Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I literally BROKE down!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: I literally BROKE down! Reply with quote

Quote:
I once had a rock flip up and puncture my oil filter on my 2.1.

this happened to me too... so I make an oil filter shield...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I literally BROKE down! Reply with quote

I was concerned about that too (missing my Syncro engine protection) so I relocated the oil filter near the taillight/coolant tank. It adds oil capacity and gets the filter higher up. BUT, it means opening the engine cover to remove the filter and then oil spills all over the side engine tin/shield.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I literally BROKE down! Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:
I once had a rock flip up and puncture my oil filter on my 2.1.

this happened to me too... so I make an oil filter shield...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After my incident, I made a shield out of a double layer of 1/2'' mesh hardware cloth that I slip over and hold in place with a loop of wire.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: I literally BROKE down! Reply with quote

This must be an off road problem, except for Dave and me?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: I literally BROKE down! Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
This must be an off road problem, except for Dave and me?

I think with road debris, almost any roadway presents the possibility of damage.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: I literally BROKE down! Reply with quote

Certainly was a problem for the last Concorde to leave Paris. Runways are hardly off road.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: I literally BROKE down! Reply with quote

In my now mothballed 83 Air-cool, we were many miles up the Dempster Highway in the Yukon, stopped to walk on the Tundra. On the way back to the vehicle I smelled gasoline. Inspection revealed "wet" fuel line between tank and filter. I decided to leave it alone until later.

Well, it seemed to run just fine until we got to Normal, Illinois. Then, the Van began to slow-down to about 35 MPH. I exited at Downs, Illinois ......... nothing but corn fields. I headed toward town, then, low and behold, I saw a shop with VWs, Audi's, etc., sitting outside. Thirty minutes later we were on the road. (that's the short version of the story)

The hose had collapsed restricting fuel flow. I do remember a thump from something I hit on the highway at least two weeks earlier.

Like others have said, I consider it a very rare incident.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: