Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sliding door inside latch
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

What is up with my inside sliding door latch? the lock specifically??

The locking lever will only move about a 1/4 inch.

Thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

You can only move that when the door is fully latched front and rear, close the door and then turn the handle up so the back sucks in and clicks, then try it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

remember that on the slider, they have an inside and an outside lock which are independent of the other.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
remember that on the slider, they have an inside and an outside lock which are independent of the other.

Yep, They unlock how they were locked.... If you use the key to lock it, you have to use the key to unlock it.

If you lock it inside, you have to unlock it inside.

My problem is the inside lock lever only moves 1/4". both levers inside and outside will open the door. the key will lock the door.

My issue, that is not critical, is the inside lock lever.
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

I have this issue on my bus as well - to a degree.

My bus was really rebuilt up to about midway up the sides because of rust, rust, rust. Part of this was that the shop had to rebuild the sliding door track.... and didn't get it exactly correct (along with about 100 other things.. but that is another story). Of course, I did not install the slider until maybe 6 months after I got my bus back from the shop.

The front about 6" of the bottom door track has about 1/2" of play "in and out" (towards the bus - and away from the bus). The top does not. The shop just did not know about the precision needed here - and assumed the door could be adjusted to compensate for any slop. (wrong)

The 'normal' way of closing the door sort of has you pulling "out" a bit as you slam the door closed. If I do this, the door will not lock from the inside. If - when I slide the door closed - I "push" into the frame as it slides closed, it will then lock and unlock properly.

I have adjusted this thing about a million times and cannot get it to work 'properly'. Right now - I live with the irritation. The little lip of the latch locking tooth gets hung up on the edge of the receiver on the frame and won't allow it to lock. (Yes - I have also adjusted, shimmed, Dremeled the edge, of the receiver also). As far as I can tell - this is just 'friction' on the latch that needs to be overcome, but I am not willing to break anything to see if I am correct.

I think my issue may be very uniquely mine because of my now crappy door track, but this alternate method of forcing the door shut might help you a bit. It won't hurt. (lets hope its not just a Riviera thing).

Good Luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type2_Personality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

My 71 developed a similar problem. I gave the door lock mechanisms (inside and out) a good lubrication with TriFlow and that worked really well. In my case I think it was just a lack of lubrication.
400,000+ West Coast USA Miles
Too Many Dead Shows To Remember
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

Do they disassemble easily?

In my case the little lock lever won’t go down no matter if the door is clised or not.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

from what I have read here, no.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

Mr. Bentley describes the process of adjusting the cables and rods between the two mechanisms very well, there's even pictures with arrows and stuff. If the rods are out of adjustment the front latch may not think the rear one is playing along.
The front unit is not easily dismantled, the rivet like things holding it together are a one time use deal, that's not to say you couldn't carefully put all the bits back up against the door and use the screws that hold it to the door to keep it together. A soak in some solvent, and a bath in an ultrasonic cleaner is the best I've managed, it works great unless there's a broken spring inside.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Type2_Personality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

In my case the little lock lever won’t go down no matter if the door is clised or not.

I did not disassemble mine, gave it a couple of shots of TriFlow on the inside, outside and the center locking mechanism between the inside and outside on the door itself. Sprayed the lube and worked the handles easily back and forth and it did free everything up.
400,000+ West Coast USA Miles
Too Many Dead Shows To Remember
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

Reviving this to get better clarification.

I could not move the small switch prior to installing it, or once installed.....

However, I got in the bus, closed the sliding door and the little switch moved the full amount. I assume this is probably spelled out in the owners manual??

But here is how i see it working....

* fully close the sliding door.
* rotated the large handle backwards and hear a click (which did not sink in from Busdaddy's comment)
* push the small switch down FULLY
* large handle will not move (open the door)

So you now have locked the door Rolling Eyes

As I have read several times, you cannot unlock the door from the outside, if you locked it from the inside.... and vise-versa. Seems to be a 72 design feature!

So my sliding door lock does actually work.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: sliding door inside latch Reply with quote

Sounds correct for a 68-73 door.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: