Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chirping noise when moving off (manual trans). (Solved)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Chirping noise when moving off (manual trans). (Solved) Reply with quote

We've had a few squeaks and squeals in the past - usually belts or alternator/AC bearings. But this is a new one on me.

There's a chirping noise when the clutch is released when moving off - but only when everything has reached operating temperature. We can't hear it while moving and the clutch fully engaged - but there is usually so much road noise etc that it could be drowned out.

There's no noise in neutral with the clutch released, and no noise in any gear or neutral with the clutch pedal depressed - only in the action of releasing the clutch.

Some googling suggests this isn't a release bearing or pilot bearing problem, but vibration of the clutch fork or pivot. I really don't want to drop the transmission if I can avoid it, as our driveway is sloped and safely raising the van enough would be problematic.

I'm not that familiar with the Vanagon clutch (yet!), so am asking here if anyone with some in-depth knowledge can advise the best course of action.

Solution - see https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9719851#9719851 - both A/C idler pulley and compressor pulley bearings replaced.

Last edited by fxr on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chirping noise when moving off (manual trans). Reply with quote

My 1973 VW Thing has a squeal in the drive train when cold which is somewhat clutch related. Been that way since I bought it back in 2010. Throwout bearing and pilot bearing have both been replaced with no change in the noise, so until is causes me some kind of inconvenience I will just live with it.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chirping noise when moving off (manual trans). Reply with quote

Further investigation, with Mrs fxr as eyes, ears and engaged brain, proved that it was nothing to do with the clutch, any accessible belt, but purely down to the throttle being opened from idle, or with the engine under a lugging load. The video below is with the gearbox in neutral, clutch engaged. Perhaps an engine mount? Note it's a Subie EJ22, KEP kit installed by Buslab.

Link

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Chirping noise when moving off (manual trans). Reply with quote

Finally fixed. It was that dreaded scourge - two almost identical problems in series. Both the A/C idler pulley bearing and the compressor pulley bearing had a tiny bit of 'grundle' - enough to make them squeak when rapidly changing speed. So removing one or the other made no difference.

Both bearings now changed for the grand sum of $19. Smile That's a bit better than $80-odd for the idler assembly or ~$230 for a refurbished compressor!

Me, I didn't mind the 'chirp' so much, but Mrs fxr insisted... Wink

All now happy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: