Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1954
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

The dome light, front bumper brackets, and horn button(s) are all from a later non-Barndoor Bus.
Barndoor (up to early '55) have a black Bakelite base
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bumper brackets are straight like a Bug (but different):

Barndoor horn button is larger:

The semaphore switch is the wrong one but will work fine.
Correct one

Yes, Barndoor gas pedals almost always get a hole in them as they are pretty thin.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Anyone fancy guessing what type of white paint that is?
Or does it not matter?

& brush painted, right?
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
The dome light, front bumper brackets, and horn button(s) are all from a later non-Barndoor Bus.
Barndoor (up to early '55) have a black Bakelite base

Bumper brackets are straight like a Bug (but different):

Barndoor horn button is larger:

The semaphore switch is the wrong one but will work fine.
Correct one

Yes, Barndoor gas pedals almost always get a hole in them as they are pretty thin.

thank you for your input everett. its amazing to have someone who owns such a truck helping me. i appreciate it tremendously.

how does the dome light compare to these items listed in the classifieds? they do not have black housings.
like this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2409661
or this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2506258

one of the horn buttons has a part number that starts with 29. i was under the impression that all 29 prefixed parts were barndoor parts. is this not the case?

i was told that the curved bumper brackets were correct. i dont remember who told me that. it was several months ago. ill try and find the source of that misinformation. i have a ton of the straight bumper mounts. how do i tell the bug ones from the barndoor ones?

i also have a variety of this type, which i think are rear bumper mounts. thoughts? (please excuse the poor lightning here. im fighting wiring issues in the garage. my attic has no lights at the moment. im two months into phone tag with an electrician.........)

so far misinformation has been one of the most challenging parts of this project. the things im being told are difficult to verify and frequently inaccurate. its like trying to put together a puzzle thats been mixed up with 15 other puzzles. plus the box pictures are all shit.

are there references other than the spare parts book and the workshop manual that will help me verify these types of things?

thanks again!

happy new year everybody!
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Quote:
its like trying to put together a puzzle thats been mixed up with 15 other puzzles. plus the box pictures are all shit

Laughing
YEP
Plus you’re oblivious that half of your puzzle pieces aren’t even in that pile

ps those rear bumper brackets are wrong
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

I believe the white dome lights above are the same but for another non-VW vehicle.
I have only seen the black bases on Barndoors, for all models.

The Bug vs. Barndoor Bus bumper brackets I believe are a different length but either way the mounting holes are in a different spot.
Unfortunately I don't have one to measure but hopefully some can provide that information.

The horn button piece - Since it's apart, maybe that's a center button from a Barndoor horn button?
The center push piece may be the same size.
29 should be a Barndoor piece but I've never looked at a later one or taken it apart myself.

For reference stuff I'm not sure how to check other than asking or doing Gallery searches.
There is a Barndoor parts book at http://oacdp.com/ that will have some photos and part #s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

Anyone fancy guessing what type of white paint that is?
Or does it not matter?

& brush painted, right?

The NOS ones above are not mine and that is a good question.

Here's one original one in my '55, most of the paint has flaked off over time but the edges look sort of misty, like maybe it was sprayed?

I don't see any overspray or paint on the metal pieces so I always though it was painted white before all of the parts were riveted onto it
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Found this for the front, Bug vs. Barndoor Bus
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=72210

Barndoor bracket is approx. 12.5" long at its longest point

Barndoor and ribbed bumper rear brackets through 1958:

I didn't go back through the thread so:
What month is your Barndoor truck?
It may not even have had a rear bumper originally.
If there are no holes to mount the brackets out back, it didn't have a bumper.
Trucks got a rear bumper at VIN# 20-079856
(Near the end of March, 1954)
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

20-106146, Nov 54
So with rear bumper

Front brackets - forward holes are offset on a BD too
Htf originals…
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2512876
Brian’s repros really are top notch…
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2498832

Quote:
semaphores. smooth swfs. i havent taken the time to learn if they are correct yet, but i only have 2 sets and the other one is correct for the bug so this one goes with the truck for now.

Those look right. Black smooth arms, orange lens.
What is the part number on the spine?

For 54/55 SWFs, I understand the part number should be either:
111 953 021B, or
AL 143.001.1

I have 111 953 021B for my Feb 55.

Just read the whole thread this morning. Top piece on your dad, and wise words on the importance of provenance etc. I’d be tracking down a period photo from the painting company. And gotta get hold of a cab!

EB, thank you for the reply on the domelights.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
oh man.. i remember being blown away by those freaky Barndoor trailing arms and redux boxes!

the last time i touched an air cooled vw before this year was my dads '68 camper in the late 90s or maybe early 2000's. from my perspective this is how they are supposed to look Laughing

RockStock wrote:

more ignorant than oblivious. i know im a novice. i didnt know "barndoor" was a thing when my dad passed in july. he left a small mountain of disorganized vw parts dating from the 40'-70's. im working to remedy my lack of knowledge.

EverettB wrote:
I believe the white dome lights above are the same but for another non-VW vehicle.
I have only seen the black bases on Barndoors, for all models.

good to know. i have been using the classifieds as a reference. i will stop doing that. thank you for steering me towards the correct part.

all of the pictures you posted are very helpful. i think i was able to track down the correct front bumper mounts thanks to that.

EverettB wrote:
The horn button piece - Since it's apart, maybe that's a center button from a Barndoor horn button?
The center push piece may be the same size.
29 should be a Barndoor piece but I've never looked at a later one or taken it apart myself.

For reference stuff I'm not sure how to check other than asking or doing Gallery searches.
There is a Barndoor parts book at http://oacdp.com/ that will have some photos and part #s.

i had not considered that people may have modified or otherwise changed the parts around. makes sense.

searching the gallery is a good suggestion. i will start using that tool. i have a parts book that i got from the

RockStock wrote:
20-106146, Nov 54
So with rear bumper

that is the correct number. im impressed you could get that from that picture! i added the truck to the registry over at barndoor.dk. i was the 999th barndoor registered there Cool

RockStock wrote:

Quote:
semaphores. smooth swfs. i havent taken the time to learn if they are correct yet, but i only have 2 sets and the other one is correct for the bug so this one goes with the truck for now.

111 953 021B, or
AL 143.001.1

Just read the whole thread this morning. Top piece on your dad, and wise words on the importance of provenance etc. I’d be tracking down a period photo from the painting company. And gotta get hold of a cab!

thanks for that info. i will verify the number on the semaphores.

thank you for taking the time to read the thread! im happy to have you along for the ride. i hope to keep it active and interactive going forward.

Mike did a great job on that article as did my sister who wrote the obituary. its touching to hear kind words about my dad. he was a heck of a guy. he would be shocked by how much progress ive made with his cars.

im looking forward to learning more about the trucks life as a painting company work vehicle. Springfield is close enough to day trip to if need be. if there is info to be found ill track it down.

thanks guys!
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Quote:
RockStock wrote:

more ignorant than oblivious. i know im a novice. i didnt know "barndoor" was a thing when my dad passed in july. he left a small mountain of disorganized vw parts dating from the 40'-70's. im working to remedy my lack of knowledge

Sorry, it was a generic use of You…anyone new to a BD…which included me.
TS Forum searches are your friend here too. Most topics will have been covered.

VIN - I looked up the last two digits on Tonny’s ace site 😉

Front brackets…still wrong…front 2 holes should be offset, vertically.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Quote:
RockStock wrote:

more ignorant than oblivious. i know im a novice. i didnt know "barndoor" was a thing when my dad passed in july. he left a small mountain of disorganized vw parts dating from the 40'-70's. im working to remedy my lack of knowledge

I've been following this thread too and, according to Tonny's registry, your original engine would have been in the 20-0918XXX range or slightly lower.

It wouldn't surprise me if you had some of the original engine accessories in your father's stash of parts, if the original long block was swapped out for a rebuilt 36hp unit at some point and was still with the bus when your dad acquired its remains. There is tons of information in the '54-'55 engine thread in the oval window forum. The distributor, carburetor, crank pulley bolt and rear pan are all early Type 2-unique items. The air cleaner for a Type 26 barndoor is unique to the pickup (similar to Karmann Ghia) and probably the hardest engine part to find.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Quote:
RockStock wrote:

all good. written word is challenging. add in the fact that samba users are from all over the globe and it can be downright confusing. i didnt take it as an offense.

barndoor.dk really is excellent. the dropgates.com one is really good too.

i hadnt noticed the offset on those brackets. ill go back to searching. that small detail is a great example of the challenge of sorting through all these parts.

janerick3 wrote:
I've been following this thread too and, according to Tonny's registry, your original engine would have been in the 20-0918XXX range or slightly lower.

It wouldn't surprise me if you had some of the original engine accessories in your father's stash of parts, if the original long block was swapped out for a rebuilt 36hp unit at some point and was still with the bus when your dad acquired its remains. There is tons of information in the '54-'55 engine thread in the oval window forum. The distributor, carburetor, crank pulley bolt and rear pan are all early Type 2-unique items. The air cleaner for a Type 26 barndoor is unique to the pickup (similar to Karmann Ghia) and probably the hardest engine part to find.

happy you are along for the ride! ill start keeping my eye out for a block in that number range.

i dont know if the engine that brian owned ever made it to my dad. dan may have sold it before my pops acquired the rusty rectangle.

im think i have some parts that would work. i have 4 or 5 round top oil coolers, i think i have the right feul pump. i have a bunch of early carbs. not sure if i have the right one or not. i dont think i have the air cleaner. i have a lot of air cleaners that look correct but they dont have the wing nut so i think they are ghia parts.

i have a lot of oval engine parts. ive been skipping over identifying engine parts so far. there are 20 or more of basically every part. a variety of styles of each. so far its been more efficient to just throw the generators in the generator pile and the distributors in the distributor pile and so forth.

like this:

at some point ill have it all sorted and be able to start identifying what i have.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:

Quote:

111 953 021B, or
AL 143.001.1

here is the part number. different from the ones you listed. searching this forum and the internet for that part number produced no useful results. seems like they should function. does anybody know anything about when/what this number was used for?

AL 143.001.2

also got these tail light lenses. hella k1509

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Semaphores Reply with quote

Quote:
AL.143.001.2

Hmmm
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/semaphores.php
Listed under 46-49…but they look right to me. Probably a work in progress list.
<<edit: not listed under 46-49!>>

Lenses are right…got the taillights?

Last edited by RockStock on Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:06 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Semaphores Reply with quote

RockStock wrote:
Quote:
AL.143.001.2

Hmmm
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/semaphores.php
Listed under 46-49…but they look right to me. Probably a work in progress list.

Lenses are right…got the taillights?

ive seen a lot of similar numbers but havent found this one yet.

i see:
AL 142.001 and
L143.001-2 in 46-49 (these are ribbed)

AL 143.001.1 and
L.143.001.2 in 49-53 (also ribbed)

AL 143.001.1 in 54-57 (these are smooth)

the part i have is numbered:
AL.143.001.2 SWF orange and smooth

incomplete list? replacement part? unreported minor design change?

no taillights yet. they may not be here. they were not with the truck when Brian or Dan owned it. the tail lights were cut for a larger light before Brian bought the truck in the late 90s. Probably quite a bit before given that areas state of preservation.

anyone with an extra set of lights they want to unload?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Are there date stamps on the frame that holds the pivot pin in place?

The original SWF semaphores for your pickup would be stamped "KF" (Oct 1954), or something in that range.

Yellow lenses suggest mid-1955 or later semaphores.

The old-style part numbers were still used on semaphores into 1955 for some models.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
Are there date stamps on the frame that holds the pivot pin in place?

The original SWF semaphores for your pickup would be stamped "KF" (Oct 1954), or something in that range.

Yellow lenses suggest mid-1955 or later semaphores.

The old-style part numbers were still used on semaphores into 1955 for some models.

looks like its "LF". that means november of 1954 (or maybe EF may 1954) if im understanding correctly. here is a picture:

for anybody reading this in the future (and for me the next time) swf date stamps are 2 letter. 1st letter is month A=january, B=feb and so on. second letter is the year. A=1949, B=50... the letter I isnt used. AA is january 1949 JL is september 1959.

these lenses are orange. i attached a color comparison image with some yellow swf lenses so you can see for yourself:

any theories as to why this specific serial number isnt listed in the reference?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the -2 semaphores but here's another one I posted a photo of in the past, if it helps:

My old 4/54 Single Cab had these SWF # AL 143.001.1 ones:

RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
any theories as to why this specific serial number isnt listed in the reference?

As I understand it, that Semaphore Table is an enthusiast produced list
It’s like you or I putting it together over a few days
Not an official list

So AL.143.001.2 (SWF) probably just needs adding…
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:

looks like its "LF". that means november of 1954 (or maybe EF may 1954) if im understanding c]
orrectly. here is a picture:

[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2250939.jpg[/img
for anybody reading this in the future (and for me the next time) swf date stamps are 2 letter. 1st letter is month A=january, B=feb and so on. second letter is the year. A=1949, B=50... the letter I isnt used. AA is january 1949 JL is september 1959.

these lenses are orange. i attached a color comparison image with some yellow swf lenses so you can see for yourself:

For some unexplainable reason, SWF uses both the letters "I" and "J" for the month of September.

I won't argue with the lenses being orange. LED garage lighting tends to distort colors...

Unlike sedans, which had color-coordinated semaphores, these semaphores should remain black.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: