Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Considering dual carbs for a 73 Super. Opinions/Suggesti
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Considering dual carbs for a 73 Super. Opinions/Suggesti Reply with quote

I have a stock 1600 with DVDA and 34 Pict3 in my 73 Super. I have rebuilt my carb and purchased an NOS vacuum pod for my cleaned and serviced distributor. I still get unreliable idle, sometimes racing, sometimes dying.

I am ready for reliability.

What dual carb suggestions would you make with an eye towards reliability and economy instead of raw horsepower?

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Considering dual carbs for a 73 Super. Opinions/Suggesti Reply with quote

40IDF, their clones, or the Solex kits from CB performance.

However, it all depends on the state of the engine. If your engine is tired you may find it still behaves poorly once you swap carbs, and you'll be fighting that while tuning the new setup.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering dual carbs for a 73 Super. Opinions/Suggesti Reply with quote

I know that you said you rebuilt your carb but that still could be your problem.....it was for me. I then had Tim at volkblitx (spelling ?) do my carb and everything has been great. I believe that, since you're looking for reliable performance, you'll be more happy with a 'good, stock, all German designed' setup.

Good luck and I hope this help.

ol' mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering dual carbs for a 73 Super. Opinions/Suggesti Reply with quote

If it was mine I'd chase down the gremlins completely in stock format before adding to the drama with aftermarket performance parts.

I have had a stock 1600 dual port with dual empi 34 clones and an open stainless GT exhaust and a lightened flywheel and really liked it. No chokes though, so it was an angry boy when asked to start in the cold.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Considering dual carbs for a 73 Super. Opinions/Suggesti Reply with quote

I agree with Bugee that you should get the car to idle and run smoothly first. Simply adding dual carbs might multiply your problems. It's possible you dvda still isn't advancing smoothly and returning to 7.5btdc accurately. The duals are a great idea for easier drivability and increased mileage. The accelerator pump volume on them must be correct for ease of starting in cold weather. I use the Empi 34 kit, works nice for me!
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering dual carbs for a 73 Super. Opinions/Suggesti Reply with quote

Yes. I have considered the possibility that something else is wrong with the engine, and I understand dual carbs could complicate finding the problem. Like the subject says, I'm considering my options.

The thing that makes me think the engine isn't the issue is that the symptoms are not consistent. Were it a compression issue, I would think that the symptoms would not change or go away. I have considered that a rebuild kit and the machining would have a similar cost as a Weber IDF kit.

Thank you for your ideas and concerns. This is what I was looking for, though I thought maybe more people would chime in.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Considering dual carbs for a 73 Super. Opinions/Suggesti Reply with quote

The question is how much of a deep dive have you done to actually diagnos what's going on? i.e. timing light to see what the advance is actually doing, checking for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner spray, compression check, etc etc.
Have you checked that the idle shut off solenoid if functioning properly?

I'll echo what others have said, dual carbs are an added level of complexity, even if you're 1000% sure the carb is the problem
Igpoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Considering dual carbs for a 73 Super. Opinions/Suggesti Reply with quote

If you should choose to go with the dual carbs I personally think 40idf might get a bit too complicated for your 1600. You must consider how to obtain the proper vacuum for your distributor. You'd likely have to drill and tap a manifold to get enough. Then you may have to balance the manifolds by doing the same to the other. Or you would ditch the dvda for a 009.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: