Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1954
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

hello-

My name is jim. i recently inherited several vws and some parts. i started a forum topic in the beetles section about my 1952. there is a link in my signature.

i also have this guy. ive been calling it Scrappy McWorkbench. its a 54 single cab. originally dove blue. i have a case and some random parts for it. according to legend it was last driving in 1993 (it supposedly had a cab then).

if you owned this thing what would you do with it?

Edit:

im going to keep the thing and im going to rebuild it. i plan to do so using as much original vw material as i can find. im going to get my bug up and running first. i like the idea of keeping it original. i less attracted to the idea of using reproduction parts. i have storage space. i have the time to work and the years to be patient. i can afford the prices (i think).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Jimone on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: jims 1954 Reply with quote

If it were mine, and available room, Id keep it as a workbench, Thanksgiving dinner buffet table, or offer it up see if you can get a worthwhile offer..but keeping it is my choice.
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: jims 1954 Reply with quote

Build it!!! You can get everything it needs now. Just one state over in Missouri is going to be an auction with barndoor parts. Including a single cab roof. You may want to find out about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: jims 1954 Reply with quote

A baywindow front clip would set it off nice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typ914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: jims 1954 Reply with quote

Make it a convertible pick up
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: jims 1954 Reply with quote

EmpiGT wrote:
Build it!!! You can get everything it needs now. Just one state over in Missouri is going to be an auction with barndoor parts. Including a single cab roof. You may want to find out about.

Good advice right there ^^^ You cant beat a single cab especially a barndoor one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: jims 1954 Reply with quote

was waiting for this to pop up since seeing it over on the split forum.

check this out !

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=758305

definitely a project truck, not a salvage vehicle. since it has the full chassis, even a roller, and the inner cargo structure doesnt seem too bad.
They are not making them anymore ! Very Happy

And you can restore it frame off, without having to cut off the (cab) body ! Wink
thats a new one in barndoor history.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: jims 1954 Reply with quote

The perfect marriage Surprised

1964 Chop Top
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Definitely build it! It's almost whole again with one of those cabins and some suitable gates. A barndoor pick up is pretty special.
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: jims 1954 Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
The perfect marriage Surprised

Red clip from this bus?... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/220118.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Artur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
hello-

if you owned this thing what would you do with it?

Try to restore it. Build it back up.
Green Bus
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

the more i look at the truck the more interested i am in acquiring the skills to restore it. idk. big task.

that really is perfect. hopefully i have an opportunity to pick up one of those cabs when they come to auction. i contacted the gentleman who posted about it. fingers crossed.

how would one go about determining prices of parts for such a project? i dont really see anything like a price guide. new reproduction stuff is easy enough to find.

i started poking at the rust on the bed. turns out there is a fair ammount of original blue paint under all the gunk.

otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

In my experience when an early HTF part you really need turns up, you do whatever it takes to get it. Chances are the next one will be that much harder to find and more expensive. You might wait years for another barndoor single cab clip to turn up in your area. They don't grow on trees and its pretty much a fluke that one turned up right when you got the bus, you could almost call it divine intervention.

Remember there are many many differences in a Barndoor upper cab, front windows are a different size, wiper divots, cab peak, no fresh air box, semaphores and dash to name few.
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

otahuhu wrote:
In my experience when an early HTF part you really need turns up, you do whatever it takes to get it. Chances are the next one will be that much harder to find and more expensive. You might wait years for another barndoor single cab clip to turn up in your area. They don't grow on trees and its pretty much a fluke that one turned up right when you got the bus, you could almost call it divine intervention.

Remember there are many many differences in a Barndoor upper cab, front windows are a different size, wiper divots, cab peak, no fresh air box, semaphores and dash to name few.

Well said!

You'll make a big and important step with a suitable ''cab-clip'' if you want to restore your SC. Since the chassis looks pretty solid on the pics, the rest could be doable. I also saw a dashpot holder in one of the first pictures, so you already have that.
That Dove blue on the bed is nice but the metal looks paper thin or perforated for the most part, so has to be replaced I guess. Hopefully the under structure isn't too bad.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

i can appreciate jumping on something when it comes available. im new enough to this hobby that i dont have any idea how many zeroes go after the number and if its a big one or a small one.

the bed is for sure rusted through and will need to be replaced. that is why i picked that spot to practice removal of rust and stuff. cant hurt it right? the structural stuff seems pretty solid. i plant to try moving it soon and will take more pictures at that time.

while sorting through parts i found something that i cant figure out. its a passanger side door handle. part number L-211.501. it has the kdf logo. early bus? war bug? what is this thing?

otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Pretty sure its Split bug. Barndoor is 29. or AL loots of good info here... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180629
And in the splitbus, split bug and oval bugs FAQS If you cant find it there you can search in the forums.

There's bound to be some treasures hiding your Dads parts mountain.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

+2 split beetle pre-50 the kdf cogwheel logo lasted to 1949 on a few of parts.

Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

thanks for pointing me in the right direction there! so far i think thats the first part ive encountered that started with a 2 and didnt go to a bus.

i started cleaning out the cab area in anticipation of trying to move the truck. snapped some pics along the way.

there were a couple boxes of parts in there. lots and lots of original blue. the driver side dogleg area is nonexistent. e-brake handle is just kinda hanging out.

battery area is rotten through. looks nice on the other side.

parts of the underside have some kind of plastic spray coating. it crumbles off easily and reveals shiny original paint.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
parts of the underside have some kind of plastic spray coating. it crumbles off easily and reveals shiny original paint.

Undercoating that's separate over time? I've had that on a couple Buses and it peeled off pretty easily in some cases

Jimone wrote:

Anyone else sit here studying that pics for a while? Very Happy

Anyway, I see what could be the original Aluminum brake fluid reservoir in the lower left.

Jimone wrote:

Weird that the choke and heater knobs are white.
They are usually Black for a Truck
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

That bulkhead, the wheel wells and the remains of the cab floor all look supringly solid to me with lots of original Dove blue. Nice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: