Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

Here's the water pump that came out of my 2001 Forester Automatic donor. So this could be used in lieu of Tom's adaptor?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

that may work. i was referring to this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291474507584?fits=Model%3...SweW5VYnDg

note, that is some bobo junk one but subaru makes the same one.

i'd be more inclined to run that as you can have the hot water tickle the 'bulb' side of the t stat. basically, tom's adapter did the same thing as the water pump i linked by spacing it down and pissing hot water right at the bulb

you may be able to use that thermostat cover but i would suspect you're temps may be a bit 'spikey' with that cover. this is a non issue in a stock subaru that holds very little coolant, but may pose an issue on the 500 gallons the vanagon holds

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

Here a WRX pump I found at the U Pull. Stock pump on the right.

I'm thinking I'll use it on my build. I like that it doesn't hang down and the cap already points to the side. The timing belt cover fits just fine. The crusty stuff on the inlets cleaned right off with CLR.
I'll use this to cap off unused inlet.
https://www.amazon.com/HPS-Temperature-Reinforced-...amp;sr=8-4
This car apparently had a good quality timing belt kit and water pump put in just before getting wrecked. I grabbed all the made in Japan idlers and Aisin pump for around $20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

SG, to me that appears to have the fitting on the 'wrong' side of the T-Stat.
it won't be in 'constant flow' as is required. it would only flow when the T-stat opened. which may be ok for the OE transmission return loop. but not satisfy the lack of return water via the heater hose from a vanagon shut off valve.

so NOPE. this alone is insufficient.

either a turbo water pump, a Shiels adapter or a return loop heater valve.

Silverghost500 wrote:
Here's the water pump that came out of my 2001 Forester Automatic donor. So this could be used in lieu of Tom's adaptor?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

This is the one you want
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/subaru,1994,le...+pump,2208

Don't forget get Subaru thermostat, not generic.
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

Glad you guys pointed that out in my picture! I realized too that the connection with the hose on it in my pic is for outbound coolant to the oil cooler beehive.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

it's actually inbound/returning coolant.
the T-stat regulates the return (cold supply) side of the loop.

the small hoses that attach to the Pump are returns from their various loops.
heater core return and trans cooler return (and turbo return)

the trans cooler return will be closed when the T-stat is closed
where as the heater (and turbo) returns are in constant flow.. and this gives the T-stat an positive indication of the coolant temperature
unless installed in a vanagon with a closed non-returning heater valve.

sorry to be pedantic but it's best to stay clear on this and iron out any confusion..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

There is a two nipple WP for the auto trans Forrester available in 2002 (Rockauto).
The rear facing (on van) nipple might make a tight fit with the Smallcar mount but a 90 degree hose should work.
There is a side facing two nipple available for the 2004 turbo Forrester (even a three nipple)
Cast impeller was better than the stamped last I read. The original Subaru WP gasket is metal.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

Like anything in life
the position of the nipple is important.
again, if that rear facing automatic nipple is as in the image posted above..
then it is on the wrong side of the waterpump to properly flow to prevent overheating of a vanagon installation.
just because it has an extra one, does not mean it will function as needed.
wesitarz wrote:
There is a two nipple WP for the auto trans Forrester available in 2002 (Rockauto).
The rear facing (on van) nipple might make a tight fit with the Smallcar mount but a 90 degree hose should work.
There is a side facing two nipple available for the 2004 turbo Forrester (even a three nipple)
Cast impeller was better than the stamped last I read. The original Subaru WP gasket is metal.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

i'm just going to throw this out....

i'd pony up for a subaru pump. even the aisin pumps i have used don't seem to hold up as well as a genuine subaru pump even though they are made by aisin.

i for sure wouldn't use a rock auto pump or rock auto anything in the timing belt area. call me a parts snob but i have seen too much in all of my years doing this for a living

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

Rock auto has the aisin pumps I thought these were factory?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

they are, but for some reason they don't seem to be as good as one from the dealer.

i use to use them but i had 2 leak. one with 20k on it and the other with 35k

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Subi Swaps-To Reverse Coolant Manifold or Not Reply with quote

[quote="danfromsyr"]Like anything in life
the position of the nipple is important.
again, if that rear facing automatic nipple is as in the image posted above..
then it is on the wrong side of the waterpump to properly flow to prevent overheating of a vanagon installation.
just because it has an extra one, does not mean it will function as needed.
wesitarz wrote:
[/quote

Don't think so. The two nipple WPs on Rockauto and shown on the Ebay link are different from the pic shown by the OP. Both nipples are topside.
I got a NPW WP from Ebay that has worked just fine. Aisin and GMB are both Made in Japan I think. Rockauto parts work just fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: