Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lovnangel1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Seriously thinking on selling my '58 Ragtop, I've had over 35 yrs. Bought in Germany and brought back here with my grandpa in the early 70's. It's a one of a kind. no rust and all the goodies. Please, need some feedback on what it's worth?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

You have started 3 topics asking about the value.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Things I see that will decrease value. Left rear fender isn’t original. Looks like it’s had later taillights mounted at some point. Headliner is incorrect. Rear decklid is wrong. Has push button latch. My guess is it got hit in the rear and took out the rear fenders and decklid as a minimum. Rear bumper looks to be a reproduction and it’s crusty. Further supports a rear end accident. Since little care was shown to replace with correct parts it’s probably safe to assume the same lack of attention to detail was given to the rest of the repairs. Would be curious to see the engine as well as the aprons. Front hood looks to be wrong as there isn’t a badge. Hard to see if the holes are there for one. If not, its not likely a 4 tab which are getting harder to find nice ones. Again, would like to see front apron and under trunk area. What’s the rust situation? Right running board looks funky in the 14 year old pics you’re using. I’m assuming it hasn’t gotten better. How are the channels? Floor pans? What’s the interior look like? The car looks a little rough. 14 years hasn’t probably helped. If you legitimately want a valuation on your car you need to provide more information. But as has been pointed out in the last two threads you’ve started on this, you can glean a decent idea based on the classifieds here.

Good luck.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

I’ll tell you what terry schuler told me back in 1982 when I asked him what my 56 oval was worth, 100 dollars then he sent me a pic of his split and convertible. Terry if you are reading this I still think that was a dick move nearly 40 years later.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

To be fair the other 2 topics are from 2007.

Almost all the same pics from 2007 though, as Sharp64 pointed out in his detailed feedback, so current and more detailed photos would help assess current value.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

"I have had the car for over 20 years and the older lady I got it from said her husband brought it over when he came back from the military. "

Funny now it is Grandpas bug Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’ll tell you what terry schuler told me back in 1982 when I asked him what my 56 oval was worth, 100 dollars then he sent me a pic of his split and convertible. Terry if you are reading this I still think that was a dick move nearly 40 years later.

As usual Zundfolge ...what the hell does your answer have to do with the topic he has asked?? NOTHING. Who cares!

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
"I have had the car for over 20 years and the older lady I got it from said her husband brought it over when he came back from the military. "

Funny now it is Grandpas bug Laughing

Technically the old lady could be his grandma. Just sayin.

Well as with both previous posts the OP appears to have vapored. See you in 2035!
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Lovnangel1 wrote:
Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop

It's "Hey".

But that's not so polite either !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Tammy, roll it back into the garage, we will just wait for the estate sale.

Type 3
1968 Squareback
Lovnangel1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Sorry so late to the hater party as I was in an accident and have had 3 back surgeries since last post. I truly just wanted some input on the value as it is all original and one of a kind! It is and has been stored this entire time and looks exactly as shown in pictures. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

$11000 to $12000.....with what I see ....again id have to see in person, or more detailed pics
IMO, go to oldbug.com and take Randys suggestions on photograph the car..
Thomas

You can flog an old horse, but you cant beat a good ass.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
slo356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

To the OP, sorry about your setback. Glad you're back.

I would say $10k to $12k seems fair for both buyer and seller. If I were a buyer I would like to see any paperwork or documentation of the car's history, any spare parts that would be included in the sale AND how the car drives.

You might want to do a thorough cleanup (including engine and chassis) and paint detailing to improve your car's "curb appeal".

Btw1, current photographs are a must. As mentioned above, engine image and any glaring issues.

Btw2, are you really sure you want to sell? Type 1's are pretty cool cars...
Hakka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

I could not help myself.

Beautiful car and sorry about the misfortune and health! Good luck Very Happy
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Where is the radio antenna?
What color is the interior?
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

It looks like it could be a money pit so I would think it's a project.
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Wow guys, you fellas sure think you are funny sometimes. No wonder some people I meet at VW shows have such a negative view of the Samba!

Tammy, I sent you a PM about your car. I'm sorry to hear about your surgeries, and I hope you are doing better!

Ryan C

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

10K is a reasonable price. If someone really wants it and you don't care to sell it quickly then you could get closer to 15K, but be prepared to sit on it up to a year, maybe more.

8K and it will sell fairly quick.
David23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Bug-nut wrote:
Wow guys, you fellas sure think you are funny sometimes. No wonder some people I meet at VW shows have such a negative view of the Samba!

I'm sorry to hear about your surgeries, and I hope you are doing better!

Ryan C
looks like a beautiful car ! If it doesn't have any serious issues, I would think someone would be willing to spend 10-15 k , gasoline at 6.00 a gallon and that car probably gets 25-30 mpg and an extra 50 SMILES per gallon !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hay, I need some help with the value of my 1958 Ragtop Reply with quote

Your speedometer should be an 80 mph version with the clear needle. No big deal but nobody else mentioned it. The price of these cars like everything else has gone way up. I paid 9 grand for my '62 ragtop just a couple years ago and feel it's worth at least 50% more. O'yeah I installed an unoriginal 80mph speedometer in mine because I like how they look.
Photo of my '62 rag.
You could probably sell your car pretty quick for 12000.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: