Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

Like it says in the title got a weird situation here
Got spark set timing ran engine through with test light lights on all 4
Checked pump got a shot of fuel on three cranks
Got compression approx 110
Test ran the engine BEFORE I put it in the bus ran flawlessly
Put engine in the bus rechecked everything just in case I missed something by rights it should just fire up
I rechecked the timing and fuel with the engine in the bus put new plugs in for a better spark
I’m going to try some quick start so I don’t burn out my starter but really I shouldn’t have to anyone else have this situation before?

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

Remove #1 spark plug, check that it is not wet with fuel, that would show you that the engine is flooded. Reinstall it in the spark plug cable and set the plug so it is touching ground and you can see the gap for spark. Turn on the ignition switch and turn by hand a ratchet wrench (if engine somehow starts while you are turning it, you will be glad you used a ratchet wrench) on the gen/alt pulley nut. Find where you get spark at that plug. When you see that spark check for color of the spark and shut off the ignition. Check #1 rockers are both loose to the valves. If so that should be TDC for that cylinder. If one or both of the rockers is tight on the valve stem, then it sounds like your distributor is not pointed in the correct direction or the spark plug cables are not in the correct place. If that is all fine then what is the color of the spark? Yellow is bad, white tinged with blue is good.

Good condition used spark plugs are just as good if cleaned and adjusted, as new plugs that are adjusted properly. There is a great hand tool to clean and adjust plugs, with that you should get 30,000+ miles on a set of plugs, of course barring and random failure of a plug.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trk...p;_sacat=0

Best tool has the little brush and kind of butter knife to dig out any carbon from around the electrode in the spark plug.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

Is your transmission ground strap installed?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

Thanks Eric yeah I had weak spark!
I did get some t to run eventually using the hand crank and a shot of ether.
The culprit seems to be a worn out rotor
Unfortunately 6volt needs to be perfect since the starter turns slow 😠 I see ww
Has a quick start wiring kit has anyone tried this?

Mini R53 bob the tomato
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

66 dormi wrote:
Thanks Eric yeah I had weak spark!
I did get some t to run eventually using the hand crank and a shot of ether.
The culprit seems to be a worn out rotor

Are you using 2 gauge battery cables? Makes a huge difference.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Is your transmission ground strap installed?

Yes 6volt is so finicky I did one better and replaced it with a new one

Mini R53 bob the tomato
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

2 gauge ? The thicker ones lol

Mini R53 bob the tomato
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

Ok I checked battery ground is 1 gauge,positive is 2 I believe it came from a rover diesel trans ground is 1 gauge as well
When I had the motor on the test stand which is 12volt it fired up easily weird….

Mini R53 bob the tomato
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

66 dormi wrote:

Better to clean all the wiring connections up, apply dielectric grease to keep moisture and oxygen away from corroding up those surfaces for as long as possible into the furture, and tighten each connection back down.

We had a starting problem that got so bad as to require jump starting the 1963 single cab each morn and then it would start without jumping the rest of the day. Then next morn need to jump start it again. Cleaned and checked all the wiring connections for how much voltage from battery was getting thru, and got it to slightly work better that the starter engaged quicker when ignition key was turned. So no longer turned and waited for the stater to engage the flywheel. Still needed to jump start each morn. So pulled the starter and cleaned the transaxle and starter surfaces where they mated together, starter turned a bit faster, but still needed jump starting or charging up after two or three days of sitting. Pulled starter again to pull off the starter solenoid to take apart and see if the contacts and plate were the problem. Flipped the plate, reinstalled the solenoid and starter in the SC, and the starter worked a little faster, but again after a few days it would not start without jump or charging. Finally pulled the starter to polish up and dielectric grease the solenoid to starter surfaces where they mate together, which really looked fine and shiny. Suddenly the starter worked even faster and now even two weeks later without charging or jump you can turn the key and the starter engages right off and turn the engine. Now the problem is after a week the carb can be dry of fuel and that takes too long often to get fuel back up to the carb by cranking the engine. Fuel tank in the trucks is lower than the normal type 2 buses.

Moral of the story is that any hard/quick/hot start relay is not going to fix any of the grounds and not fix voltage drops in your wiring to and from the fuse box. All your electrical items other than the starter get the main voltage from the fuse box. Having headlight as bright as possible and wipers working faster means you can see things like that deer or abandoned car in the road before you hit it on a dark rainy night. Having your turn signals as bright as possible and the running lights means other drivers are more likely to see you and understand that you are turning /braking sooner so they have less chance of crashing into you. Having a horn that is load and reliable to wake up other drivers is required. Having a horn that you have to turn off the headlights and wipers to get it to work SUCKS.

Have only seen one VW that required the hard/quick/hot relay, and that was due to the DPO had shorted out the wire from the ignition switch to the starter. That wire was fried to perhaps half of the original copper wire thickness so it could not pass the needed Amps to get the starter solenoid to function properly. Otherwise in a normal VW situation the relay is not a guarantee that it will improve the starter function.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

http://type2.com/library/electris/vw-hauptlicht-schalter.html

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483901&highlight=fuse+box+soldering
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

66 dormi wrote:
Like it says in the title got a weird situation here
Got spark set timing ran engine through with test light lights on all 4
Checked pump got a shot of fuel on three cranks
Got compression approx 110
Test ran the engine BEFORE I put it in the bus ran flawlessly
Put engine in the bus rechecked everything just in case I missed something by rights it should just fire up
I rechecked the timing and fuel with the engine in the bus put new plugs in for a better spark
I’m going to try some quick start so I don’t burn out my starter but really I shouldn’t have to anyone else have this situation before?

I had this situation on my 57 bug until today. Changed the fuel pump, push pin was not worn, all electrics good. Wouldn't start. I put on a new hose from the pump to the carb and it started right up ... a new hose was all I needed.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:

I had this situation on my 57 bug until today. Changed the fuel pump, push pin was not worn, all electrics good. Wouldn't start. I put on a new hose from the pump to the carb and it started right up ... a new hose was all I needed.

Doubt that the new hose was the fix. Probably needed to prime the fuel pump and carb.
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp won’t start I have spark and fuel and compression any ideas Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
iubhounds wrote:

Doubt that the new hose was the fix. Probably needed to prime the fuel pump and carb.

With the old hose, I was getting no gas from the pump to the carb. So yes the carb and pump needed primed but it was the new hose that made that happen. Two weeks ago I had a gearhead friend come over to check it while I tried to turn it over. Both ends of the old hose were dry as a bone. I think the new pump fixed that problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: