Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

Ha ha after reading this thread, I was finishing up a shift rod bushing repair and went threw my old bolt can looking for OEM hardware. Spent an extra hour finding the Karmex? bolts that hold the shifter down and the bolt the attaches the Battery Ground strap to the body. Cleaning them up on the wire wheel worked great...its a sickness. lol
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

I am going to second the plug for your my local ace hardware. I have not once gone in and felt like they didn't do everything to help me. They actually have a really good selection in store and can order much more.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

A third vote for ACE! They sell great work pants and carry EGO power tools Wink
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Ha ha after reading this thread, I was finishing up a shift rod bushing repair and went threw my old bolt can looking for OEM hardware. Spent an extra hour finding the Karmex? bolts that hold the shifter down and the bolt the attaches the Battery Ground strap to the body. Cleaning them up on the wire wheel worked great...its a sickness. lol

This is fine if you feel better using og hardware, but here are a couple things to think about for every one else reading.

Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the shifter bolts? While some feel the og fasteners are of high quality, which they are, a fastener can be destroyed whether it’s high/low quality if over tightened. I know multiple people that could twist off an 8mm fastener with a 3/8 ratchet, regardless of the bolt strength. And as most have pointed out, you will never see them.

Most og bolts I know of are black oxide finished. While this is a poor coating for corrosion, a wire wheel usually removes all of it. While you may not have an issue in CA, someone in a more Northern climate of greater temperature variations would have a wire wheeled bolt corrode fairly quickly. If you are using this as a ground bolt, corrosion will eventually alter the quality of the ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Cleaning them up on the wire wheel worked great...its a sickness. lol

The wire wheel will remove and protective plating so they can quickly start to rust.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

Well FUCK!...I didnt torque them and I wire wheeled them. I am off to ACE to get some quality fasteners. Rolling Eyes
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Well FUCK!...I didnt torque them and I wire wheeled them. I am off to ACE to get some quality fasteners. Rolling Eyes

Yep, cuz even here in snobby California, our wire-wheeled fasteners rust quite quickly. Get on it Bill! Smile
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

This is how you could do some plating at home. So maybe theres two schools of thought here. One use original type fasteners that you replate using kit at home or two obtain new aftermarket fasteners. I’ve seen a third way kinda cheap but you can heat the fasteners then quench in oil, wipe off excess and install. https://www.eastwood.com/ew-electroplating-system-tin-zinc.html
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

I've seen ppl use the heat and quench method before, but I've never tried it. I think that process is called blackening, vs. using chemicals to impart a black oxide coating.

I just leave mine soaking in ATF for awhile, then dry them on a paper towel. I haven't noticed much rust this way, but I don't live in a rusty area.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

I do black oxide, parkerizing and zinc plating at home without buying expensive "secret" ingredients from companies like Caswell.

My favourite is parkerizing which is used in rifle/gun-smithing of the metal parts. All you need is some phosphoric acid, manganese oxide (a pigment available at pottery supply places) an old croc pot for heating and some water, preferably distilled but tap water is usually OK. Heat the chemicals, drop in the cleaned bolts and boil for a while and you get a very durable finish for all your bolts.

Just google parkerizing and you will see lots of DIY suggestions.

Similarly with zinc plating. My home-made zinc plating bath provides a non-bright zinc plate more akin to what the original car came with rather than the commercial super-bright zinc. You can add brightening chemicals, yellow zinc or gold zinc solutions too but I don't bother as the parts look too "new".

With a modicum of research and some simple shop bought chemicals you can do pretty decent jobs.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

The original kamax or whatever hardware actually seem very solid. As mentioned before, almost everything is black oxide.

I personally, am not a purist. So I don't care about the originality argument.

MCmastercarr is your BFF imo. Measure what size bolt or whatever it is your wanting to replacing on your car, and select from whatever grade or coating or bolt style you want.

Its the 21st century. Its OK to use 12 point or triple square bolts on your vdub.

I prefer buying new hardware for 3 main reasons.

A. Its new, and not rusty and in need of recoating.
B. The anti corrosion coating is fresh.
C. You have many more options. Like high grade SS which looks nice and last longer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

That's some nice-ass 10.9's there, you guys must be snobs out there in Georgia! Smile
Is it just my monitor or did you not replace the rusty one holding your wheel cylinder on?
Solid choice on the shocks too, Gas-A-Just suuuuuuuck.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

haha thanks. the goal is to build this car better and stronger than new. the only other snob i know here in Ga would be Jake Raby. everyone else is ummm. not a snob Laughing

i knew someone would catch that. yeah, its very rusty. i just havent ordered new ones yet. other than those 2 bolts everything else is either new or recoated originals.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
While you may not have an issue in CA, someone in a more Northern climate of greater temperature variations would have a wire wheeled bolt corrode fairly quickly. If you are using this as a ground bolt, corrosion will eventually alter the quality of the ground.

amen. i wire wheeled some og bolts to a glossy finish and installed them as is because i was in a rush. Good Lord those suckers rusted sooo bad within a few weeks out in the elements. they looked 10x worst than when i has pulled them.

i has similar results with lightly brushed fasteners. either replate/coat them or buy new ones.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:

If you are taking the time to order new hardware, why not order the correct length? Wink
Just bustin’ your chops man.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Buying Original Hardware for '67 Beetle Reply with quote

Simply just an error on my part when I ordered. Measured right. Not a biggie
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: