Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:59 am    Post subject: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

Looking to upgrade the '90 Syncro with stainless exhaust... What's your favorite? Gowesty vs Vancafe etc.? We are in CA so the CAT is super expensive and hoping to also get a bit more performance out the 2.1L with a $2K investment. Would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

I've had multiple issues with the GoWesty stainless exhaust (although they did cover the cracked headers under warranty), not to mention it's made from some 400 grade stainless instead of 304.

The vintage speed one looks nice, depends what grade of steel the headers are.
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
I've had multiple issues with the GoWesty stainless exhaust (although they did cover the cracked headers under warranty), not to mention it's made from some 400 grade stainless instead of 304.

Thx! I don't believe vintage speed makes one compatible for a Syncro?
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

I have the GoWesty SS exhaust and couldn't be happier with it! My buddy has the VanCafe version and he loves it. The difference between the two as I would surmise them. The GoWesty is "Beef Supreme" and the VanCafe is "Race Car", you can hear that Westy coming long before you see it, lol.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

I have the Remus exhaust available from Bernard Jager in Germany and love it. It as remarkably easy to install and sealed up the first time. I ended up pairing it with the stainless catalytic converter available from a couple of vendors and the GoWesty Muffler and muffler brackets. I needed to notch the muffler brackets and make some spacers to stand them off a bit but it worked out in the end. It's a little louder than stock but puts a smile on my face every morning when I go to drive into work.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

I have the 10cent exhaust and it made a noticable improvement in performance when I installed it. It's a little loud, but pointing the exhaust tip a bit downward helped with that. I was thinking of going with a similar, but larger, muffler when I put my second set on my '90.

Hans
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:

300 Series is very common as a Stainless Steel, there are other Series that are more commonly used for heat related work for auto exhaust parts
I know type 409 has been used in Auto Exhausts for all sorts of parts- Granted, it will not resist surface blemishes like Series 300 will, but it's cheaper from what I remember.
Stainless likes to work harden as well, so cracking can be an issue in many applications.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

GW exhaust for 2 years now, no issues. Slightly louder noise, "throatier" is a description I find accurate. Defintely rusted on the surface. Did not notice any performance improvements (275000 km stock 2.1 auto...).
The thing is: GW offers a lifetime warranty for their exhaust.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

Clip from GW advert on their SS pipes:

Limited Lifetime Warranty: Every stainless exhaust part we offer comes with a limited lifetime warranty. The part is warranted against structural failure for life (for the original purchaser).

Reminds me to have my Daughter order anything with that kind of warranty, as I only have 20 or so years left of wrenching, at best. Its probably moot anyway, since 20 years from now even if I we have 1 Vanagon left, it'll either be a transplant to another gas or diesel, or more likely to an electric drive.

Also, why would their exhaust give better performance than stock? It appears to not be even attempting to be of equal length, or having the collectors arranged to flow together at all. Turbulence is what I see, not streamlining.

I can't find the warranty info on the product page listing for my SS exhaust, but I don't see any corrosion after a couple of winters on limestone roads and salted pavements. I think it was 1 year. though. The rest of the bus.. Not so lucky. I am confidant the system I have will easily handle a few moves to fresher motors, etc. And, it was a good boost in performance above 3200 RPM. Taught me a whole new way to drive my 2.1WBX!
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

I have a vintage speed stainless exhaust system on my 86 syncro. Had the motor rebuilt by a local shop last winter. The owner has one on his syncro doka as well. Not sure how he intalled it, as the one they sell says 2wd only. Anyway it fits nice, tucks up nice and clean. Has a good growl without being loud.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

syncro2x wrote:
I have a vintage speed stainless exhaust system on my 86 syncro. Had the motor rebuilt by a local shop last winter. The owner has one on his syncro doka as well. Not sure how he intalled it, as the one they sell says 2wd only. Anyway it fits nice, tucks up nice and clean. Has a good growl without being loud.

This calls for more details! I've been interested by Vintage Speed for quite some time time now!!!
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

I will shoot Ken an email and ask how he did it. Mine has no catalectic converter.
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

Thx! I'm sure it would be easier to make work without a CAT. Unfortunately, being in CA the CAT is essential and very expensive! The VanCafe full exhaust with CA compliant CAT is $2800!!! Shocked
SoloTheSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
GW exhaust for 2 years now, no issues. Slightly louder noise, "throatier" is a description I find accurate. Defintely rusted on the surface. Did not notice any performance improvements (275000 km stock 2.1 auto...).

Do you have the shorter "sport" version or standard?
syncro2x
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

It is a full sized muffler, sold in a kit for $1495 Canadian. Not even offered in sport.
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

SoloTheSyncro wrote:
Looking to upgrade the '90 Syncro with stainless exhaust... What's your favorite? Gowesty vs Vancafe etc.? We are in CA so the CAT is super expensive and hoping to also get a bit more performance out the 2.1L with a $2K investment. Would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you

For another option, I would check with Collin at Techtonics tuning. He sent me pictures of a nice 4-1 stainless system and it was on a syncro.

Here is one, the other is on their web site
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

- link below for muffler brackets and tailpipe

https://www.techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?ma...q9goe9fj20
Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
SoloTheSyncro wrote:

For another option, I would check with Collin at Techtonics tuning. He sent me pictures of a nice 4-1 stainless system and it was on a syncro.

Here is one, the other is on their web site

- link below for muffler brackets and tailpipe

https://www.techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?ma...q9goe9fj20

That is an interesting pic. Has some notes of Vintage Speed in it... but unfortunately the system is not on their site. Kind of curious about trying to merge all the pipes on the drivers side and achieving equal length tubes.. FWIW.

I run a WBXhaust on my 2.4 high compression engine and have posted previously that is should never be compared to the GW product. The fact that they both say SS should not take away from how different they are. The GW version is based on the stock routing and collectors and while perfectly fine for EVERY wbx.. it's not a "tuned" equal length header. Is one better than the other? Depends on your desired outcome. While the tuned system gets a bit more from my engine.... it's not a turbo.. I wouldn't change it out either way. And while the stock exhaust sounded the best with all of my set-ups but this doesn't sound bad... just different.

J
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

jberger wrote:
Kind of curious about trying to merge all the pipes on the drivers side and achieving equal length tubes.. FWIW.
J

Here is a better look at it.

Digifant ECU with knock sensor and custom
cylinder selective knock control by me
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

DigiMatrix wrote:
jberger wrote:
Kind of curious about trying to merge all the pipes on the drivers side and achieving equal length tubes.. FWIW.
J

Here is a better look at it.

Yup... I saw that.. without tracing the tubing with software.. it's not really possible to make up for the cross chassis run in that layout. Then again, as I age I realize how happy I am to be wrong Wink

J
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless Steel Performance Exhaust upgrade? Reply with quote

SoloTheSyncro wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Do you have the shorter "sport" version or standard?

Standard, with catalytic converter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: