Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
Find out from local Ford dealerships if they can still buy new short/long blocks, or if they have a recommended rebuilder.

I emailed Bostig about this with the same concerns: How can you get a low-mileage engine bolted up 2000-2004? If it sits for long periods will it internally corrode? Should I get a remanufactured engine?

Jim Akiba (Bostig) replied he trusts an old factory engine more than a rebuild, the factory processes were sophisticated and well-controlled. I do not get the impression many customers have opted for a remanufactured engine.

I believe him that his success rate is good, but that is hard to quantify. If a junkyard engine lasts 40,000 miles is that success? Arguably yes, arguably no.

I think the reality is that one old Zetec might be great and last 100K miles, and the next an abused stinker, and you won't know for sure until after you put it in.

So a 'tax' on the Bostig approach is that you won't really know how good an engine you have for a long time, and in the worst case you may need to swap engines right away. At the same times they aren't that expensive, although I don't know the labor that would go into a swap.

See TopBud above "This is my 2nd ZETEC. My first one was crap only running on 3 cylinders. That caused me lots of headaches. I was chasing high temp problems and was frustrated by the loss of power." He is happy now, but he had to swap in a second engine when the first was a dud.

Finally, the low-mile engines aren't $200! The best engine I found on Car-Parts was $1000 from the junkyard. The $500ish options had way more miles, or unlisted miles. And nothing anywhere near me under 180,000 miles, all the lower miles engines would need to be shipped. They made a zillion Zetec engines, but no surprise that 20 years later low mile examples are getting scarce.

Bostig has an engine inspection procedure. From Jim's email "It's very rare (less than 1% chance) that you get a showstopper issue on a salvage zetec. You really only need to check crank endplay and look into the intake and exhaust ports for valve condition, and pull the cam cover. Takes about 10 minutes. There are videos on engine inspection and prep in the support section that were posted last year."

Personally, If I go Bostig I will look into how much trouble to do a deeper inspection before I put in the time installing a particular engine.

Unless they re really easy to swap, anyone know?
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

Howdy,

One of the selling points for me with the Bostig conversion was how cheap the engines were and how easy they are to remove and install. These two factors are still relevant in 2022, and are what make the Bostig system valuable above other conversions--the risk of expense and time in the event of catastrophic failure is mitigated by the choice of engine.

My junkyard in southeast Austin always has at least five 00-04 Focus cars sitting around with usable engines. Those engines will have 80k to 150k miles on them and will sell for $200 without accessories according to their price list.

I got mine down in Lockhart (one hour south of Austin) back in 2013 from a junkyard that had a small warehouse full of Zetecs already pulled from the cars. They all had problems, and mine had been in a front end collision, as evidenced by power steering pulley damage. I was able to swap some parts around in the junkyard and come out with a good 2001 Ford Focus engine with 30k miles for $300.

I've put 100,000 miles on that engine in eight years. Most of the miles have been 75 MPH freeway miles at 5200 RPM, or lots of climbing in the mountain west.

I don't really worry about this engine because I know I can find a replacement easily and I can get the engine and cradle assembly out in about two hours. In other words, a blown engine would cost me about $250 and about six hours of my own labor. Not bad.

I can't think of any other conversion that has such a low time/expense risk profile. Certainly not Subaru or any of the VW inline conversions--their engines alone are in the thousands, and removing/installing them is harder due to engine bay crowding. The Bostig system mitigates risk of future repair far better than any other conversion. That conclusion is based on engine prices and engine swap procedures.

I just got a new tune for my Bostig. My decision to go with this conversion was validated by the experience of working with Jim on the tune over a period of ten days--getting the new tune file from Jim, flashing it onto the ECU, test driving with datalogging, sending the results back to Jim, and waiting for the next tune file. I'm getting value in 2022 well beyond my purchase in 2013.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

Although I had a bad 1st engine, I tried to trouble shoot and solve the issue when I should have just swapped the engine. This engine has been trouble free. There are lots of detects available. Some in cars and some not. I find it’s pretty easy to swap out the engines and just replace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I got mine down in Lockhart (one hour south of Austin) back in 2013 from a junkyard that had a small warehouse full of Zetecs already pulled from the cars. They all had problems, and mine had been in a front end collision, as evidenced by power steering pulley damage. I was able to swap some parts around in the junkyard and come out with a good 2001 Ford Focus engine with 30k miles for $300...

I don't really worry about this engine because I know I can find a replacement easily and I can get the engine and cradle assembly out in about two hours. In other words, a blown engine would cost me about $250 and about six hours of my own labor. kourt

I think the point of this thread is that 2000-2004 low mileage engines would not be hard to find 10 years after manufacture, but twenty? That is the question. For me there won't be any going to the junkyard to pick parts off of various engines, according to car-parts.com the closest engine with under 80K miles is 2000 miles away. I would be buying an engine and shipping it here and hoping for the best. And not $250, $1000 plus S&H. $1000 + S&H is still not bad for a good engine, but drive a few miles and pay $300? Those days are over.

Is six hours of labor realistic for a Zetec engine swap?

And
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

I can't think of any other conversion that has such a low time/expense risk profile. Certainly not Subaru or any of the VW inline conversions--their engines alone are in the thousands, and removing/installing them is harder due to engine bay crowding.

eeehhhh....

i can buy 500.00 mystery subaru engines all day long, so that argument is out. i can also build a new suabru (short block) engine have the heads done to the 9's and have basically a new turn key engine for 35-3800.00 with more HP than a bostig

removal?

drop exhaust, 4 coolant hoses, throttle cable, and undo the 2 big connectors shown here:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

with the shortened oil pan installed you can literally pull it with a cheap trolly jack like an aircooled bug/bus. it literally balances itself

not knocking bostig. i have driven exactly 1. personally, i expected more.

i personally have been bitten way too many times from the junkyard when it comes to engines/transmissions so i don't go that route. many times these engines are not stored very well, not always...but most of the time.

and fwiw, have you seen your average focus owner? these cars were throwaway when new. i am willing to bet their owners bought more air freshener's than oil changes

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

15-20 yr donors are in the twilight years of availability.
when it's 20-25 they're gone..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

[quote="skills@eurocarsplus"]
kourt wrote:

i can buy 500.00 mystery subaru engines all day long, so that argument is out. i can also build a new suabru (short block) engine have the heads done to the 9's and have basically a new turn key engine for 35-3800.00 with more HP than a bostig

Of course Zetec also can be rebuilt. It is interesting that Bostig goes for used engines and Subaru conversion tend to go remanufactured. Are junkyard Zetecs more reliable than junkyard Subarus? Subaru engines seem to have corrosion issues similar to waterboxers, maybe that makes used engines riskier.

True about the HP, but that is just one entry on a long list of pros and cons Subaru vs. Bostig.

To me the biggest Bostig advantage is Bostig itself. They have a complete engineered solution, and they support it for DIY. Subaru conversion come in all sorts of flavors and require a lot more research and considerations of various options. For me all those flavors and options mean more opportunity top make expensive mistakes.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

tomtom50 wrote:

Of course Zetec also can be rebuilt. It is interesting that Bostig goes for used engines and Subaru conversion tend to go remanufactured..

no, i mean a literal zero mile engine (and rebuilt heads. new are available, but come bare) i don't think you can get a new zetec. and i would agree with bostig, many rebuilds are done by mass rebuilders and the quality is lacking

i think many go for new because it's like stealing in a way. my cost on a short block is 1,800. with a pair of "top shelf" air cooled or wbx heads at or above 1k...it seems like a pretty good deal at that point, doesn't it?

tomtom50 wrote:

To me the biggest Bostig advantage is Bostig itself. They have a complete engineered solution, and they support it for DIY

that i will give you...sort of. a few vendors have full soup to nuts conversion kits for subaru. what tends to happen is people cherry pick component A from vendor B, then this from vendor A, and that from vendor C

Quote:
15-20 yr donors are in the twilight years of availability.
when it's 20-25 they're gone.

and that would be true of any platform really. i mean just look how long in the tooth even a 1.8t is at this point.

what is the newest zetec? the base (short block) subaru was produced up to 2015-16 in the USA, possibly longer in other markets (really not sure to be honest)

i don't care what powers any car, as long as it's out making memories is the big thing. i am just trying to debunk any subaru shit. they are good engines and reasonably cheap....cheaper than a wbx rebuild any day of the week

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that i will give you...sort of. a few vendors have full soup to nuts conversion kits for subaru.

Really? When I looked at Subaru conversions it was not really clear what you need, and there were lots of options without explanation of what is important and why. Anyone you recommend I look at?

I get the impression a Subaru conversion can be very good, but requires deep knowledge and experience on the part of the installer. I imagine that works out for good mechanics who do enough conversions to get it all sorted out, but risky for those, DIY or mechanics, who are on the learning curve.

It seems to me both approaches have risks. With Zetec the risk of a dud engine, with Subaru the risk of a bad decision among the many that need to be made.

I doubt the difference is Zetec vs. Subaru engine. Both engines are from good manufacturers, and both are modern, although not new. My guess is that the folks who like Bostig would like Bostig had they chosen a different engine; a firm with significant engineering ability that put care into an integrated approach and close customer support, and that tracks and archives revisions over many years.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

tomtom50 wrote:
that i will give you...sort of. a few vendors have full soup to nuts conversion kits for subaru.

Really? When I looked at Subaru conversions it was not really clear what you need, and there were lots of options without explanation of what is important and why. Anyone you recommend I look at?

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/subaru-vanagon-conver...sion-kits/

https://vancafe.com/subaru-vanagon-4-cyl-conversion-diy-kit/

https://www.kennedyeng.com/subaru-vanagon

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=694093

no matter what way you go, it would be best to reach out to any/all vendors you have interest in and speak to them before you buy.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

It is worth mentioning that my Bostig conversion does not deliver a significant driving performance advantage over the original Vanagon engine. It's reliable, but not that much more powerful. I think this is obvious from the conversation, but I wanted to clear the air.

kourt
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
It is worth mentioning that my Bostig conversion does not deliver a significant driving performance advantage over the original Vanagon engine. It's reliable, but not that much more powerful. I think this is obvious from the conversation, but I wanted to clear the air.

kourt

That is a lot more power and a much flatter torque curve.

About same as Subaru 2.2.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

these vans need torque, not horsepower.

by that graph, the 2.1 makes 70 some odd hp, but 105 ftlbs torque, proving that they were going after as much torque as possible.

look at some of the land yachts of the 70's... 180 horse but 300 fit lbs of torque which they needed to pull all that fake wood and brocade textiles around town

that said, the zetec is a lot of work for 14 more ftlbs of torque over the stock engine. Kourt's comments support that. but, if you're looking for stock(ish) performance out of a swap i suppose it would work out just fine.

the subaru 2.2 is ok, but no powerhouse either. the 2.5's are 165 horse 166 tq

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

these vans need torque, not horsepower.

Surely you cannot mean this literally. HP is torque times rotational speed. No speed no drive no matter how much torque.

The graph speaks for itself.

Last edited by tomtom50 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Parkker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

Did a Bostig conversion on Syncro Vanagon awhile back, like 2007-2009, around there. I think maybe it was RCG6 IIRC.
The kit is decent and works though I would of course like a bit more power since it is on a heavier Syncro/Adventurewagon high top conversion. The engine runs smoothly but I always feel like it is being given the torture test, even though I rarely drive above 60, the engine gets a pretty hard workout, so I always wonder if it's going to hold up but it has done alright so far with about 10k miles and most people seem to have decent luck with this conversion.
The main thing that bugs me about it is the fact that Bostig has released many upgrades to certain parts of the kit, now included in the standard package. Unfortunately, early adopters who put a lot of trust in this company are penalized by being stuck with earlier generation inferior components. To be fair I think Bostig should sell upgrade parts like this to early adopters for cost, not at the rather high prices they ask for if you want to upgrade an earlier kit you are now stuck with. In other words, you would benefit greatly by not extending your trust to a burgeoning company and let others do so early on, they get penalized and the hold-offs are rewarded.
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

Parkker wrote:
The main thing that bugs me about it is the fact that Bostig has released many upgrades to certain parts of the kit, now included in the standard package. Unfortunately, early adopters who put a lot of trust in this company are penalized by being stuck with earlier generation inferior components. To be fair I think Bostig should sell upgrade parts like this to early adopters for cost, not at the rather high prices they ask for if you want to upgrade an earlier kit you are now stuck with.

I get that. On the one hand it is good they improve things over time, on the other hand I can see how good pricing on the improvements is a fair ask.

Do the improvement matter a lot?

One thing for sure, VW vans thrash engines meant for smaller cars. They are big and heavy and have a lot of air friction. You are pushing the engine pretty hard, 3800 rpm in 4th at 70mph. I had a '70 with a 1600 dual port and that thing wailed at 62.

Newer engines are better for rpm, better balanced and better materials so they can spin faster without developing as high internal forces. In particular DOHC reduces valve train mass which is critical for spinning fast. And water cooling allows way tighter tolerances.

The good news on Zetec is that the Focus handled really well and a whole cottage industry developed to get more power out of the Zetec motor. The Zetec reputation is that it is a strong engine that can take added stress. I can see how it was a good choice for Bostig in 2007. The question asked by this whole thread is whether it remains a good choice today.
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Comments on Zetec Power and Torque Reply with quote

Is Zetec a good match for Vanagon?

In the graph red is Zetec torque, Green Zetec power, gold wasserboxer torque and blue WBX power. These are taken with a chassis dyno on Vanagons with the 2.1 waterboxer and the Bostig conversion, this is torque and power at Vanagon wheels after driveline losses. Taking off from a start Zetec torque is modestly higher, starting on a hill in first should be modestly easier but similar.

The flat Zetec torque curve makes shifting less demanding, it will just keep pulling where the waterboxer falls off around 4000 rpm. In engine speak a flat torque curve means a wide power band and good driveability. It is what engine designers aim for.

The big difference would be felt at freeway speeds and climbing grades (3250 rpm@60 mph and 3800rpm@70 in 4th). Torque is falling off rapidly with the waterboxer and downshifting is not an option, you won't get more power.

With a Zetec you have more torque at 60 and a lot more torque at 70 compared to WBX. Unlike WBX downshifting is an option, you can pull in 3rd from 60 (4700 rpm) to 74 (5800 rpm) all in the power band and well below redline. The 3rd gear pull from 60 to 75 is something completely out of the capability of a stock 2.1 and matches up nicely with where I miss power the most in real world use, along with realistic usability of 3rd up grades without needing to be too fussy on the shifts.

More power is always nice, but based on the torque/HP curve the Zetec is a solid upgrade from stock and well suited to Vanagon needs.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

i would suggest you drive one of each before spending a dime

if you want to play games, a set of reground torque cams are cheap money for the subaru.

i mean honestly, you sound like you've already convinced yourself what way you want to go. who are you trying to convince? us or yourself?

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Schnippzle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

kourt wrote:

I can't think of any other conversion that has such a low time/expense risk profile. Certainly not Subaru or any of the VW inline conversions--their engines alone are in the thousands, and removing/installing them is harder due to engine bay crowding. The Bostig system mitigates risk of future repair far better than any other conversion. That conclusion is based on engine prices and engine swap procedures.

Here in the UK you can get a "low" mileage EJ25 engine with a loom for less than £1000. I'll take that over a Ford engine, but that's personal choice. Add another £1.5k and you can get a 2018 Forester FB25B engine with sub 20k miles (like we've done).
tomtom50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bostig conversion still relevant in 2021 (2022...) ? Reply with quote

if you want to play games, a set of reground torque cams are cheap money for the subaru.

i mean honestly, you sound like you've already convinced yourself what way you want to go. who are you trying to convince? us or yourself?

I was just analyzing a Zetec torque/HP curve. I said nothing against Subaru.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: