Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Some of you may have seen or been watching this Bus recently posted for sale here. I had the good fortune to be able to purchase it from the owner whose father originally purchased it in Nov of 1970 from Ralph Cutright VW in Santa Monica. They took extremely good care and servicing of this Bus in the 50 years of ownership. It is in amazing original shape with great documentation of mileage and service. I'm looking forward to refreshing it back into near new condition and maintain it's original condition. Thank You A & J DeSouza for your care and upkeep on this great VW Bus, not many 50 year old one family cars are out there in this condition.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Congratulations on the amazing find. There was a guy on here a few years back who picked up a ‘71 (I think) Westy in the same situation, one owner, unbelievably low miles. Incredibile to think that things like this still exist…keeps my hopes up of coming across one myself. You never know what’s sitting in someone’s garage/barn. Enjoy it!

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

32000 divided by 50 = 640 miles/yr, you do realize the odometer starts over at 0 after 99999 miles. 132000 would be more reasonable = 2640 miles/yr.
Type2_Personality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

That is very cool. I ordered my 1971 VW (Adventure Camper) from Ralph Cutright VW in Santa Monica and picked it up November 1970 also. I sold it a few years later then soon after had to have another 1971 Bus, which I still have and it also came from Ralph Cutright, however it was built in June 1971.

Cheers and congratulations on a great find!
400,000+ West Coast USA Miles
Too Many Dead Shows To Remember
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
32000 divided by 50 = 640 miles/yr, you do realize the odometer starts over at 0 after 99999 miles. 132000 would be more reasonable = 2640 miles/yr.

discussed in the other thread about the westie. there is wear that just wont occur at 32000 miles.
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Starbucket & Alman 72, Been owning and driving VWs for 47 years, not 147 years Wink. Check my post's an feedback. I'm reasonably knowledgeable Smile.

Beside numerous doc's showing clearly the servicing and mileage, it was garage kept and unused for many years, less than 3,000 miles since 1993.

It still retains all the little bits and pieces, etc that don't survive or are worn or discarded in the normal wear and tear in 60,000 plus mile cars. Interior, headliner., engine underbody, fender wells, floor mats, rear carpet an on an on all support that it is a 32,000 mile vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

super nice bus. That said. a family vehicle would get driven 5000 miles a year in most situations at a minimum. That is only 400 miles a month, which is really lite use. That would mean it was used as a third or fourth car until about 1976 then parked 45 years. Look at the date code on the tires. See how old they are.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I'm excited to see more pics, sounds like a fantastic bus. Cool

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Just when I think there aren’t any good early bays left 🤤

Congrats on what looks like an incredible bus.

Check the fuel lines?
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Samba folk please save your time on how to determine the actual miles on a vehicle you have not actual seen in person, no disrespect. I know cars and in particular VW's.
I posted the picture to celebrate with Samba viewers that there are great OG finds still out there and thank the family who owned this Bus for the great job they did in servicing and caring for a 50 year old VW. Anyone who has owned the same vehicle for 50 years gets kudos from me, especially when they take care of it.
There is a clear line of service records and the physical condition of numerous areas of the vehicle that confirm it is 32,000 miles not 132,000.
I could write an essay on how to determine one from the other.

In the end if you still have to know for yourself is it 32k or 132k, please give me a heads up the next time you are in Reno NV and we can have a beer together and see if we come to the same conclusion. Cheers!

Last edited by Jay Pearson on Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Air Schooled, absolutely, plan to service and or replace all fuel lines, brake lines, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, along with complete fluids change, carb rebuild, etc to insure integrity, 50 years takes it toll on the "soft parts". Not in a hurry to be out driving it around just yet.
Take Care!
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Hello,
Very cool find.. Congrates on the find.

I'll take you up on the chance to see your "Survivor Bus" and the cold beer. I'm only down hwy395 a couple of hours. And, have a 6/71 westfalia, one family owned survivor bus(not as nice as your) . Take, Mark Twain's advice with the naysayers... Oh and, I'd hope someone would have changed their old belted tires out after a 50 yrs span. But, I did notice the white walls first as an age period indicator.

But, I'd think twice about replacing the brake cyls. and master cyl. with new aftermarket parts,(China). It would be better to find some good rebuild kits, and a light hone and go. JMHO Take your time to go through all the systems, you've got the idea...

Again, Nice find and would love to check out your 71 deluxe. Yet, choose your parts wisely....
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:
Samba folk please save your time on how to determine the actual miles on a vehicle you have not actual seen in person, no disrespect. I know cars and in particular VW's.
I posted the picture to celebrate with Samba viewers that there are great OG finds still out there and thank the family who owned this Bus for the great job they did in servicing and caring for a 50 year old VW. Anyone who has owned the same vehicle for 50 years gets kudos from me, especially when they take care of it.
There is a clear line of service records and the physical condition of numerous areas of the vehicle that confirm it is 32,000 miles not 132,000.
I could write an essay on how to determine one from the other.

In the end if you still have to know for yourself is it 32k or 132k, please give me a heads up the next time you are in Reno NV and we can have a beer together and see if we come to the same conclusion. Cheers!

since your mind is made up it really doesn't matter what some of us share, eh?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Congratulations on that beauty. Even John Muir said he liked the 1971. I met my first wife in one.

Some folks just can’t stand it when others have nice things, ignore them.

Likewise, if you don’t know Jay well enough to walk in for a coffee unannounced, put that keyboard down and leave that “How much did you pay?” Post in the garbage bin.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

That bus does look to have a genuine patina of age from being stored carefully.

Great find!

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
leave that “How much did you pay?” Post in the garbage bin.

judging by what it was listed for i can take a guess.

i don't find it rude at all, more of a data point.

squareweave found a killer survivor bus as well.

my 0.02..... low mileage stuff like this is useless. every mile you put on it the value drops, been there done that.... unless you come to terms with the fact that you just don't care.

don't get me wrong, i love a survivor. neat bus and cool color, you don't see too many like that.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
But, I'd think twice about replacing the brake cyls. and master cyl. with new aftermarket parts,(China). It would be better to find some good rebuild kits, and a light hone and go. JMHO Take your time to go through all the systems, you've got the idea...

I can’t speak for the quality of replacement parts, but just for the sake of staying original this is probably a good idea.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:
Starbucket & Alman 72, Been owning and driving VWs for 47 years, not 147 years Wink. Check my post's an feedback. I'm reasonably knowledgeable Smile.

Beside numerous doc's showing clearly the servicing and mileage, it was garage kept and unused for many years, less than 3,000 miles since 1993.

It still retains all the little bits and pieces, etc that don't survive or are worn or discarded in the normal wear and tear in 60,000 plus mile cars. Interior, headliner., engine underbody, fender wells, floor mats, rear carpet an on an on all support that it is a 32,000 mile vehicle.

you read my post a little oversensitive, Jay. i was replying to Starbucket, that you CAN tell the difference, because things wear over 100000 miles. You just have to know what to look for, as you stated. I dont need your thesis, thanks. but congrats, fantastic bus.
edit-rereading my original post, i can see where you were getting that i was questioning your bus. I was poorly trying to state that things wear different at 130000 vs 30000, and are easily observable, and you can tell a low mileage bus. not that i could see those easily observable things on YOUR bus... If anything i was talking about the westie from a few years ago, and you could tell it only had 30-40 thou on it, vs 130-140
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I don't believe that anyone said that it is not a 30,000 miles bus. What they said was that the odds are against that. There are many threads here where buses had another 0 in the mile column because they roll over. The paint and original upholstery in buses looks very good at 100,000 as compared to 1 mile. At 32,000 I would expect the original fan belt, the original tires unless the OP changed them due to age, the original CV boots, in fact everything should be original including the plug wires and cap. There should be no wear on the letters on the ash tray, the chrome on the door locks should be immaculate etc.. The heater on the window in the back should be like new. But, in the end all that matters is that you, the OP, are happy with it.
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

SG Kent, to the tire question thank you for that it really solidifies the actual mileage with physical evidence not just paper work.. I have had the time to place into an excel file all the invoices for servicing in order by date and mileage. What is on the Bus in the photo are tires that were installed in July of 1996 at 31,181 miles. I have the Sears invoice support that. There is a very tight time line of invoices showing no gaps where an extra 100K of miles could have occurred leading up to that point. No invoice for service contradicts another in the sequence of mileage being recorded.
Attached are photo's of the tires on the Bus pretty sure they have not seen 100k added since their installation based on the tread left. From that point on this vehicle sat in a garage. The next invoice is from 2015 for an oil change and servicing at 32030 miles. Again the tires help to validate that 200 miles driven in 19 years not a 100K more. Today the Bus has 32189 miles.
This will be my last post on the mileage topic, time to move on to refreshing and posting pic's as I do so.
Alman72 no worries yes you are right there are things that occur in 30,000 or 130,000 that are not the same and you can detect it when inspecting a vehicle no matter what is being presented, all evidence on this VW supports the former not the later.
Yes to those who commented I will try to rebuild and only use German or the best equivalent when refreshing and maintaining this Bus going forward.
Thanks

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: