Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

roof top tent - dummy idea
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

indulge my goofiness on this one.

could you permanently attach this to say a full size cargo van and cut the roof so you would have a pop top ?.

i'm thinking something like this.

https://www.campingworld.com/venture-forward-hard-...lsrc=aw.ds

and make the floor of the pop top fold back or somesuch so you can have a bed.

I'm thinking biggest problem is leaks? and perhaps attaching it to the roof.

whip out the naysayers Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

Seems to me like it would work.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

I’m sure anything is possible. My first thoughts would be:

1) Most vans have some sort of curve to the roof, so mounting / sealing could be a challenge.

2) The fibreglass shell of the tent might lose its structural integrity if you cut out a chunk of the base big enough to crawl through.

I’m sure theses issues can be overcome, but I don’t see it being an easy job. It would be interesting to see what you come up with. For whatever it’s worth, personally I would just mount the tent on racks like it is designed, and use an exterior ladder (you’ll probably need to climb up the exterior anyway to unlatch the tent case even if you had an interior access). It means you won’t have any mounting or leakage issues, and your van and tent won’t both be permanently altered if you ever wanted to sell or changed your mind on the mod. But if the modification makes your van more functional and enjoyable for you, then go for it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
I’m sure anything is possible. My first thoughts would be:

1) Most vans have some sort of curve to the roof, so mounting / sealing could be a challenge.

2) The fibreglass shell of the tent might lose its structural integrity if you cut out a chunk of the base big enough to crawl through.

I’m sure theses issues can be overcome, but I don’t see it being an easy job. It would be interesting to see what you come up with. For whatever it’s worth, personally I would just mount the tent on racks like it is designed, and use an exterior ladder (you’ll probably need to climb up the exterior anyway to unlatch the tent case even if you had an interior access). It means you won’t have any mounting or leakage issues, and your van and tent won’t both be permanently altered if you ever wanted to sell or changed your mind on the mod. But if the modification makes your van more functional and enjoyable for you, then go for it!

good thoughts , thanks - sometimes the path of least resistance is best as you point out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

Uhh, with a full size van, why would you want to cut a hole in the roof to graft some barely temporary roof top tent into it?

Do some research, those rooftop tents are known to have leak issues, canvass failure, & other frame/structure issues. Sounds like a great way to piss away lots of money.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

hmm, doing my research here.

these alleged roof top tent leaks, to they occur with it open or closed?

I was thinking the roof top tents would be pretty firmly attached to roof structure ,
curve is roof would be a real problem. have to go check flatness of roof now.

still seems cheaper than having someone put a real pop top on.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

Another thing you might want to consider is that with the value of VW Busses high and on the rise an unmolested tin top just might hold a better future value than one with a great hole whacked in the roof and a makeshift tent that you can no longer get repairs for on top.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Another thing you might want to consider is that with the value of VW Busses high and on the rise an unmolested tin top just might hold a better future value than one with a great hole whacked in the roof and a makeshift tent that you can no longer get repairs for on top.

I get the impression this is a non-VW van the OP is talking about here. But either way, my thought is this- you will potentially devalue both the van and tent by thousands of dollars. Is the ability to access the roof top tent from the inside worth thousands of dollars to you? If the answer is yes, then great, I say go for it. Do what you like and whatever makes the van the most useful and enjoyable for you. But if you’d rather pocket a few thousand extra dollars when / if you plan to ever sell, I’d say don’t cut a hole.

I still think that either way, you’ll need an exterior ladder to climb up the outside to unlatch the tent. So other than being able to wiggle down into the van in the morning without going outside, I personally don’t see a massive advantage to putting in all the time / money / effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

Wouldn’t you be degrading the structural integrity of the van?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Wouldn’t you be degrading the structural integrity of the van?

Depends on the size of the hole and whether or not it's braced.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

I'd Build a rack, so the tent would have a porch, and a ladder to make climbing up easier.
I wouldn't cut up any van, for this project, it's not required, climbing trough degrades the space in the van, and in the tent.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

I'd build a rack with a storage box on it (possibly with folding sides for aerodynamics when not in use), then I'd shovel all the crap that's inside the van into the roof box and sleep in the van. Wink

For similar money to the roof tent you could buy a roof clip from a later Westfalia, graft that into the van roof and enjoy a well made, non leaking upstairs sleep if you wish.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: roof top tent - dummy idea Reply with quote

Where would you park this thing ?

I think you would be asked to move.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: