Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1954
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Roof clip before :
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Roof clip after :

1964 Chop Top
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

thank you for that picture banana split!

this is quite fun having all this show up.

i wonder who else out there has bits and pieces that were part of my truck or its history?
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

ok now that the tides have shifted its time to cut up that pink nightmare and fix that singlecab Laughing
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

western auto wrote:
ok now that the tides have shifted its time to cut up that pink nightmare and fix that singlecab Laughing

bwahaha LaughingLaughingLaughing
TDIvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that truck is still around, I have a few pictures of it as well that I can dig out (also on film). If I come across anything in my stash of crap that you can use I'll get a hold of you. It should have never been cut up. I did see the 63 scab that Brian got in the trade, it was as bad or worse. My understanding was that Brian was offered something that was closer to being able to be put back on the road, but when it showed up and it wasn't he just went along with it due to his state of mind at the time. I believe my words to Brian were "you're an idiot" when I saw it (before I knew his dad had passed away the same day). To me (and other true bus enthusiasts) Dan will always be the guy that cut up a barndoor solely because it was worth more to do so. People did restore rusty buses long before "funky green" metal was available. Back in the day (and before there was an internet), when buses were just a vehicle and not a commodity, there were suppliers such as Das Bulli Haus that sold repair panels at a very low price in hopes that it would influence more people to fix them (I believe the short rocker cost me $13 back in the day). Luckily now there is so much more available, both in parts and information, that even a truck such as this one that has been hacked apart can be fixed.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

TDIvan wrote:
I'm glad to see that truck is still around, I have a few pictures of it as well that I can dig out (also on film). If I come across anything in my stash of crap that you can use I'll get a hold of you.

awesome! i look forward to hearing from you again!

TDIvan wrote:
It should have never been cut up.

i doubt i would own it if it wasnt cut up, so from a selfish perspective im not complaining.

TDIvan wrote:
To me (and other true bus enthusiasts) Dan will always be the guy that cut up a barndoor solely because it was worth more to do so.

thats basically the job description for a flipper right?

Brian - you are welcome to come over and hang out with the truck any time.
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

TDIvan wrote:
I did see the 63 scab that Brian got in the trade, it was as bad or worse. My understanding was that Brian was offered something that was closer to being able to be put back on the road, but when it showed up and it wasn't...

Nobody would trade a '54 for an "as bad or worse" '63 and a few hundred dollars

TDIvan wrote:
...he just went along with it due to his state of mind at the time.

Per Brians' post, the tragedy of Brian's Dad's death happened after the trade, not before. If Brian was mentally unstable as you suggest there were no obvious signs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Popcorn

WOW, reads like a James Michner novel...looking forward to more.
Thanks to everyone ones contributing.....some very interesting diatribe.
Inclusive of learning new respect for some of TS older members memories and stories.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet

Last edited by aa390392 on Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

aa390392 wrote:
Popcorn

WOW, reads like a James Michner novel...looking forward to more.
Thanks to everyone ones contributing.....some very interesting diatribe.

its been an interesting ~week for sure. never would have dreamed id get all this information. hopefully i can find some more verifiable info about the corbett painting company! being able to find some old photos would be amazing!
TDIvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Looks like i misread Brian's post. Either way this is a thread about a truck. Your dad had the good sense to stash it even though it had been hacked. As far as Corbett Painting goes, could this be the company? They were located in Springfield, MO, looks like they folded in 1983 if so.
https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_mo/00204637

There is an event in MO, known as Buses Nowhere Near the Arch which is Labor Day weekend every year that most of our group make it to, when you do get it going you should definitely drive it out.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

TDIvan wrote:
Your dad had the good sense to stash it even though it had been hacked.

i agree. my girlfriend told me that dad was keeping it safe and ready for me to discover. i think he buried it in junk so my mom wouldnt be able to get rid of it. there was a whole layer on top to complain about first!. or maybe it was cause he never threw anything away. dad had turned their yard into a junkyard early in their marriage, much to my mothers dismay.

TDIvan wrote:
As far as Corbett Painting goes, could this be the company? They were located in Springfield, MO, looks like they folded in 1983 if so.
https://opencorporates.com/companies/us_mo/00204637

neat! Brian said they were still operating when he owned the truck, so the fold date doesnt line up. ive also run into a painter named Oliver Corbett who did landscapes and murals. lived in Springfield for a while. more research to do.

TDIvan wrote:
There is an event in MO, known as Buses Nowhere Near the Arch which is Labor Day weekend every year that most of our group make it to, when you do get it going you should definitely drive it out.

im in. its gonna a be a while before i have this thing on the road. im currently thinking something like 2030 but im still revising the plan pretty frequently. the scale of the project and the scarcity of parts is going to necessitate a long timeframe. it will be less painful to pay for everything that way as well. it needs a LOT of work. here is one of my favorite pics ive taken so far. really shows how much needs to be done. cargo area looking down the gas tank divider.

Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Geesh, I guess Festivus came early this year.
It sure wasn't my intention but I appear to have struck a nerve.

ThatVWGuy wrote:

To hear them tell the story I deployed military surveillance technology and a small army of telepaths to discern the location of "The SCAB". The fact is Brian talked about the truck to more than a few fellow enthusiasts. News of a Barndoor discovery was just as much news then as it would be now. The VW community is small and the story spread. No mystery here. “Somehow” = Brian and his friends spread the word. Lots of people knew about the truck, nobody else was interested.

uh, no. I only used the word "somehow" because it was 20 frakking years ago and I have absolutely zero recollection of of how Dan knew I was interested in selling, if I even was actively trying to sell it at the time? Did I list it in OBR? Did he cold-call me? I have no idea.

Dan was someone that I knew from seeing frequently at midwest shows and swaps in his sweet Binz DOKA and Puck trailer, but we weren't on a phone call basis (not much email back then) like I was with the other "KC Crew". So I've always just assumed he got my # from Mike or Glenn or something.

I *think* I do remember that I wanted to make some kind of cash + trade for another truck deal. because I definitely wanted a VW truck of some kind still. So that kind of pushes me to the "was not actively trying to sell" column. But, not sure.

Of course people knew about it and I didn't make it out to be some kind of secret. Hell, to this day "I once had a barndoor" is some seriously good campfire folklore.

ThatVWGuy wrote:
Bullshit. For proof I’d like to ask the collective if anyone here would trade a ’54 Barndoor SC for a ’63 SC of equal or lesser condition and a few hundred dollars. That’s a firm “Hell No” both then and now. As evidenced by Brian’s pictures the deal was made in broad daylight, nothing was hidden. Brian wasn’t a rookie so the ’63 had to be in significantly better condition than the ’54 otherwise he wouldn’t have made the deal for only a “few hundred bucks” difference, end of story. To imply that he was “screwed” in the deal is an insult to Brian because it says he is an idiot. He is not an idiot and I'm not a cheat. Again, lots of people knew about it, nobody else was interested. Brian accepted the best deal he was offered. If others were interested why didn’t he sell it to them?

well, unfortunately not bullshit. While I might disagree with my friends who say it was "as bad or worse", but it certainly was a custy ass bus in its own way. This is Mizzery, after all.
The deal was made over the phone sight-unseen. When it arrived in-tow I just remember feeling like the deal was already done and committed to.
And, like I said, I don't even remember if i was actively trying to sell the SCAB and if there were any other offers to be had. Friends don't think that I was actively selling it. I really don't know what I could have gotten for it in 1999/2000 in the open market in the midwest.
I don't even think The Samba was around then? Of if it was I didn't know about it.

Anyway, I had some pictures saved online, y'all can judge for yourself and Dan can refresh his memory.
It did have double treasure-chest doors so that was pretty neat. but there wasn't a single panel that wasn't rusty.

Again, I forget exactly when but I eventually had to sell the '63 as well, after trading the roof clip of my old 21-window to Oliver Earl for a set up SCAB gates for it.
I put it on eBay with no reserve and it only got $300. so that aught to tell you something there.
Being unsure of the year I did this, that may or may not have been a fair price but it certainly is apparently what the market would dictate.
Remember, in the late 90's / very early Aughts, it was normal to be able to buy a running & driving split indecent shape anywhere from $600-$1,500 and drive it home.
Just a few years prior to this I got my '64 Turkis SO-33, 80% complete, at the Mo-Kan spring swap meet for $600 and drove it home to STL.
One of my best friends bought a '66 13-window Deluxe that same day for I think $800 and drove it home.

These pictures were taken that same day after we rolled it off the tow dolly:

I never insinuated that Dan conveyed some kind of "promise" to fix up the '54. I was just disappointed to learn that it was, as I was let to believe, chopped and then completely scrapped. That's all. I'm sure anyone else would have felt the same way. Like I said previously, I am truly pleased to learn this was not the case. that's all.

although NOW I am a bit pissed that parts of it went to create that gorram pink abortion monstrosity of a Kustom Very Happy Laughing
It should absolutely be sacrificed to restore the '54!!!

I would also like to state for the record that I never have held any animosity about the whole thing.
Look, what happened happened and that's all there is to it. it was 20 years ago. Shit happened. Months later we diced up a running and driving 21-window with a sawzall. It's what we did back then, in the midwest especially with all the rusty shitboxes we drove.

Since then it's been nothing more than casual VW campfire folklore to share and reminisce about, especially seeing what people are doing today to rescue any and all splits, especially barndoors.

As for Corbett Painting, in 1997 or whatever, they were just right there in the phone book (remember those?) to look up and call. Sorry they're apparently not around still, but maybe start calling the Corbetts still in the directory for the area?

Ultimately my biggest regret is that soon after acquiring the '54 I just tore it apart like an idiot. Instead of throwing in a fresh battery and one of the like, 5 or 6 40hp turn key motors I had piled up in the garage at the time, and driving it at least once.
what the hell was I thinking???!! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThatVWGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
Geesh, I guess Festivus came early this year. It sure wasn't my intention but I appear to have struck a nerve.

You and your friends have been talking shit about me for 20 years. Damn straight you struck a nerve.

stl_stadtroller wrote:
While I might disagree with my friends who say it was "as bad or worse", but it certainly was a custy ass bus in its own way. This is Mizzery, after all. Anyway, I had some pictures saved online, y'all can judge for yourself and Dan can refresh his memory.

I never claimed it was pristine, only that it was better than the '54. Note the decided lack of structural rust, no holes in the corners, decent dog legs, the back of the cab is solid, the bed looks reasonably straight, nice nose, and of course not being a barndoor parts would be much, much, much easier to find. The ’63 is definitely the easier/cheaper of the two to restore.

stl_stadtroller wrote:
The deal was made over the phone sight-unseen. When it arrived in-tow I just remember feeling like the deal was already done and committed to.

The deal was discussed over the phone and confirmed in person. As I recall neither of us had seen the other vehicle (in person or in photos) so nothing was final until we both had a chance to inspect the other vehicle.

stl_stadtroller wrote:
I never insinuated that Dan conveyed some kind of "promise" to fix up the '54. I was just disappointed…

I would also like to state for the record that I never have held any animosity about the whole thing.

Months later we diced up a running and driving 21-window with a sawzall. It's what we did back then, in the midwest especially with all the rusty shitboxes we drove.

EXACTLY – So why have you and your buds talked shit about me for 20+years?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
Ultimately my biggest regret is that soon after acquiring the '54 I just tore it apart like an idiot. Instead of throwing in a fresh battery and one of the like, 5 or 6 40hp turn key motors I had piled up in the garage at the time, and driving it at least once.

when i get it running you are totally welcome to take it for a spin! its gonna take me a bit though. im still a novice when it comes to any of this.

im probably gonna go putz around with it right now actually!
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Look, I'm sorry if you feel like *I* have been "talking shit" for 20 years.. All I know of is relaying the story as I remember it, with of course the caveat that the circumstances later that day (and, you know, 20 years passing by) cloud my memory of any particular nuance.

We've not had any dealings before or after, so I can't speak to anything else.

If you feel like my friends have breached decorum I would suggest taking that up with them.

If you really feel the need to hash out 20 year old deals long forgotten then I submit that Jim's thread is not the place to continue this. You know how to reach out directly.

I said my piece, was sincere, and have considered it resolved many many years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:
stl_stadtroller wrote:

when i get it running you are totally welcome to take it for a spin! its gonna take me a bit though. im still a novice when it comes to any of this.

im probably gonna go putz around with it right now actually!

Awesome man! thank you for the offer!
If there's any way I can help please let me know. I still need to get the pictures shared out to you. been a busy week with Christmas.

I might even have hard copies I can send. you.. gotta dig through my shoeboxes of old prints.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
If you really feel the need to hash out 20 year old deals long forgotten then I submit that Jim's thread is not the place to continue this. You know how to reach out directly.

thank you for that sentiment. this is a thread about a truck ... well ... 3/4 of a truck. lets talk about the truck!

ill spend some time taking some pics of the various cuts, ladder rack holes and whatnots. that way we can have some new content to look at and discuss.

merry christmas to all you guys and i hope you stay safe and enjoy your winter celebrations!
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

snapped a couple pics of the engine compartment and the 20-numbered case that i have.

compartment. pretty decent. vin tag intact.

passenger side rear wheel.

drivers side rear wheel.

tale light cut out, modified and enlarged. you can see 3 screw holes for the after market tail lights.

passenger side wheel well

driver side wheel well

this used to be the battery tray. not much there any more. this is pretty common. battery acid is quite corrosive. it ate its way all the way out through the rear corner.

engine number on the generator stand. its a january 54, so not original to the truck. i would happily trade it for a november 54 case.

generator stand date stamp 5 - 1 - 34 means third work shift of january 5th 1954.

here is the other date stamp 8 - 1 - 14 january 8th 1954.

case. havent been able to split the thing yet.

inside. needs cleaned. ive been working with a local machine shop whose workmanship im testing using some of my more common parts. once we build up some trust ill give them (or someone else) a crack at this case and the 25hp for the bug.

distributor thats jammed in the top. havent been able to remove it. havent really tried though.

Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

oh man.. i remember being blown away by those freaky Barndoor trailing arms and redux boxes!
Sounds like you at least have an age-appropriate case to go with it now! The one it came with to me had a hand stamped MO Highway Patrol assigned 17 digit VIN and the case # dated to '56 we think which is how it wound up titled as a '56 instead of '54.

probably the one strapped down to the bed in the pictures of us loading it up.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

adding some more pictures of some of the random parts and problems.

here are some of the holes in the bed that were likely form the ladder rack. its cool to have a previous owner to tell you why the random holes are there!

here you can see some of the pillar that was chopped. the cuts are clean enough that it shouldnt be too hard to repair once i get my hands on something to repair it with.

when i installed a steering column i just grabbed the nicest looking one. that wanst the correct one. i have a couple other columns

dated 11/54 this is probably the right one for the truck. spins freely.

same type as above. 3/54 date. or is that 7/10/53...this stuff is complicated. jammed up good. wont move at all.

this is the one thats on the truck at the moment. i had my nice hoodie on so i didnt want to climb under. just stuck my phone in there and snapped a bunch of pics. this is the best i got. i think its from a bay window or something.

brake fluid reservoir. really nice compared to all the other ones like this that ive seen. one pin hole in the lid.

pedals. gas pedals are always won out. people must have been wearing sandpaper on their shoes.

another set of pedals. these ones are in worse repair.

semaphores. smooth swfs. i havent taken the time to learn if they are correct yet, but i only have 2 sets and the other one is correct for the bug so this one goes with the truck for now.

dome light. missing the lens.

bumper mounts for the front

horn button. i have another one that is missing the housing.

trafficator switch. i like the word trafficator. feels very old timey

wheel cylinders. i have a pair of 22s for the front. i have a ton of 19s.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: