Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

What's the story with the mirror? Does it have a nite setting like modern mirrors?

One thing I do dislike about driving my bug at night, is the ridiculous bright lights of modern cars, or even worse, the aftermarket blueish lights..
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

^Yes, it has a night setting like modern cars. Here’s the link.

https://socalautoparts.com/product/rearview-mirror-bug-day-night-chrome-65-67/

Got the crazy eights on the commute to work this morning.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Cool thanks. Didn't know they made them like that. I'll probably pick one up. My mirror is separating a bit any way.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

So, we’ve gotten 8’ of snow so far this winter and The Monster has been buried in snow. Last weekend I dug out the car, moved it and ran the snow thrower for several hours making more room in the driveway for all the cars. I was stoked to see the car had a full tank of fuel, but it desperately needed an oil change. I ended up driving it all week, it was nice to be back in it. It always makes me smile when I rowing the gears.

Today I changed the oil and oil filter. I used Castrol 20/50 Classic and a 3” STP filter. I adjusted the valves, they were pretty much perfect. I topped off the transaxle oil. It’s original to the car, I don’t think it’s ever been removed and it leaks a little. Then I adjusted the brakes. Basic 3000 miles service stuff. I did have to do all the work in the snow and ice, which added an extra element.

That mound of snow is The Monster

Working in the snow

My new coveralls I got at Buses By the Bridge in Lake Havasu

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Took The Monster to the mountain today. Car crushed the drive, even hit 80 passing newer cars on the climb.

Samba member MTBbus hooked me up with a snowboard for the rest of the season, because mine got stolen on NYE. It’s a super sweet Never Summer with custom VW graphics. The board is basically brand new and amazing to ride.

Big shouts to MTNbus for the hook up. He has changed my entire season, I feel like I’m back in the game with this board! Thanks homie!!!!!

This car definitely lives up to its name!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Sweet bug and snowboard! The patina on it is amazing, and great to see it getting out to the slopes! If only all the snow here hadn’t melted I’d be out skiing more this season Sad
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mykidsbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Updates?
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

look at Hovland snow skates for the boy.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

mykidsbug wrote:
Updates?

What kind of updates would you like. I’m still driving the car on a regular basis, it crushes! I ordered and received new rear tires, I’ll have them mounted next Monday when I’m on vacation. The rear toe is off and the tires didn’t last that long, at least they are cheap. I have no plans to do anything but drive the car for the foreseeable future. I have to register it this month, pretty cool that I’ve been driving it for a year already. I’m gonna apply for vanity plates this year, it’s taken me a hot minute to come up with something to put on them.

We are taking our ‘71 Westy to Sedona during spring break. We won’t be camping in it, but it’ll be a fun 5 hr road trip in the bus. It has a 2275cc and also crushes!

Just been living ACVWs, nothing special.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Got new tires installed on the rear of the car.

Took it to the Ski resort again today. The roads were dry and empty. Zoom zoom!!!

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Easter Sunder in The Monsta.

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

’65 Deluxe Build
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Beautiful pic Rich.

Nice to see that you are enjoying your Monster year round.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

I’ve been working on the car a bit. I installed new tie rods and got an alignment. Sure is a lot tighter now. I changed the oil (20/50 w/Zink additive), new oil filter, checked the valves (all were perfect), tightened the belt, topped off the transaxle, adjusted the rear torsion and installed new bushings, installed a new/used passenger sun visor, installed a vintage Barracrafters ski rack, washed it, coated it in Sweet Patina and installed a new Vintage Speed Super Flow 57/35 exhaust I picked up used for $200. Dancing I’m also waiting on a VS standoff to show up.

If I was buying a new VS I would have purchased the Sport model. Which would be fine for my engine and quieter. But for $200 I’ll take what I can get. It is 5 db quieter at WOT and 10 db quited at cruising speed then the set up I was running.

Next up for the car is a transaxle rebuilt, it currently leaks like a sieve. Gonna go with a KEP stage 1 clutch, currently I have a Chinese Stage 1 clutch. It’s ok but I know how much better a KEP is cause I have one in my bus. Gonna go with a VS 12” quick shifter. I’m also gonna put carb windows in, so the carbs can be tuned better.

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

My VS stand off showed up today. Will be interesting to see if there is any change in temperature and if I get exhaust fumes coming in thru the heat exchangers.

If it sucks, I’ll sell it in Havasu at BBB.

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

With the stand off the engine was 30° cooler after the 65 mph, 5 mile, 1000’ climb home this afternoon. As long as I don’t get fumes coming into the cabin with the heat on, this could be a win.

I was getting a pulsating brake pedal. I narrowed it down to the drivers rear brake. I pulled the drum, inspected everything, hit the drum and shoes with some sand paper. Reinstalled the drum, torqued the caster nut and readjusted the shoes. All is good now! I think I adjusted the shoes before I torqued the caster nut last time.

I’m feeling motivated to improve the car these days. Stoked on that feeling!

I also put another nut, as a jam nut, on the 2/4 exhaust studs because they kept on loosening on me.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

The stand off was a win and a fail at the same time, as I suspected. Definitely offers more cooling air but it sucks exhaust fumes in. Which make it to the cabin when the exchangers are opened. 🤷‍♂️

I removed it for now. I’ll probably install it again in the summer when I’m not using the heat. Good thing it was inexpensive, which is why I gave it a shot to begin with.
’65 Deluxe Build
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Quote:
I also put another nut, as a jam nut, on the 2/4 exhaust studs because they kept on loosening on me.

Do you have lockwashers under each of those exhaust stud nuts? Either a factory-style "wavy" washer or a split style? If so, you should not need a jam nut.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Quote:

Do you have lockwashers under each of those exhaust stud nuts? Either a factory-style "wavy" washer or a split style? If so, you should not need a jam nut.

I guess I was unaware that there should be a washer there, never had a VW with one there. I’ve always just used a jam nut, even have my bus set up that way. No biggie, it’s not hurting anything and it getting the job done.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘65 Deluxe, The Monster Reply with quote

Shredder P and I picked up our season ski passes this morning, he was super stoked! Opening day is 3 weeks away!

Shredder P!

’65 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 18

Jump to: