Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VJP5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Really intrigued with the basket and started looking closely as to how it attaches and sizes. It appears you have the Mega Warrior with the 20" extension. It's really nice. And the prices don't seem too outrageous. I was a bit surprised to see it mounts on cross members, so now I understand why you have 4 of them. The basket itself weighs 30# and so with the extension of 16# it's now 48#. In any case it seem you have 73" in length.

You are correct. I have the Mega Warrior with the extension, which makes it 48"x74", although due to the curves, my deck is only 45"x71". Still, plenty big enough for 2 people. It is super nice, too. When all is said and done, I will have about 70#s available for dynamic weight movement, which is way more than I will need. Some people have used 2 extensions, but it is not recommended by Yakima. With my set up, I have enough room in the front to still be able to mount a solar panel Laughing

So I now have 2 coats of black, oil-based semi-gloss paint on the bottom and sides.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am using Thompsons Water Sealant on the top (thank you Steve) and will put my first coat on today. Wait 48 hours and put my 2nd coat on.

While that is in process, I stopped at the hardware store to pick up a couple of those clamps to see which size would be best. Of course, no project can ever be without a hang-up or two. So here is the next hurdle:

The 1/2" clamp is really tight, to the point that it will be a challenge to feed the bolt through as the holes do not line up directly over each other.

The 5/8" clamp is a touch to big. The holes line up perfectly, but it is NOT a snug fit. It's not loose enough to move, especially with the weight of the plywood. But it is not as tight to the bar as I would like.

So.....do I go smaller, knowing I will be putting stress on those thin tabs, and challenging to put the bolt through, or do I live with a just a teenie bit of space but no stress on the tabs?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

VJP5 wrote:

The 5/8" clamp is a touch to big. The holes line up perfectly, but it is NOT a snug fit. It's not loose enough to move, especially with the weight of the plywood. But it is not as tight to the bar as I would like.

So.....do I go smaller, knowing I will be putting stress on those thin tabs, and challenging to put the bolt through, or do I live with a just a teenie bit of space but no stress on the tabs?

I can buy small squares of rubber sheet for gasket material at a local hardware store.
If you can find any in the right thickness you could cut it into strips as a shim for the clamps so you could use the 5/8" clamps.

Make sure you get the water sealer into all the holes drilled into the wood.
Duncan is correct about them being a source for the wood rotting.

Looking good! I routinely stand on mine and think twice before you move around up there! 😁
For anyone curious about how it handles my weight between the four Yakima crossbars I have 1" x 1" angle iron running the full length of the sides and they help support the weight.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

Another advantage the roof rack gives you is a place to mount an extra set of tail lights up high.
I got caught in a torrential downpour coming south on I-95 one time and the second thing I saw was that I could not see any tail lights from the cars in front of me because of the water spray from the tires...nobody could see any brake lights.

So first thing after that I added a light bar across the back.

Even though they are LED lights I found out they work better using a powered trailer turn signal light harness to have full 12v up there.
I'm going to change them for brighter lights because they are okay at night, but day time in bright sunlight is not where these Amazon lights shine!
I have the same lights Idaho Doug has used on his Vanagon rack.

Last edited by Steve M. on Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:24 am; edited 2 times in total
VJP5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

Make sure you get the water sealer into all the holes drilled into the wood.
Duncan is correct about them being a source for the wood rotting.

Looking good! I routinely stand on mine and think twice before you move around up there! 😁

You would think the older you get, the more patient you would become, but alas....not for me. 10 more minutes of searching and I found 9/16" SS clamps. As the little bear would say.....Just right

I am absolutely going to fill the holes with sealant. My wife is ready to shoot me as she didn't realize (I never told her) how long this would take. I've tied up our small little porch area for a couple days, and will need a few more to let the sealant dry. I see a crab leg and wine sunset dinner in my her/our future Very Happy

Last edited by VJP5 on Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:

Steve and I seem to hang out in different types of boat yards.

Duncan

Yeah...I'm on stinkpots! ☹️ I like having a bigger cabin!

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

Ya know??--------------maybe we're being a little too anal about this.

The owner told me he has had it up for two generations. The A face (side the basket is on) is in pretty fair shape, but it faces north. Odd, this means you're always shooting into the sun.

Maybe the thing to do is just paste any old thing up there anyway you can and go enjoy it. Tweaking can happen over the winter when you have a better idea of how you are going to use it and so on.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

I built one for my van. I used 3/4" marine ply ala Steve M, along with a sheet of diamond plate. I over-killed it. Strong, but way too heavy. The other issue is that 1 sheet only covers so much of the roof. Ideally, you want to have it cover the entire roof to reflect sunlight. The area in the cabin that was unshaded got very warm in direct sunlight. This heat would radiate through the entire cabin and kind of null out the shaded section - like leaving a toaster oven on all day long in the van.

I really like this roof in the link below, but very expensive. I think that setup is around $5k with the additional panels w/ship to US

https://www.gtv-van.com/en/gtv-gmb-vw-t3-modular-roof-rack-system-complete-ki.html

Link

IMO, a stock westy pop top would be the best sun blocker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
I built one for my van. I used 3/4" marine ply ala Steve M, along with a sheet of diamond plate. I over-killed it. Strong, but way too heavy. The other issue is that 1 sheet only covers so much of the roof. Ideally, you want to have it cover the entire roof to reflect sunlight. The area in the cabin that was unshaded got very warm in direct sunlight. This heat would radiate through the entire cabin and kind of null out the shaded section - like leaving a toaster oven on all day long in the van.

My solution for that and the place to mount a solar panel:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661562&start=80

VJP5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

My solution for that and the place to mount a solar panel:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=661562&start=80

Wow! That looks great.

My SS hardware is supposed to be delivered today so I am hoping to complete my project this weekend.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

tjet wrote:

I really like this roof in the link below, but very expensive. I think that setup is around $5k with the additional panels w/ship to .

Six (6) crossbars?!!! Holy moly! Is that for style, because I can’t envision putting that much weight up high.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
VJP5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

Finally Done!

I have (22) SS clamps and 8 screws in the middle to secure it down. 9 clamps on each side and an extra 2 in the middle, front and back edge. Then I screwed a pressurized 2x4 to the 2 middle crossbars and then 4 screws from the deck to the 2x4s on both. I have been trying to think of how this could come apart but I think it's on for good. 90% of the time I will be driving with nothing up there.

The 9/16" clamps did the trick. All but 2 are like this:

I have 2 that are not as snug (but hard to believe that's enough space to have the whole sheet come off).

Thanks to everyone for all the input, advice, and information. Cannot wait to plan a sunset dinner with the Mrs.

Last edited by VJP5 on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

You should have mafe it look like a dog was holding the phone! Laughing

Congratulations on finishing.

DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:
I would use a bunch of rubber hose clamps. I don't like the sight of "U" bolts.

This is how I mounted my solar panel. The best part, is that the rubber gets sandwiched between the the metal bar and the solar panel for some sort of anti vibration.

https://www.amazon.com/LOKMAN-Stainless-Cushioned-...4&th=1

pemzOr Where did you get it? Who makes it? $$$$?

This is my ideal roof rack and the best I've seen so far. Most systems rely on a bunch of gutter towers with cross members and then the basket/rack goes on top of that thus making the rack crossmembers redundant. The beauty of this is the sides which support the load cross members are connected directly the the gutter towers making it lighter and with less windage. The only design mod I can imagine would be to make the sides vertical. This way it could be mounted upside down if the owner wanted a flat platform base. Say for the plywood discussed in this thread.

I'm going to experiment with an old aluminum extension ladder for the sides. If I cut the rungs off and use the sides to go front to back with some bolted on cross members, it might be strong if there are three towers. Perhaps some 5/8" ply could be put on the flanges of the ladder sides. If on top, then you have a full uninterrupted platform and if they are fastened on the inside at the bottom, you have a tray. It's possible without the rungs, the side pieces will just flop all over the place. However, extrusion dies are not much money if you don't have hollows so perhaps a fella could have solid aluminum sides and get the necessary strength.
VJP5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:

You should have mafe it look like a dog was holding the phone! Laughing

Congratulations on finishing.

LOL....I was glad to be able to still hold the phone. It was way too hot to be doing this today but I wanted it done.

Thanks for all your help.
pemz0r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

Hey DuncanS,

It was custom made during the second owner's time with the van. I can ask her where she had it made, keep you posted, https://www.instagram.com/p/CLQHllAFlxQ/. I can tell you that the rain gutter mounts are from Smittybilt because I had to have them all replaced from rust and metal fatigue.

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-HDS-6-Heavy-Gutt...amp;sr=1-1

Hey VJP5,

Glad you went with my idea!! They work perfectly, and I don't think you need to worry about the slack. Have fun on top of your rig Very Happy
VJP5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Help with attaching plywood deck to Yakima Roof Basket Reply with quote

pemz0r wrote:

Hey VJP5,

Glad you went with my idea!! They work perfectly, and I don't think you need to worry about the slack. Have fun on top of your rig Very Happy

Thank you very much! I was very nervous about having to pre-drill all of the holes. It would really look like crap (not that anyone but me would see it) if I had to re-drill them. Fortunately, only a couple missed the mark. All in all, very happy and (fairly) confident Rolling Eyes that it will not 'lift' when driving on the freeway without a load.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: