Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:46 am    Post subject: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

Hey all, having an issue on my 1968 bus. I was driving home a couple of weeks ago and I could feel some brake drag. No problem, figured I just needed to adjust the shoes as I had recenlty put new ones on. It got worse and worse as I drove home. By the time I got home, it was dragging so badly that it was like driving with the E-brake on. Passenger side rear wheel was hot and smoking. Let it sit for a few days until I had time to look into it. Got the drum off, decided to replace the Brazilian wheel cylinders with FTE German ones, readjust the shoes, bleed and be done. Problem is that after one pump of the pedal, the same passenger side rear wheel brake shoes go all the way to the drum and do not release, like the brake fluid pressure can't travel back through the line and into the reservoir. Now, I did a search here on the forums and the consensus seemed to be that the brake hose on that wheel must have gone bad on the inside and may be acting as a check valve, not allowing the fluid to travel back through the line. No problem, cheap fix, replace the hose, right? Only that didn't fix the problem! So search some more, and read up on adjusting the Master Cylinder push rod. Seems simple enough. I remove the pedal cover/skid plate, check the push rod and from what I can tell, it doesn't seem horribly out of adjustment. Bentley calls for 1mm of play between the rod and master cylinder piston. While it seems like it might be slightly more than 1mm, I'm pretty positive that it's no way more than 2mm at the most. The way I understand it, the piston needs to come all the way back to not block the compensating port so the fluid can return to the reservoir, correct? Wouldn't the push rod have to be adjusted too long for that to happen? How could that happen if I am a half a mmm to 1 mm shorter than recommended? My next thing to try was going to be to back off the push rod and then readjust it to the 1 mm spec. If that doesn't work, what's next? Remove the Master, clean, reinstall? Master isn't super old, but not new anymore either (5-7 years old). I'm super stumped, so I appreciate all suggestions/ideas at this point. I've never had this problem in the 25+ years I've owned this bus.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

Hopefully others will have other ideas too, but I think the idea that maybe something is wonky in the master cylinder makes sense. Perhaps some crud got in there and found it's way into the port for the rear brakes or something to that effect.

OR

Perhaps a bit of crud found it's way into the brake line when you replaced the cylinder, and has finally made it's way to some point in the lines between the front and back that it is acting as a check valve.

So maybe you could unhook the line from the back of the wheel cylinder and just run a bunch of fluid through the lines and see if you get anything out?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

If it was the master cylinder more than just one brake would be acting up, I'm going with the crud in a line (maybe even one of the hard lines) playing check valve as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Perhaps a bit of crud found it's way into the brake line when you replaced the cylinder, and has finally made it's way to some point in the lines between the front and back that it is acting as a check valve.

So maybe you could unhook the line from the back of the wheel cylinder and just run a bunch of fluid through the lines and see if you get anything out?

This sounds like a good place to start.

busdaddy wrote:
If it was the master cylinder more than just one brake would be acting up, I'm going with the crud in a line (maybe even one of the hard lines) playing check valve as well.

This was my thinking as well. Since it's only the right rear, I'd assume it would have to be after the hard line splits into 2 at the rear, correct? I've already eliminated the rubber hose part of the equation, so my main suspect should be the hard line going from the hose to the wheel. Makes sense to me, but if you guys see any flaw in my logic, feel free to let me know.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

Check the shoe return springs. If that isn't it, remove the hose from the wheel cylinder and from the Tee, and blow air thru it. See if it is restricted.

A single master would affect all 4 brakes, a dual master would affect the front or rear. The problem is downstream of the rear tee. That means either a hose, line, or return spring. This assumes it worked right at one time and that it hasn't been assembled wrong.

ALSO make sure that the hand brake cable is not sticking.
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
The problem is downstream of the rear tee. That means either a hose, line, or return spring. This assumes it worked right at one time and that it hasn't been assembled wrong.

ALSO make sure that the hand brake cable is not sticking.

SGKent, this is where my thinking is heading. I've changed the hose, reinstalled the return springs/shoes/e brake lever so I'm pretty sure the assembly is good to go. It was all working properly before this happened on my last drive. I'm starting to think that maybe the e-brake cable is sticking a bit. To get the drum on I have the shoes adjusted as far in as they can go and can still feel/hear them slightly touching the drum if I spin the wheel. I'm still at work at the moment, but might have a couple hours to fiddle with it later. Gonna inspect the e-brake cable and I will update this post. Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

What happens when you open that bleeder on that wheel after you have pumped the brakes up? Do you get a slight squirt? Can you hear the brakes returning? What happens when you open the bleeder on the opposite side of the car?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

Are your star adjuster locks in place? Could it be that your shoes are getting tight from movement of the star adjusters?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
What happens when you open that bleeder on that wheel after you have pumped the brakes up? Do you get a slight squirt? Can you hear the brakes returning? What happens when you open the bleeder on the opposite side of the car?

When I open the bleeder on the locked up wheel, yes, get a nice squirt of fluid and the brakes release from the drum. Haven't tried the bleeder on the opposite side.

aeromech wrote:
Are your star adjuster locks in place? Could it be that your shoes are getting tight from movement of the star adjusters?

Yeah, star adjuster locks are in place. I didn't get a chance to look at yesterday, but gonna inspect the e-brake cable a bit more closely. The shoes seem to be pushed out a bit even with the adjusters as far in as they can be. Should have some time this weekend to dig into it again.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

Pull the drum and take some pictures
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

the line or hose, wheel cylinder where the line comes out is plugged up. The squirt and retraction is proof of that.

Last edited by SGKent on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

Thanks all for the suggestions. Gonna dig into it tomorrow morning before the temps crawl up to triple digits and I'll see what I can find and will update you all here.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

djdh68dlux wrote:
Thanks all for the suggestions. Gonna dig into it tomorrow morning before the temps crawl up to triple digits and I'll see what I can find and will update you all here.

see my edit. I typed 'main' but meant 'wheel cylinder where the main port is that goes to the line.'
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

I would remove the rubber hose to that wheel as the symptoms are the same as an older hose with swollen inner rubber, fluid goes in but return springs are not strong e`nuff to return it, that said did you replace the brake springs?
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
I would remove the rubber hose to that wheel as the symptoms are the same as an older hose with swollen inner rubber, fluid goes in but return springs are not strong e`nuff to return it, that said did you replace the brake springs?

I already tried replacing the hose with a new one. Also, even though I didn't mention here, I replaced the return spring.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

djdh68dlux wrote:
Starbucket wrote:

I already tried replacing the hose with a new one. Also, even though I didn't mention here, I replaced the return spring.

so another test would be to bleed the brakes, then expand the one so it binds on the drum. Loosen the line at the tee and see if it squirts and the drums collapse. If not loosen the next fitting and see if it squirts and the drum collapses. When you get to the spots between no collapse and collapse there is your restriction.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

How did you adjust the brakes when you rebuilt them, adjust one shoe 4 clks then the other shoe 4 clks until you got contact? if not you may have shoved one piston off center blocking the inlet.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

I did drum brakes for the first time ever this summer. It was harder than I thought. I adjusted them with the wheels off and checked as I adjusted by pulling the drum on and off and checking progress. It took me awhile to get it right. Then pulling the unadjusted parking brake lever caused something to rub and make noise. It went away after I adjusted the slack out of the e brake cables.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I did drum brakes for the first time ever this summer. It was harder than I thought. I adjusted them with the wheels off and checked as I adjusted by pulling the drum on and off and checking progress. It took me awhile to get it right. Then pulling the unadjusted parking brake lever caused something to rub and make noise. It went away after I adjusted the slack out of the e brake cables.

You might want to loosen the ebrake cable.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Right rear brake shoes lock up after one pump of the brakes Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

You might want to loosen the ebrake cable.

I entertained a sticky brake cable earlier on, but the squirt of fluid when opening the bleeder, and resulting brake release points more towards a one way restriction in a hard line right now. Although it also sounds like a read through the Bentley about brake adjustment (including the E brake) may be in order after dismantling the hard lines and flushing/blowing everything out.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: