Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What a fantastic bus. My purest heart is going pitter patter. Very Happy

That clamp on the warm air hose to the oil bath is wrong. I think that's been established.

Lots of really nice originality in this engine compartment. The original "short" 12 volt coil. The hoses, the black boots on the intake manifold, etc.

You have the original German Bosch dark brown Bosch bakelite distributor cap in place. Part number 1235522183. They are getting SUPER rare and hard to find. Don't change it and throw that one away! You can clean the carbon off the brass posts inside it and run it for 75-100K miles with care. It appears to have the original condenser still installed as well. There's a Bosch date code on the condenser. What is it? That green bottom version was used in 1971.
I have an NOS 211905205Q distributor in the box which is what you have in your bus. It has that same version of the condenser installed along with that dark brown cap.

One thing to be mindful off in regards to that distributor. Busdadday noted it as well. The 1971-1973 Bosch DVDA distributors were not Bosch's finest design and build quality. By far, the vast majority of the DVDA's I disassemble are worn out and are scrapped. The pivot plate design was poor. The advance weight pins are too small. The points cam lobes were not hardened and dirt/grit gets embedded in the points cam grease and grinds the lobes down undersize.
As a result, when I take those distributors apart, all the parts are badly worn undersize. Now, a low mileage DVDA can usually be restored. Bosch redesigned their VW distributors in 1974 and addressed those issues.
So, consider getting that distributor disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. You will add lots of miles to it's life.

What kills those distributors is the original factory lubrication is long gone after several years. So, those parts are wearing metal on metal with no lubrication and mix in the dirt, dust and debris and it all grinds those parts undersize. If the pivot plate gets gummed up or jammed, it puts lots of additional strain on those hard to find DVDA vacuum canisters, shortening their life.

When I restored my 1971 bus engine, It took me disassembling four different distributors to harvest enough still in spec parts to rebuild my 211905205Q distributor. For some reason, the 2119050205Q is by far the most worn out distributor I take apart. They are usually full of a lot of dirt, grit and debris from thousands of off road miles, I'm sure. Those original owners ran the wheels off those buses back in the day.

Here's a picture of my restored 1971 bus engine that Busdaddy has attacked me for in the past for incorrect parts! He's mean! Laughing

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Put a Subaru in it then drive it! It’s not a Lusso..it’s a bus.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:
Put a Subaru in it then drive it! It’s not a Lusso..it’s a bus.
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Bus Daddy, thank you for the information on the Carb and Distributor. If I see that I need to use the services I will.

I'm an engine guy, numerous engine builds, carb rebuilds, and distributor's.
I lean toward period correct but have done performance motors as well.
Nothing more satisfying than taking a "rusty ship anchor" and turning back into a like new running motor.

Fortunately in this case it looks more like replacing all the soft parts, gaskets, seals, etc. and a clean flushing of the motor.

Today I had a little time to spend under the engine, nothing more satisfying than see a perfect condition thermostat in place, but that is just me. Smile

Take Care!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

WCFVW69, beautiful motor thank you for the picture.

So how are you on the 71 VW fuel pump, your motor has the one pictured in my version of the owners manual and mine has a different version?

I believe yours is the correct for 71 but an earlier responder said that my motor has a version that was also on the 1600 at this time frame.

VW literature was not always sync'd with what was actually coming out of the factory at certain times.

Take Care!
vwmerckx Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

"Earlier Responder" here Smile

Your fuel pump would have been correct for the early 71, such as your Sept 1970.....but it is not really "rebuildable", just slightly serviceable and tossed to the heap when it no longer functions properly

Left of the generator stand you can see the replacement fuel pump which is completely rebuildable, such as Bill has in his 71 Bus

From the Bentley

Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

VWMERCKX, thank you for the Bentley Manual Photo's and clearing up the fuel pump question.

This is my first Bay Bus and unfortunately I did not keep a Type 2 Bentley manual in my library (sold the ones I acquired over the years should have kept one). Have a new one arriving this week.

Garage floor epoxy coating has a couple more drying days and then I will be able to start refreshing the basics. Fuel system and brakes are on for round one.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

What a fantastic bus. My purest heart is going pitter patter. Very Happy

That clamp on the warm air hose to the oil bath is wrong. I think that's been established.

Lots of really nice originality in this engine compartment. The original "short" 12 volt coil. The hoses, the black boots on the intake manifold, etc.

You have the original German Bosch dark brown Bosch bakelite distributor cap in place. Part number 1235522183. They are getting SUPER rare and hard to find. Don't change it and throw that one away! You can clean the carbon off the brass posts inside it and run it for 75-100K miles with care. It appears to have the original condenser still installed as well. There's a Bosch date code on the condenser. What is it? That green bottom version was used in 1971.
I have an NOS 211905205Q distributor in the box which is what you have in your bus. It has that same version of the condenser installed along with that dark brown cap.

One thing to be mindful off in regards to that distributor. Busdadday noted it as well. The 1971-1973 Bosch DVDA distributors were not Bosch's finest design and build quality. By far, the vast majority of the DVDA's I disassemble are worn out and are scrapped. The pivot plate design was poor. The advance weight pins are too small. The points cam lobes were not hardened and dirt/grit gets embedded in the points cam grease and grinds the lobes down undersize.
As a result, when I take those distributors apart, all the parts are badly worn undersize. Now, a low mileage DVDA can usually be restored. Bosch redesigned their VW distributors in 1974 and addressed those issues.
So, consider getting that distributor disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. You will add lots of miles to it's life.

What kills those distributors is the original factory lubrication is long gone after several years. So, those parts are wearing metal on metal with no lubrication and mix in the dirt, dust and debris and it all grinds those parts undersize. If the pivot plate gets gummed up or jammed, it puts lots of additional strain on those hard to find DVDA vacuum canisters, shortening their life.

When I restored my 1971 bus engine, It took me disassembling four different distributors to harvest enough still in spec parts to rebuild my 211905205Q distributor. For some reason, the 2119050205Q is by far the most worn out distributor I take apart. They are usually full of a lot of dirt, grit and debris from thousands of off road miles, I'm sure. Those original owners ran the wheels off those buses back in the day.

Here's a picture of my restored 1971 bus engine that Busdaddy has attacked me for in the past for incorrect parts! He's mean! Laughing

Don’t worry. No one notices the green vacuum retard line has the wrong handed helix around the vacuum advance pipe, either
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:
WCFVW69, beautiful motor thank you for the picture.

So how are you on the 71 VW fuel pump, your motor has the one pictured in my version of the owners manual and mine has a different version?

I believe yours is the correct for 71 but an earlier responder said that my motor has a version that was also on the 1600 at this time frame.

VW literature was not always sync'd with what was actually coming out of the factory at certain times.

Take Care!

Hey Jay,

I'm pretty sure it was early in the 1971 production of the bay buses in late 1970 that VW transitioned over to the throwaway fuel pumps. I've seen several factory photos of brand new 1971 dual port bus engines with the rebuildable dome tops still mounted.
On bug fuel pumps, they went from the rebuildable square tops to that same throw away fuel pump in August/September 1970 depending on the engine code that was built. VW would use up all the remaining parts on hand before installing the new, replacement parts on the assembly line.

So, either the rebuildable dome top or the throw away fuel pump is correct for the 1971 type 1 engine bus though I sell the rebuildable German Pierburg dome tops for all dual port engines in buses since you can't rebuild the throwaways.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

my 1971, VIN 2212225009, came with the rebuildable pump. When it failed around 60,000 miles, Econo VW in Riverside was unable to supply a rebuild kit, and sold only the later pump as a replacement.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

vwmerckx wrote:
Those are aftermarket curtains.

This as close as I have seen to the original curtains:

This fellow sells them: I was very pleased and they come packaged in a very cool box!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1561208

NLA also sells a curtain set:

https://nlavw.com/home/675-westfalia-split-screen-curtain-set-white-yellow-and-brown-chequered.html

Enjoy your '71 !!

Those curtains are correct for Wesfalia campers. Yours never came with curtains from the factory. So IMO anything you want to put in, or what you already have is fine. No use spending money you do not need to. Idea
sloans265
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
vwmerckx wrote:
Location for backup fuse and holder. Fortunately, I still have the original clamp!
Should probably re-orient it to match the Owner's Manual Smile

Looks like the holder should also be under the coil bracket, not on top.

Yes it goes under the bracket. You can see the shadow on the bracket that I searched for relentlessly. I might not have even known I needed it had it not been for members posting pics of OG motors!
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Underneath the passenger seat for the first time, factory line number 85, and what is rubber hold down for?

Had time to clean up the headlight rings nice to see the little details that are untouched, pulled up the passenger seat see the number 85, I think is an assembly line mark not sure what the rubber strap is intended for, nothing shown in the owners manual. Seat frames and fiber padding along with the paper tags in great shape.

This is what I was hunting for a 67-71 VW in original ( as much as possible after 50 years) condition.

Back in the garage in the next couple days Very Happy !

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Nice! Cool

The rubber ring on the headlight door screw is to keep you from losing it, the strap behind the seat is the basis for all sorts of theories, form your own conclusion: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=621361&highlight=seat+strap

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Best documentation was the strap held a small box with a warning triangle. I’m not sure this was standard kit in US market, unlike EU.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Survival kit Shocked Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Survival kit Shocked Laughing

looks good to me. Is that a concealed weapon?
Jay Pearson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

While I'm waiting for some parts to arrive, I have time for some clean up and refresh on the 51 year old. Just like rust time never stops, some items are in near new condition others need some grime over time removed.

The dash area is in awesome condition and no one installed a aftermarket sounds system, nothing worse than a dash hack job into a VW. Just a wipe down with a soft cloth was all that was needed.

Anyone ever seen anything done with the "empty: gauge spot worth noticing.

Take Care

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

I'd leave it for now. There are some options but the value of that bus is original. You essentially found a rare mint half dollar worth a lot of money in the back of an old drawer. The more you carry it around in your pocket with your keys the less it is worth. I've said it but again, I'd get something with some miles on it if you want to go cruising around in a bus. Carry a half dollar worth 50 cents in your pocket and leave the mint one worth a lot in your collection to grow in value.

Some people put an aftermarket tachometer in that spot and some find an old VW clock that has been rebuilt and works.
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bay "time capsule" 32,000 og miles Reply with quote

Jay Pearson wrote:

Anyone ever seen anything done with the "empty: gauge spot worth noticing.

Take Care

Looking good!

The empty spot accepts a clock that VW offered. There are also aftermarket tachometers that have been made to fit that spot with a similar looking face. I agree with SGKent on this one. Leave it as-is.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: