Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So this was the problem. It was wrapped in elec. tape so I couldn't see. That's the wire going from the battery to terminal 21 in the black box. The wire was spliced or joined with a black wire that completed the run to terminal 21. I am trying to figure out the safest way to run a new 8ga wire from battery to terminal 21. It looks like someone in the past wired the battery/starter more to the '82 specs. Making the run from battery to fuse box with one wire and then putting a wire on pos. post of starter to feed terminal 21 (glow plug relay and a couple other 10ga red, red/wht wires) sounds more better. Really appreciate people's patience with me. I am glad I learned a bit despite all the difficulty.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Great news that you found the culprit!
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Indeed sir. I really need to spend a bit more time reading and learning about the van. I'm going to watch those vids you linked sometime today.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Holy carp man. With the new wire going from battery to terminal 21 in black box the van started as soon as I turned the key to start. No cranking I swear, it just roared into life. The old wire joint must have been compromised since before I even bought the van. Thank you so much to anyone who gave me advice. All for free!!!!!
Chillerchill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Having the same problems with my '83 vanagon 1.9 diesel. Trying to track the problem down. I can start it jumping the solenoids on the starter, cleaned the ground from the battery to the engine it started from the key a couple times but now nothing. The glow plug light doesn't come on anymore, after pulling it out and looking at it, could there be a short in there stopping the connection from the ignition to the starter?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

Chillerchill wrote:
The glow plug light doesn't come on anymore, after pulling it out and looking at it, could there be a short in there stopping the connection from the ignition to the starter?

After pulling what out? A short in where?

If you are referring to the glow plug relay, then I do not think that any fault within the glow plug relay can prevent the van from cranking. None of the cranking circuit passes through the glow plug relay.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: No start on "83 Diesel 1.6 Asking for help Reply with quote

The glow plug light I'm not sure of, weirdly I am having that issue after installing aftermarket dash circuit board. If you didn't find the issue yet, start with the #8,9 fuse. Check voltage there while you turn the key to on. If all good then go to the engine bay and start checking stuff at the black box. That positive post, #21 was the way I found my issue. Pull all thick wires off post and find the one that connects to the starter or directly to the battery in some cases. Make sure that wire is one solid run to either source. Also have you already swapped out ignition switches? That would be my first goto.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: