Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hesitation at constant throttle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

I am having a problem with my friends bug i am heling him with .
It accelerates great , but when your cruising at a constant speed ,i can feel it has a slight hesitation, was thinking it could be the fuel pump . Any thoughts on this ? thanks.

1600 dp , rebuilt 34 pict3 from volksbits. all new intake / exhaust gaskets and intake boots. svda bosch dist., new cap ,rotor, points and condensor, new plugs and wires, timing at 7.5 idle , 29 full advance with hose off and plugged. Valves adjusted .
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

Have you checked the fuel level in the bowl immediately after one of these runs? I've assuming you have a Bentley to look up the value as I don't know it off the top of my head, but if the pump isn't putting out enough volume at speed that could be one cause of that. Also, what size main and idle jets did Tim install on the carb?

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

I havent checked the bowl level. i do have the bently manual though. The carb is straight from tim and was just intstaled , so assumed he set the float level already.
I dont know what jets tim installed. I had him set it up for a 1600 with svda and 34 pict 3. just like my engine has and mine runs great.

thanks for your help
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

sorry , i see what your saying check the fuel level not the float setting . ill look into it.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

i am having almost the same issue (higher rpm hesitation ) it will be interesting to me what you find , i am also leaning towards fuel pump but have to run tests .
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

Check the fuel filter?

And be sure there is not more than one of them!

Also, sometimes it is the filter sock in the tank.

Seen a kinked fuel line exhibit the same complaints.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

I just replaced the fuel filter and lines last month, when i put his engine back in. I believe the problem is rust in the tank /metal fuel line. I swapped out the pumps and when i did no gas was coming out of the fuel line from the tank. I checked the fuel filter and there was only a small amount of fuel in it and i could see allot of small rust particles. He drove it about 20 miles to my house . But now it wouldnt even start and i saw no gas in either fuel line. I blew the line out with compressed air and he could hear the air going into the tank. put it all back together and now the gas is flowing out of the line from the tank at the pump. and we took it for a test drive and it is still a little hesitation. but better. i think that the line is clogged / restircted and the pump is having to suck the gas out of the line, so its not enough flow. seems better bow but i think we need to remove the tank and check all the lines and tank for rust . maybe run something through the line like a brush and then clean it all out.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

I'd bet you need to replace the sock in the tank.
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

fez68 wrote:
I just replaced the fuel filter and lines last month, when i put his engine back in. I believe the problem is rust in the tank /metal fuel line. I swapped out the pumps and when i did no gas was coming out of the fuel line from the tank. I checked the fuel filter and there was only a small amount of fuel in it and i could see allot of small rust particles. He drove it about 20 miles to my house . But now it wouldnt even start and i saw no gas in either fuel line. I blew the line out with compressed air and he could hear the air going into the tank. put it all back together and now the gas is flowing out of the line from the tank at the pump. and we took it for a test drive and it is still a little hesitation. but better. i think that the line is clogged / restircted and the pump is having to suck the gas out of the line, so its not enough flow. seems better bow but i think we need to remove the tank and check all the lines and tank for rust . maybe run something through the line like a brush and then clean it all out.
when you get as far as the steel lines ,just get a couple of parts cleaner aerosol cans and spray it inside the line till it comes out the other side (place a rag on the end to catch debris) repeat when can is empty .

After cleaning tank and hard lines ,install filters (and new hoses)and change filters after hundred miles or so, good luck.
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

[quote="Igpoe"]I'd bet you need to replace the sock in the tank.[/quot

thanks for your input.
fez68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
fez68 wrote:
when you get as far as the steel lines ,just get a couple of parts cleaner aerosol cans and spray it inside the line till it comes out the other side (place a rag on the end to catch debris) repeat when can is empty .

After cleaning tank and hard lines ,install filters (and new hoses)and change filters after hundred miles or so, good luck.

good idea👍
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: hesitation at constant throttle Reply with quote

I fought a similar issue, and the last item that fixed the problem was installing a new metal chassis line from the tank. The og one was rusted internally, and would continually flake rust particles off into the filter, eventually clogging it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: