed, everything cleaned, primed and painted. Seems like I didn’t do much, but it took hours.

I used FEBI boots

Check out that clutch cable…

Pic of the front

Tomorrow’s another day.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2216113.jpg
The boot seam should be clocked at 10 or 2 to prevent leaking.

That clutch cable is special. There's more money and time. In the hook and nut setup. Than just replacing the cable with a new one.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

The boot seam should be clocked at 10 or 2 to prevent peaking.

I appreciate the feedback, but this is how I was told to do it by my builder. I also ran a bead of black silicone in the seam like he told me too. I’ll bring this up, but my money is it’ll be fine, just like everything else is he gives me advice on.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

The boot seam should be clocked at 10 or 2 to prevent peaking.

I appreciate the feedback, but this is how I was told to do it by my builder. I also ran a bead of black silicone in the seam like he told me too. I’ll bring this up, but my money is it’ll be fine, just like everything else is he gives me advice on.

Verify he wanted you to point it forward and not toward the rear.

Vertical like you have is the stock method but pointed toward the rear of the car.

Best factory manual photo I could find quickly:

And damn, that clutch cable is wrecked!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Vertical like you have is the stock method but pointed toward the rear of the car.

Thanks for the pic Everett, I did ask him that question. He says he runs them toward the front b/c he likes the way they look that way. 🤷‍♂️ I sent him that pic and his first question was if I used silicone in the seam, then he told me to flip the hose clamps so they were accessible from the bottom. I don’t even know it this transaxle works. With the huge holes in the OG boots it could have been run out of oil. It does shift nice, but we all know that means nothing when the car is not running. If it’s bad, I’m gonna try to go with a later one like Rome suggested.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Spent 3 hours working on the bug today. Early this morning I dropped off my rims and tires to be mounted and balanced at my LTS. Still wish I could have bought the tires from them, they are good guys and totally understand. After that I came home and got busy. I removed the old master cylinder and reservoir. I took the lines off the reservoir and reinstalled it, although I won’t be using it. Then I pulled the gas tank. First I removed the float and got that moving freely again. Then I pulled the Spicket and sock, wire wheeled the tank and cleaned the spicket. Believe it or not the sock is in excellent condition. The inside of the tank didn’t look too bad, so I put a few aluminum pieces in there with some acetone and shook it around for a bit. Then I let it sit some and repeated the process a few more times. Tank looks great now! While the tank was sitting I wire wheeled and painted the area the tank sits and the area underneath it. Which I then primed and painted. When that was done I installed a new steering dampener. Then I decided to conquer the old shock sleeves that were suck on both the lower stud and the upper bolt. I tried heating it first and using the vice grips to turn it, that didn’t work. Then I tried the air chisel. The chisel worked like a charm on 3 of the 4, it I ended up cutting the fourth sleeve off with the cutting wheel. That was my day, doesn’t seem like much, if it was something. Tomorrow I’m hoping to pick up my tires, install the master cylinder, get the front brake hardware cleaned and the brakes reinstalled. As well as new shocks on the front and I’ll probably paint the gas tank.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Did you drop the spacers into the Napoleon hat when you removed the master?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Did you drop the spacers into the Napoleon hat when you removed the master?

I hope not, I’ll check later when I get home. My guess is if that happened they are not retrievable and will be rolling around in there for eternity.

With my luck they fell. If they didn’t fall when I pulled the bolts out, they probably definitely fell when I was using the pneumatic chisel on the shock sleeves.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I got lucky there. When I got home I grabbed the flashlight and went to see if I lost the sleeves. I was shocked to see they were still there, but they had both fallen a bit. So I grabbed 2 screwdrivers and slid them through the sleeves till tomorrow. Phew…
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I got lucky there. When I got home I grabbed the flashlight and went to see if I lost the sleeves. I was shocked to see they were still there, but they had both fallen a bit. So I grabbed 2 screwdrivers and slid them through the sleeves till tomorrow. Phew…

Lucky.day! Most people don't realize they are in there untill they hear something fall out. I have see people install masters without them and the bulkhead starts to crush.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Actually you mean horizontal.

You'll look good in this car!

You may find that that's more engine than you need. Will you be upgrading the brakes to haul the thing down from speed?

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: