Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mtolleson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

I did some searching and didn't find anything on the forums.

I use my refrigerator as an ice chest when I'm without shore power. I assume the cooler that came in the standard Westy has a drain, but I know that my refrigerator doesn't have one. Has anyone drilled a drain in their refrigerator? Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Mark
95 Saab 900 Vert
01 H-D Sportster Hammer 1275
03 Yamaha FZ1
05 Saab 9-3 ARC 2.0T Vert, Lime Yellow
09 Saab 9-3 AERO 2.8T Vert
13 MINI Cooper JCW 6sp
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

I use my fridge similarly and while I've considered adding a drain I haven't done it yet. I could swear I've seen someone else mention doing this though.

What I have started doing rather than using ice, though, is frozen ice packs of some kind or another. Your freezer is typically colder than the gas station ice cooler's so you're already starting with a lower temp thing, and there is generally nothing left but a little condensation that is fairly easy to wipe up.

I made a few big ones by reusing a few of those square-ish juice containers and filling them with the gunk that comes in ice packs. We've ordered food a few times that come with them, so I've just saved those. Fill the jug, dye it blue, squeeze it down to allow room for expansion, and freeze.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

I don't think it would be hard, drain fittings for beer tap drip trays are perfect for the job, something like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/352322901465
You'll have to uproot the cabinet to get at the bottom and dig through the insulation to install it, a vinyl hose through the floor would be easy enough to add at the same time.

Don't overtighten it though, the plastic in the fridge is old and brittle, just enough to get it to seal should do.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

cheap ass case of water in the 12 oz thin plastic container from my chain mart dont explode when frozen, and fit around things in the icebox nicely, and when partial melted, drink up.
mtolleson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

All great suggestions. To some of them my problem is that I bring icepacks with me but by the third day out they have thawed so my only option at that point is to buy ice at the campground, which melts and fills up the fridge. If it drained as it melted it would be fine.

Mark
95 Saab 900 Vert
03 Yamaha FZ1
13 MINI Cooper JCW 6sp
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

The drain in my 1977 fridge:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

I had an icebox in my 79 Canadian Westy and it never had a drain.

When I got my 77 Westy, I converted the Fridge into an icebox and installed a drain. I drilled a hole all the way through and used a solid metal toilet fill tube as the drain - flush fit and siliconed in place:

Easy Peasy and works great. I have since moved from ice in bags to freezing a slim plastic empty vinegar jug (filled with water) to cool the icebox. As said - no leaks and stays frozen for days, plus you can use the water once it melts.

I still like having the drain - it makes for easier spill cleanup.

Part like this - just remove the washer part on top:

1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
mtolleson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

Great idea. I’m going to do the same.

Mark

Globespotter wrote:
I had an icebox in my 79 Canadian Westy and it never had a drain.

When I got my 77 Westy, I converted the Fridge into an icebox and installed a drain. I drilled a hole all the way through and used a solid metal toilet fill tube as the drain - flush fit and siliconed in place:

Easy Peasy and works great. I have since moved from ice in bags to freezing a slim plastic empty vinegar jug (filled with water) to cool the icebox. As said - no leaks and stays frozen for days, plus you can use the water once it melts.

I still like having the drain - it makes for easier spill cleanup.

Part like this - just remove the washer part on top:

95 Saab 900 Vert
03 Yamaha FZ1
13 MINI Cooper JCW 6sp
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

The PO did mine, 78 Westy, not as nice as the one pictured but works very well. I use a couple of ice blocks in the bottom, cool or freeze all food and plug in fridge a day prior to departure. Use Zip lock bags for all food to keep dry. Fridge is very well insulated and I find it helps to put a couple of towels on top. When ice blocks melt put ice cubes in, melted ice drains out on ground, keeping food dry & cold for days.
Slip
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

Thru hull connectors are practically made for this! They sometimes come with a seal from what would be the inside of the fridge (or it would be easy enough to make/get some other kind of seal if it didn't), and then a barb to connect a hose. One of those with a vinyl tube is how I'd attach it. I imagine you could get access from the fridge's vent to push the tube on from below.

Anyone know where the actual location of the hole for a cooler version would have been? I might have to go ahead and do this.

Here's a fancy one:
https://www.e-rigging.com/3-4-Stainless-Steel-Low-...ZwQAvD_BwE

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

The advantage of the solid toilet fill tube is that you can drill from the top all the way through and push it through. No access underneath required.

I drilled a hole the same diameter of the tube for a tight fit, then a slightly larger hole at the top to account for the flare and allow it to sit flush.

If you use something that sits above the bottom you will still get standing water.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
mtolleson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 76 Westy Refrigerator Drain Question Reply with quote

My bus was a standard so there is a drain hole in the floor already. I’m going to drill up through that through the bottom of the fridge and use the toilet fill tube as suggested. I can let you know where the old drain was.

Mark

vwwestyman wrote:
Thru hull connectors are practically made for this! They sometimes come with a seal from what would be the inside of the fridge (or it would be easy enough to make/get some other kind of seal if it didn't), and then a barb to connect a hose. One of those with a vinyl tube is how I'd attach it. I imagine you could get access from the fridge's vent to push the tube on from below.

Anyone know where the actual location of the hole for a cooler version would have been? I might have to go ahead and do this.

Here's a fancy one:
https://www.e-rigging.com/3-4-Stainless-Steel-Low-...ZwQAvD_BwE

95 Saab 900 Vert
03 Yamaha FZ1
13 MINI Cooper JCW 6sp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: